Jane Blake MBACP
Welcome, my name is Jane.
It is normal for us to feel that we are struggling to cope from time to time & from my own experience as a client, I know it takes real courage to seek support. If you are feeling stuck however, I may be able to help you.
I am an approachable, friendly & compassionate counsellor qualified to work with adults, young people & children. I work in a variety of ways, providing both talking therapy & I also use creative interventions which are primarily music-focused. I value your individuality & it is important to me that I work sensitively & flexibly, adapting my approach to best suit your needs. I strongly believe that counselling is a collaborative process & the relationship between us is based on respect & deep trust.
With regard to talking therapy, I work integratively from a range of theoretical perspectives. I provide a safe space where you are fully accepted & invited to talk openly at your own pace about your concerns. It may take a huge weight off your shoulders when you realise that it is not your fault that things aren't going well for you. Reflecting on your history may clarify why difficulties have emerged & enable self-acceptance when you need it most. Greater self-awareness may reveal hidden strengths of yours which you were unaware of & help you to face the future with a newfound confidence.
I also use creative interventions when words fail. It may be hard to find words that seem adequate for all sorts of reasons. Sessions can include music (active or receptive) alongside other mediums such as art or play & this may unlock internalised thoughts or feelings & provide another welcome avenue for communication.
Your needs & wishes may frequently change so I regularly check that I am working in a way that is comfortable & beneficial to you. Sessions can be entirely for talking, or working creatively, or a mixture of both according to your wishes.
In essence, I believe that counselling is centred on your empowerment & I aim to help you live your life in a more fulfilling way with an increased sense of purpose & balance.
I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy) & abide by its Code of Ethics.
I am able to offer counselling in Appledore, & Barnstaple & I also have access to a counselling room in Bideford.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Guided Imagery & Music (GIM) Level 1, Eastbourne House Arts, London
- Post qualifying Diploma Counselling Children & Adolescents, Iron Mill, Exeter
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling Level 4 cpcab (BACP Accredited), Towerhouse, Barnstaple
- Understanding Autism ncfe Level 2
- Understanding Substance Misuse ncfe Level 2
- ATCL Music, Trinity College
CPD - Continuing Professional Development
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Creativity for Wellbeing
- Creative & Symbolic Methods
- Introduction to Art Therapy
- Introduction to Psychodrama
- Mindfulness & Self-regulation Strategies
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Self-harm & Risky Behaviours
- Behaviour Therapy
- Family Relationship Problems
- Sexual Abuse - dealing with disclosures
- Facilitating Emotional Expression
- Addiction & Bereavement
- I currently work at Young Devon with clients aged between 12 - 25yrs.
- Counsellor, Assessor & Student Mentor - Clarity, Barnstaple
- Counsellor - NDADA, North Devon Against Domestic Abuse, Barnstaple
- Phone Counsellor - WAND helpline, Barnstaple.
- Facilitator of therapeutic Talking Group for adults with anxiety & depression
- Facilitator of therapeutic Music Group for adults with communication difficulties
- Assistant Facilitator for Music Group for adults with mental & physical disabilities
- I currently teach instrumental music privately to adults & children & in a local school.
- I have supported young people with behavioural & hearing difficulties within an educational establishment.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
I offer a free initial 30 minute session face-to-face or by phone. This is an important time for you to ask any questions. It is also important for me to ensure I have sufficient skills & experience to support you.
Subsequent sessions last 50 mins and cost £35. Concessions are discretionary.
If you would like to make contact, please feel free to leave your name & number on my phone or send an e-mail & I will make contact as soon as I can & within 24hrs.
I am able to offer counselling sessions in Appledore, Barnstaple & Bideford.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client