Hugh Waterson UKCP Gestalt Psychotherapist, Counsellor and Supervisor MSc MBPsS
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Jesmond Therapy Centre
7 Holly Avenue West
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Tyne And Wear
Hello. My name is Hugh. I am a UKCP registered Gestalt psychotherapist with over 15 years counselling experience. I aim to offer a safe and confidential space within which you can explore your current life issues and difficulties.Talking to an experienced professional can help you address whatever concerns you currently need support with.
Issues I work with include relationships and conflict, anxiety, depression, loss and bereavement, workplace stress, self-confidence and self-esteem issues, isolation and loneliness, sexuality and gender difficulties, and life transitions.
- If you are struggling with an aspect of your life that is causing you considerable pain and distress.
- Or you are repeating familiar patterns that leave you feeling lost and stuck.
- Or you are finding it difficult to make decisions that result in feelings of confusion and fear.
Your next step is to:
1. Get in touch with me by phone or email and leave a brief message stating when I can speak to you.
2. I will contact you to discuss any questions you may have about starting therapy with me and how we would proceed.
3.You would let me know whether you want to see me at my home in Burnopfield or Jesmond Therapy Centre in Newcastle.
4. We would arrange to meet for an initial assessment to detemine what you want from therapy and how best we would achieve it.
How we would work:
Gestalt therapy encourages a creative attitude towards life and personal growth with a focus on present experience, contact and awareness by addressing the whole person both mind and body.
In working with you, I would be supporting you to pay attention to your current thoughts, feelings and physical sensations in order to increase your self-awareness and enable you to achieve clarity and understanding of what your needs and wants are. In colloboration with you, we would identify both your strengths and blocks to growth and change and living a more fulfilling life. We would work towards helping you make better choices when deciding upon what actions you might take in the future. Where appropriate, we might also work experimentally and creatively in ways that provide you with just enough support and challenge to explore your willingness to try new behaviours and enter into novel situations.
In offering you a confidential service, I abide by the Metanoia Institute and UKCP code of ethics.
Training, qualifications & experience
Having undertaken a variety of courses and workshops during my professional training, below I list my main qualifications and accredited courses.
- MSc in Gestalt Psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute, London: validated by Middlesex University)
- UKCP Registered Gestalt Psychotherapist
- Clinical Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute, London)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Supervision (Relational Change)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Sunderland University)
- Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Counselling (Insearch, Newcastle-upon-Tyne)
- Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society (MBPsS)
- BA (Honours) Psychology (Cape Town University)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
My current fee structure varies according to whether I see you from my home or at Jesmond Therapy Centre.
We would be able to discuss fees when I first make contact with you.
We would negoitate lower fees if you are a student or on a low income.
Fees are payable by cash or cheque at the beginning of each session.
Until October 2014, I worked full-time as a Counselling Lecturer in a local Further Education college where I gained considerable experience in developing and teaching on a range of Higher Education counselling degree programmes. I have trained a large number of students in the North East of England who now work as qualified practitioners.
I continue to organise and deliver a series of one day and weekend workshops on a range of theoretical and personal development topics relevant to trainees and practitioners seeking CPD (Contnued Professional Development).
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am able to offer both daytime and evening sessions Tuesday to Thursday from either my home or Jesmond Therapy Centre.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|