H. Gareth Dean (MSc, BSc, PG Dip.Couns, Reg MBACP, BPsS)
2 Wellington Place
(+44) 7986 768 776
My focus is very much on the relationship between the client and the counsellor. I can only be helpful if you first feel comfortable in confiding, and have trust in the relationship. Once that trust is present, it becomes possible to explore a problem and gain more understanding. Once we understand why a problem is there, we can then choose whether or not we want to change, and how.
I am able to work with anyone who is over the age of 16. Most of my experience has focused on helping those with anxiety and depression, but I have found that counselling is more about working with the whole person rather than individual issues. I look forward to continuing to meet more people.
I have experience working in both open-ended and time limited sessions, and I am willing to work to the timelines dictated by clients and their needs. As part of wanting to put the client first, I offer flexible scheduling so that you do not have to commit to the same time each week. I’m also able to see people who want sessions more or less frequently than once per week, including infrequent sessions as and when.
I am BACP registered and have previously worked with the NHS IAPT service, which provides counselling to adults.
Training, qualifications & experience
Post Graduate Certificate (PG Cert) in Counselling and Interpersonal skills
- Focused on active listening, introduction to counselling as a practioner, being ethical and safe with clients.
Post Graduate Diploma (PG Dip) in Counselling and Psychotherapy –
- Applied psychology and counselling theory into practice, creating a safe environment for trust, confidentiality and a focus on forming working relationships with clients.
Master of Science (MSc) in Memory and Its Disorders (Psychology)
- Focused on language production and memory. Disorders such as Altzhiemer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease were looked at in depth, including the impact they can have on sufferers and family.
Bachelors of Science (BSc) in Psychology with Philosophy
- Has given me a broad understanding of psychological theory as well as ethics and the way that people think and express. It also has provided a lot of knowledge on mental health and healthy living and attitudes.
I am a private practice Registered Member of the BACP (MBACP). My registration number is 202963. I am also a paid registered member of the British Psychological Society (MBPsS).
Every year I undertake CPD (continuing professional development), in line with BACP regulations. I also attend the required hours of professional supervision as specified by the BACP. For more information on the BACP, please see the logo on the sidebar/footer.
Previously, I worked with in the NHS (IAPT) offering counselling to adults. I currently also do some work with Relate at present.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
My standard fee is £35 for the first session, and £45 for sessions thereafter.
Student discounts are available (please enquire).
A session is usually between 55-60 minutes long, and typically takes place once a week, although some clients need sessions which are more or less frequent than that.
I accept cash, cheque, and standing orders.
I am willing to work quite late in the evenings to fit around people who have shift work or other such commitments. Flexible sessions (different day/time each week) are possible but subject to schedule space.
I currently have availability on;
- Wednesday to Saturday, afternoons and evening.
While working with the NHS I became accustomed to being available over the Christmas/New Year period, a habit which I have continued in private practice. If you require appointments over the holiday, please let me know.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Currently Sunday to Tuesday, and Thursday to Saturday, afternoons and evening till late. Student discounts available, please enquire.
Types of client