Isobel McGill MBACP (Reg) Dip Integrative counselling, Dip CBT
The Counselling & Psychotherapy Centre
215A Lisburn Road
I am a qualified registered counsellor working in the Belfast and Bangor areas. I provide a comfortable and supportive safe space for you to explore any unresolved issues past or present. Whilst we cannot change difficult events from the past, we can work together to better understand and work through the challenges that you are experiencing in your life. Together we can develop awareness of patterns of negative behaviour and perceptions that may be leaving you feeling stuck, anxious or depressed. The symptoms of your distress can show in a physical and mental way, holding you back from leading a fulfilling and meaningful life.
Some of the most common questions asked
Can therapy help me?
There are several benefits from engaging in therapy: you have support, learn new problem solving skills, enhanced coping strategies may be introduced to help with depression and anxiety which may stem from unresolved childhood issues, grief, stress etc. Therapists can help with interpersonal relationships and provide a fresh perspective on difficult problems. The benefits you obtain from therapy depends on how you use the process and put your learning into practice. Some benefits include
* Attaining a better understanding of yourself, your goals and values.
* Developing skills for improving and managing anger, grief, depression and emotional pressures.
* Improving communication and listening skills.
* Changing destructive behaviour patterns to new healthy ones.
* Find new ways of relating to self and others.
* Improving self-esteem and boosting confidence.
What is therapy like?
As every person entering into therapy comes with their own unique reasons and goals, the therapy will differ depending on the individual. In general, you will have the opportunity to discuss current and past events that have impacted your life. There will be reviews that will give therapist and client a chance to talk about the progress throughout therapy. Depending on the client’s needs, therapy may be short term, for specific issues, or long term, to deal with more difficult issues/ patterns. It may also be used as personal development. Therapy is usually conducted on a weekly basis.
It is important to understand that you will get more from therapy if you engage fully in the process. The purpose is to bring about positive change in your life outside of therapy.
Is therapy confidential?
Confidentiality is important within the therapeutic process. Successful therapy requires a high degree of trust as the subject matter is highly sensitive, this is usually not discussed outside of the therapy. Although there are limits to the confidentiality, this should be discussed with the therapist. The therapist will talk through or even give you written confirmation of the confidentiality agreement.
What can you expect after contact?
If you decide to contact me, an Initial assessment session will be offered, giving us the opportunity to meet. This will allow you to get a sense of what it would be like to work in this safe, confidential environment. During the session, you will have space to discuss what your concerns may be, ask questions and think about how you feel therapy may help you. From this point, we can decide together how to proceed. Short and long term therapy are available.
Training, qualifications & experience
* Adv Diploma Cognitive behaviour therapy CBT-L5
* Adv Diploma Psychotherapeutic counselling PC-l5 (training).
* Diploma Integrative therapeutic counselling TC- L4
(Psychodynamic based integrating person centred)
* Cert counselling studies
* Cert counselling skills
* Assist trained
* Cams (collaboration assessment management of suicidall risk).
* Cert safeguarding children and vulnerable adults
* Working with survivors of childhood sexual abuse
* Cert Mental health awareness
* Working with addictions L3
* VSS Co-ordinator training for befrienders.
* Understanding eating disorders
As part of my professional development i continue to train and deepen my knowledge in different areas.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
£40 per session
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Flexible, Day and night appointments available
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|