Gillian Taylor - Counsellor & psychotherapist - Dundee & Kirriemuir
310 Broughty Ferry Road
The Beech Tree
8 High Street
I run a small private counselling service called Uprising, based in Dundee and Kirriemuir. My service provides support and guidance, helping you to overcome your concerns safely and positively. I can and will provide a safe and non-judgemental space in order for you to discuss your concerns, explore your feelings and work towards change.I can help guide you to a more settled life, and work with you to achieve your goals. I will also help motivate you and find tools that can be applied to everyday life, making lasting change.
Making change is not always easy, but the fact that you desire change is the first step.Coming to a counsellor does not mean that you have failed , it simply means you are looking to make long-term change and are looking for support, guidance and tools to facilitate this process.
I work in an integrated approach and will tailor the therapy to suit your individual needs. In order to do so I commit to continuing professional development to find new understandings and perspectives. I also refer to recent research and attend frequent training opportunities, so you can be assured that your therapy will be based on sound therapeutic principles and approaches that have been shown to be effective.
What I can help you with..
- Depression and sadness
- self-criticism and shame
- Stress (work or life related)
- Improving confidence and self esteem
- Coming to terms with a troubled past and moving forward
- Relationship issues (individual basis)
- Finding meaning and direction in your life
- Sexual abuse (male and female)
- Domestic abuse (male and female)
- Anger management
If your concern is not on the list please do not hesitate to contact me so we may discuss this further.
- Bachelors of science honours degree , Counselling and mental health, Abertay University Dundee
- Postgraduate diploma, Pluralistic counselling, Abertay University Dundee
- Postgraduate certificate in compassion focussed therapy , with Derby University.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate in "Scotland's mental health first aid" at the hearing voices network, Dundee
- Certificate in " Understanding Chinese International students" , at the University of Dundee
- Certificate in "Depression", at the University of Dundee
- Volunteer training at the Women's rape and sexual abuse center in Dundee, this included the following-
- Equality and diversity
- Rape and child sexual abuse
- Support skills
- Working with self harm
- Ritual and domestic abuse.
- I bring over 10 years’ experience in the field of mental health to my clinical practices as a psychotherapist. These settings were run for and by people with experience of mental health difficulties, offering a wide spectrum of activities and support to enable positive self-expression, creative exploration, self-development, developing communication and peer support.
- I also worked between two counselling agencies, both based in Dundee. I worked with Insight counselling, which welcomed people from all walks of life; all social economic, ethnic and religious groups. I also worked as an associate counsellor at Dundee University; providing counselling for students and staff.
- I opened up in private practice in 2015.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
Photos & videos
Initial consultation- £20
As I respect your time and my time seriously I have found it best to start with an initial consultation where we will explore whether we are a good match and possible directions our work might take.
You are not obligated to make a further appointment, but if you wish to do so we can do this at this session or you can go and think about what we have discussed and get back to me. I'am more than happy to answer an questions or concerns you have about counselling, so please feel free to do so.
Individual counselling sessions - £35
These sessions will be a little different to your initial consultation. To start our counselling journey we will begin to untangle the strands of your difficulties. You will be encouraged to explore your feelings, emotions and thoughts around your difficulties. We will begin to form goals for counselling and will collaborate on how we might achieve these. Often our issues can seem so overwhelming, it is often hard to know where to start , but we will work on a step by step basis; one goal at a time.
Frequency & number of sessions
Typically these sessions are arranged on a weekly basis and can be spread out over time as things begin to improve. If this is not possible fortnightly can also be arranged. It is often hard to say how many sessions a person will need, as this can vary greatly. However typically we will aim for 6-8 sessions, then discuss the overall progress, and make a decision about continuing or ending the counselling. However I do encourage feedback on how you feel the sessions are going and if we feel there needs to be any changes.
I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by their codes of ethics and good practice guidelines. I also meet with a clinical Supervisor once a month to discuss and reflect on my counselling practice.
I hope you find what you are looking for.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available in Dundee Tuesdays and Thursdays. Kirriemuir on a Friday. Evening appointments are available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|