Helen Lea, Psychotherapist & Supervisor, UKCP, BACP, BABCP, EMDR Accredited.
51-53 Church Road
07708 943 002
I currently have a waiting list for clients. If you are interested in supervision please contact me for availability. (September, 2017)
Professional Psychotherapy Service - I am an integrative therapist and offer EMDR, CBT, Integrative Relational Psychotherapy. I have over 15 years experience as a therapist.
Do contact me to arrange a free telephone consultation. I am happy to discuss whether therapy may be helpful for you.
These are some of the common problems I work with:
- Trauma (including PTSD and complex trauma), as the result of an accident, sexual/violent attack, traumatic bereavement, traumatic medical treatments, or other shocking event.
- Long-standing problems which go back to childhood and still cause difficulties now. Experience of being abused in childhood, including physical, sexual, emotional abuse or neglect.
- Panic, Anxiety, Worry:
I work with the full range of anxiety problems, including Panic Attacks, Generalised Anxiety Disorder (worry), Health Anxiety, Social Anxiety (including problems with blushing and performance anxiety), OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), Body Dysmorphic Disorder or Body Image problems, Phobias (including Vomit Phobia, Blood and Injection Phobia, Flight Phobia, etc). I also work with people who are anxious about a physical problem such as dizziness or CFS.
- Depression, low mood, general lack of interest in life.
- Relationship problems: with partners, children, parents, family, friends.
- Issues of loss, including bereavement, sudden or long-term illness or loss of a role in life.
- Work stress or other employment issues (such as bullying or overworking).
My training and broad range of experience mean that I can make a good assessment of you and your problem and make recommendations about what kind of therapy may be helpful. I try to be as open as possible about the process of therapy so that you can make an informed decision about what's right for you.
I have experience of working in private practice, voluntary agencies, and the NHS. The kinds of therapy I use are:
- Integrative Relational Psychotherapy. This way of working makes our 'relational selves' the focus of therapy, so we can look at how your patterns of relating to others and to yourself (your internal structures) are getting stuck or causing difficulty. This is an explorative rather than structured way of working.
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is well supported by research evidence. It has some powerful tools and techniques for making changes in thinking and behaviour. It is a more structured way of working, which some people prefer.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) was developed to treat PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), although it is now being used for many other kinds of problems with mood. EMDR is a well-researched therapy and is usually very effective.
My strengths as a therapist are:
- a warm, friendly and empathic approach
- professionalism and being clear about what I offer and how therapy works
- being able to work on short-term goals or provide a longer term experience of explorative therapy that deepens understanding
- a strong background of training and experience
- a commitment to rigorous continued training and reflection on my work
- being engaged over many years in my own therapy and self-reflection
Choosing a counsellor or therapist can be a difficult process, particularly because there is such a wide range out there. Qualifications and experience are not the only factor. It's vital to the success of therapy to find the right person to work with, that you trust to share your therapeutic journey. If you are interested in working with me I suggest a first session where we can both decide whether we want to work together.
For further information about me and how I work please visit my website.
If you have any questions, please contact me by email or phone - I am happy to have an informal discussion before arranging an appointment.
Training, qualifications & experience
UKCP Registered Psychotherapist
Registered BACP Accredited Counsellor & Psychotherapist
BABCP Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist
EMDR Europe Accredited Practitioner
Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples (Externship attended)
MSc Integrative Psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute and Middlesex University)
Post-graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (University of Brighton)
Certificate in Integrative Supervision (Metanoia Institute)
Training in CBT Supervision (University of Surrey)
MA Social Work (University of Lancaster)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
Fees: £65 per 50 minute session
I am registered with Bupa and Aviva. I also undertake work on behalf of medico-legal organisations. Fees for insurance companies and organisations are by arrangement.
I have a comfortable and private consulting room in Central Hove. It is convenient for bus and train routes, and there is paid parking nearby.
I follow UKCP, BACP and BABCP Codes of Ethics.
I have professional insurance and supervision for my work.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Thursday, daytime and evening.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer:.View supervision profile