Gemma Ridge. Counsellor/Psychotherapist (MBACP). A Director at HealthWise Leeds.
562A Scott Hall Road
Hello, and welcome to my profile.
- My name is Gemma and I am a director at 'HealthWise Leeds Therapy Centre' and a qualified and registered integrative counselling therapist. I am also an accredited group worker and training consultant.
- 'HealthWise Leeds' is located in Chapel Allerton, Leeds. It was founded in 2017 by Gemma Ridge, Tracey Patrick ans Clare Beavan. For further details please visit the website below:
- I am qualified to Masters level and have a post graduate diploma from a registered and accredited course. (BACP).
- I have over fourteen years experience of one-to-one and group work with people who have a range of mental health problems.
- I worked as a Probation Officer for 12 years working with some of the most vulnerable adults with often complex emotional needs.
- I am particularly experienced at dealing with the issues around domestic abuse, relationship problems, anger management, eating disorders, adoption and various types of addictions such as alcohol and drug use.
- I am a registered member of the 'British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy' (BACP). This means that our work together will adhere to set standards for responsible and effective counselling.
- I also work for 'PAC-UK' which is a charity that supports people affected by adoption. I offer therapeutic support to families who have lost their children, and adopted adults.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Level 7 (Masters level), Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy (attained from a BACP Accredited University. 2 years).
- Working with addiction.
- Relationship Counselling.
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (1 year).
- Institute in Leadership and Management Coaching Certificate (1 year).
Certificate in Probation Studies (1 year).
BSc (Hons) in Sociology: 2:1 (3 years).
I have over 14 years experience of group work and 1-to-1 work in:
Domestic Abuse (working with perpetrators and victims)
Substance Use: Alcohol and Drug use.
Working with impulsive problematic behaviour.
Working with women with low self esteem and confidence issues.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have qualifications and experience in: Coaching, Problem Solving, Solution Focused Therapies and Cognitive Behavioural Therapies.
I am an experienced training consultant. I design bespoke training packages for companies on a range of issues:
'Mental Health Awareness'
'Domestic Abuse Awareness.'
'Working with Women in the Criminal Justice System: What Works?'
I regularly attend training events as part of my continuous professional development and consult with an experienced supervisor in relation to my work. I am CRB checked and have completed Safeguarding and risk of harm training.
Photos & videos
My fees are competitively priced. I offer concessional rates to students and people on lower incomes Fees will be discussed at point of contact.
Previous and current work experience and employment:
- 2017-Director at HealthWise Leeds Therapy Centre.
- 2015-current: I also work as an adoption support therapist for a registered charity called PAC-UK.
- 2013-2015: I worked as a therapist at Leeds Music College
- 2013-2016: I worked at 'Phoenix Health and Wellbeing' counselling people with a variety of mental health issues.
- 2003-2014: I worked for the Probation Service delivering 1-to-1 and group work to people who had committed a range of offences. I was also a supervisor and accredited trainer.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|