Jacqui Lichtenstern UKCP & EAGT Reg. Psychotherapist, MSc Gestalt Psychotherapy
70 Borough High Street
18A Heriot Road
07947 163 902
I am a UKCP registered Gestalt psychotherapist with over eleven years experience, working flexible hours at two practices in central and north London, both easily reached by public transport.
I offer brief, long-term and ongoing therapy contracts with adults as below:
- Individuals: 50 minute sessions, weekly, short term and ongoing contracts
- Couples: 50 or 80 minute sessions, weekly, fortnightly, or as needed
- Psychotherapy Trainees: 50 minute sessions, weekly, as required
You are welcome to book an initial 'taster' consultation at a reduced rate - see Fees section below
What situations can I help you with?
There are many difficulties that can feel overwhelming when struggling with them alone, and meeting with a professional therapist can be a significant first step in finding ways to support yourself with the challenges that are a part of life. These may include:
- Major life events i.e. becoming a parent, starting a new job, moving house, ‘mid-life crisis’, migration and bereavement.
- Personal challenges i.e. depression, stress, panic attacks, anxiety, compulsive or addictive behaviour, relationship difficulties and fertility issues.
- Past events impacting the present i.e. coming to terms with childhood experiences, trauma, abuse, relationships and loss.
- Ongoing issues i.e. sense of feeling ‘stuck’, unhelpful patterns of behaviour, issues of identity & belonging and the meaning of life.
- Relationships i.e. couples wanting help with relationship problems, looking to re-find love and passion, needing extra support during difficult situations, or wanting help in facilitating a respectful separation or divorce.
- Personal Development an interest in increasing self-awareness, developing your potential, moving towards living a more meaningful and fulfilling life.
What can you expect from therapy sessions with me?
- A safe, contained space for you to share your experience and to be heard in a non-judgmental way.
- We will explore together the situations that are troubling you and focus on increasing your awareness of present moment to moment experiences and any repeated patterns in your life.
- Gestalt therapy is creative, experiential and experimental, and each particular therapist and client will co-create the process together, fine-tuning a balance between support and challenge in our sessions with the potential to develop new perspectives and the opening up of choices and change.
- I work with integrity and compassion, and my intention is to 'walk alongside' you using my experience, skills and presence to support you on this part of your life's journey.
What is a taster session?
- This is an opportunity for you to get a sense of how I work before making a commitment.
- You can talk about what brings you to therapy, what help you're looking for and ask questions.
- We can look at my standard therapy agreement, clarifying details regarding fees, holidays, cancellations and confidentiality, and discussing what arrangement might be most suitable for you.
- We should have an idea of whether or not I would be the right therapist for you, but you are welcome to take a few days to reflect further, or meet another therapist, before making a decision.
- I also offer an initial 4 week contract, after which we review again about ongoing work.
It is widely acknowledged that it is the quality of the therapeutic relationship which is key to the process of healing, growth and change, so it makes sense to take time to choose a therapist who 'fits' for you.
What is the Gestalt approach?
The Gestalt approach acknowledges the inter-relatedness of all life, recognising the uniqueness of every human as existing in the context of their historical experiences, family, culture, present situations and physical environment.
Encompassing a holistic perspective means that a person is viewed as a complex whole, with all aspects - physical, emotional, psychological, intellectual, social, spiritual etc. - being valued.
My particular areas of interest & experience include:
- Couples Relationships
- Identity & belonging
- Inter-cultural relationships
- Loss & bereavement
- Migration & refugee experience
- Mixed heritage
- Transgenerational trauma
My Professional Engagement
I am actively involved in the wider UK and European Gestalt community as current chair of the UK Association for Gestalt Therapy and UK representative on the General Board of the European Association for Gestalt Therapy.
I am committed to my own ongoing personal and professional learning and development, which I get through supervision, conferences, training workshops, reading and peer groups as well as voluntary work (more details below).
I work within the UKCP Ethical Principles & Code of Professional Conduct and the Metanoia Institute Code of Ethics and Professional Practice.
Training, qualifications & experience
- European Certificate of Gestalt Psychotherapy
- MSc in Gestalt Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy
- Certificate in Integrated Counselling Skills (Person-Centred, Psychodynamic & Psychosynthesis)
- Certificate in Couples work
- Certificate in Group work
- The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) - Registered Psychotherapist
- The European Association for Gestalt Therapy (EAGT) - Ordinary Member & UK Representative
- UK Association for Gestalt Practitioners (UKAGP) - Chair
- Psychotherapists & Counsellors for Social Responsibility (PCSR) - Member
- Black & Asian Therapists Network (BAATN) - Member
- Chartered Institute for Library & Information Professionals (CILIP) - Member
- Mindfulness Practice
- Introduction to Systemic Constellations in Organisations
- Bodymind certificate course
Continued Professional Development (CPD)
I actively engage in ongoing learning and professional development through regular involvement at workshops, seminars and conferences focusing on a wide range of areas which have included intergenerational trauma, diversity & inter-cultural issues, ecopsychology, relational Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, sexual abuse, eating disorders, art & creativity, body process, spirituality and Gestalt Interactive Group Therapy.
I am also involved in other CPD, including philosophy, Holocaust education, Oral History and library & information science.
Therapy - eleven years experience working with adult individuals and couples (both short-term counselling & long-term psychotherapy)
Mentoring - psychotherapeutic mentoring to university students
Groups - Identity & Belonging, and Inter-generational dialogue - Echoes of the Holocaust
Workshops - anxiety and low self-esteem
Conference - workshops on prejudice and identity & belonging
Teaching - counselling skills in prison & assistant tutor Manchester Gestalt Centre
Social care & support work - with adults and children with wide range of disabilities and mental health issues.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Individuals (weekly)Daytime 50 minute sessions: £65
(early mornings/evenings/Saturday sessions +£5.00)
Couples (weekly, fortnightly or as agreed)
Daytime 50 minute sessions: £90
Daytime 80 minute sessions: £120
(early mornings/evenings/Saturday sessions +£10.00)
Contracts are available for short term work (6-12 weeks) and longer term and ongoing work.
Concessionary places are available according to individual circumstances.
An initial 'taster' session is offered as a trial appointment for you to decide if counselling/therapy is right for you without any obligation to continue.
You are welcome to book a 50 minute 'taster' session at a reduced rate:
- The Tulip House practice is on the third floor and the lift is only available during office hours.
- The Choice practice is on the first floor with no lift.
Please email me with any additional queries, to make an initial appointment or to arrange a phone call, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client