Helen Scholes - Registered Member MBACP (Accred) Counsellor & Supervisor
Hello, my name is Helen. Thank you for looking at my profile.
When you’re feeling distressed or in need of support deciding to get help is a very positive first step towards feeling better. Finding the right kind of help can sometimes seem a bit daunting and so I have summarised below the key information you might need. If you have any questions or need more information please feel free to get in touch.
- I offer face to face counselling for adults and young people aged sixteen and over and can usually offer you an appointment within 7 days.
- I have experience of treating people with depression, anxiety, panic attacks, bereavement, relationship difficulties, trauma, family issues, life-changes, confidence and self-esteem problems, work-place issues and stress.
- You will be welcomed regardless of your social, religious or ethnic background, your sexuality or gender identity. I am committed to promoting inclusion and am comfortable and competent working with issues of identity and difference.
- We would meet in a discreet, comfortable consulting room in the centre of Shrewsbury.
- We will decide together how many sessions you are likely to need to achieve your goals. Often we can make a difference in as few as 4 sessions, but more can be available if needed.
- Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss an appointment. I also accept referrals from GPs, other health professionals, employers and Employee Assistance Programmes.
- I also offer counsellor supervision.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a Registered, Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP). BACP accreditation shows that I have surpassed registration standards, it is awarded to mature, experienced practitioners who are committed to high standards and working ethically.
During my training I studied a range of therapeutic approaches to enable me understand and help people in distress and those seeking personal growth. Experience tells me that there is no such thing as a typical client - certain types of counselling suit some people more than others, so I draw from a range of approaches to provide the right help for you.
I have worked with people from many different backgrounds and a wide variety of issues, within my private practice, a counselling agency and GP surgery settings in Shrewsbury & Telford.
In the past I have had counselling myself which had a very positive effect on my life and influenced my decision to train as a counsellor. Statistics show that 1 in 4 of us is likely to experience a mental or emotional wellbeing issue at some point in our lives. I believe that there is usually a reason for distress, that feeling unhappy is part of being human, but that we all deserve and are capable of experiencing happiness.
My previous experiences working in management roles and as C.E.O. of a local counselling service (Confide) have given me insight into workplace issues. I have also worked as a reflexologist and even a circus skills teacher! Alongside these things I have had training in healing and mindfulness and have recently trained to teach Mindful Self-Compassion.
I am bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and engage in regular continuing professional development.
I am also a qualified and experienced counsellor supervisor.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also offer counsellor supervision.
Appointments cost £40 and last 50 minutes. I also offer concessions for people on a low income and counselling students.
I am currently offering a reduced rate for counselling students and counsellor supervision.
As a psychotherapeutic counsellor, I view people holistically and in the context of their current situation and earlier life experiences.
By providing a regular time to explore feelings and talk about your problems counselling can help you get new perspectives and a better understanding of your difficulties. I don’t usually give advice, but I will help you think about what choices are available to you. I may suggest areas to explore, but the sessions are your time and you can decide what is important to be talked about. The point of counselling is to help you make your own decisions. You will be encouraged to find positive solutions that you are comfortable with.
I am able to arrange for us to meet in a room with disabled access. If you have any other specific needs please let me know.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays and evenings.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a trained and qualified Supervisor and offer either person-centred or integrative supervision to both trainee and qualified counsellors.View supervision profile