Jo Derry Registered MBACP (Accred).
I am an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist with a busy practice. My aim is always for us to build a strong and supportive therapeutic relationship so that you can feel safe and trusting enough to discuss and explore whatever is going on for you.
Perhaps you have experienced thoughts, feelings, situations or relationship challenges which have caused inner turmoil or anxiety. These may be long-term and may have lead to negative patterns of behaviour. Perhaps you are concerned about upsetting or worrying others in your life. Or would like to explore concerns further outside your current relationships. I am here to listen and will not judge what you have to say. I'm here to help you make sense of the things that you feel and to help you to make your own choices about how you move forward in your life.
I know that through exploration and challenge of thoughts and feelings, self awareness can be developed, resolutions can be found, things can change.
You can trust that I will act in your best interests at all times and adhere to the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Ethical Framework.
If you think I can meet your needs please do get in touch. I am happy to offer an initial telephone conversation prior to meeting during which we can talk about the 'headlines' of your concerns and how we can work together. I can offer day time and evening appointments.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Fully trained, experienced and Accredited counsellor and psychotherapist. I have a particular interest in working with adult clients experiencing concerns related to all types of abuse. I also regularly work with clients facing relationship issues, anxiety, panic, stress-related problems, transitional problems, self-esteem and confidence issues.
- Trained and experienced bereavement counsellor. I have vast experience in this field and have worked with adult clients at St Albans City & District Bereavement Service, Rickmansworth Bereavement Service and Peace Hospice Care. I am also experienced in working with adult clients who are facing a life limiting illness personally or of someone important in their lives.
- Trained and experienced Counsellor of young people (aged 11-25 years) for Signpost Youth Counselling Service working with anxiety, stress, anger, eating disorders, sexuality issues, relationship problems and anything that affects young people's lives.
- I have a Diploma in Childhood Bereavement and am experienced counsellor working with children, young people and families who are bereaved or facing the life limiting illness of someone important in their lives. I have been part of the Supportive Care Teams at Peace Hospice Care and The Hospice of St Francis, Berkhamsted.
- Trainer of courses/workshops on Childhood Grief, Loss and Bereavement.
- Trained and experienced bereavement helpline facilitator.
- NLP Vision BACP endorsed hypnotherapy course
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Relationship issues
£50 per session.
Some concessions available. Please do talk to me if payment is a concern.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer daytime and evening sessions.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|