Gemma Holmes, Chartered Psychologist & Psychotherapist (BSc Hons,PgC,DipCBT,MSc)
Ayr Therapy & Consultancy Service
24 Wellington Square
07947966314 / 07947966314
I am a Registered and Chartered Psychologist with the Health & Care Professionals Council (HCPC) and British Psychological Society (BPS). I am also an Accredited CBT Psychotherapist with the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP) and a qualified EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) Therapist.
I am the founder and director of Ayr Therapy & Consultancy Service, which is my own private therapy and psychological consultancy practice based in the centre of Ayr. From here, I offer a range of services including:
- Individual/Group/Couple therapy and Guided Self help or 'At a Distance' Therapy
- Psychological assessment and consultancy
- Education, coaching and training workshops
- Clinical supervision for other therapists.
Individual/Group/Couple therapy and Guided Self help or 'At a Distance' Therapy
I offer specialist, confidential, specifically tailored therapy for clients based on each individual's own unique needs and circumstances. I have undertaken extensive training in a number of psychological treatment approaches which means that I am able to use an integrative approach to therapy and treat a variety of difficulties including anxiety, depression, low confidence and self esteem issues, relationship problems, stress, phobias, anger problems, body image, self harming, abuse, trauma issues and more.
I provide therapy on a 1:1 basis, or in groups and also to couples/families. I also provide an 'At a Distance' therapy service (where appropriate) for clients via Email/Skype or Phone which may include a Guided Self Help approach.
Psychological assessment and consultancy
I also provide Psychological assessments for individuals and organisations ranging from assessments for general mental health and psychological functioning to specialist cognitive assessments for dyslexia and other educational/learning difficulties. People with dyslexia often mask their difficulties well but may be struggling unnecessarily. A comprehensive assessment can allow an individual to receive the support they need which will enable them to reach their full potential.
Education, coaching and training workshops
I can provide professional and CPD training courses and workshops on a range on mental health-related topics for individuals, groups and organisations and I also provide self-help courses for personal development. Courses can be delivered face to face or online only.
Clinical supervision for other therapists.
I am also able to offer an integrative approach to supervision for other therapists including specialist CBT supervision for other therapists and trainees. I also work externally as a Clinical Supervisor on the Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) at the Centre of Therapy in Glasgow, providing CBT supervision for student therapists.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have extensive experience of working with a wide variety of emotional and psychological problems, ranging in complexity from general issues of anxiety and depression to severe mental health problems. I have over ten years' experience of working in a private inpatient psychiatric service with adults with severe and enduring mental health problems and behaviours; where I completed my training as a Psychologist. My work here involved working on a 1:1 and group basis with patients, developing and coordinating therapeutic activities and interventions on inpatient wards and supervising other professionals in the delivery of psychological/therapeutic interventions.
I have developed and manage my own private therapy practice and I also have experience of working with children and adults in educational settings.
- Professional Qualification in Forensic Psychology
- MSc Applied Forensic Psychology
- Diploma in Counselling & Groupwork: A Cognitive Behavioural Approach
- Pg Cert. Psychology & Mental Health
- BSc Psychology (Hons)
Professional Therapy/Other Training
- Cognitive Behavioural Analysis System for Psychotherapy (CBASP)
- Compassion Focussed Therapy Skills
- Mentalization Based Therapy Skills
- CogMed Working Memory Coach Training
- Professional Certificate in the Supervision of Counsellors/Psychotherapists
- An Introduction to the Theory & Practice of Schema Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) for Psychosis
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- RAID: Managing Challenging Behaviour; A Solution Focussed Approach
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Personality Disorder Awareness
- British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP) - Accredited Member.
- British Psychological Society (BPS) - Chartered Psychologist
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) Association (Europe, UK & Ireland) - Qualified EMDR Therapist.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am a Qualified EMDR therapist having undertaken specialist training for the treatment of traumas. EMDR (Eye movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) is a treatment that enables traumatic memories to be reprocessed so that they do not evoke such a strong, painful emotional reaction. Trauma memories can vary in severity, from what are termed big T's and little t's. Big T's might include memories of sexual of physical abuse, or witnessing a traumatic incident such as a fatal car accident. Little t's might be a succession of unpleasant memories such as being bullied at work, or humiliated in public. Both type's of trauma can be improperly processed in the brain causing emotional distress when recalled, which can impact on daily functioning. EMDR does not make the memory go away, but it can significantly reduce the intensity of the emotion that it creates.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
Photos & videos
I have both daytime and evening appointments available to suit on Mondays through to Thursdays and daytime appointments available on Fridays. I can also offer emergency appointments on Saturday mornings from 10am until 1pm.
Fees for self-funding clients cost £60 per hour for daytime individual therapy sessions (until 4.30pm, £65 from 4.30pm onwards), £65 for couples and £55 per hour for one to one supervision.
Fees for organisations (insurance referrals, EAP's etc) begin at £70 per 1 hour session with additional cost for the provision of reports. All fees are subject to annual review.
I am an approved therapist with Aviva and AXA Insurance therefore if you have private medical insurance with this provider then you may be eligible for funding of your counselling fees. Please contact me for more information.
For Psychological assessments and training workshops - Please contact me to discuss your individual needs.
I also offer both professional and personal development training courses and workshops in a variety of formats (including face to face or online/distance learning) for individuals and organisations on a range of psychology-related topics and mental health issues.
For Professional Development I offer training courses in:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Counselling Skills
- Self Harm
- Personality disorders
- Psychosis & Schizophrenia
I also offer personal development/self help courses in:
- CBT Skills
- Anger Management
- Anxiety Management
- Improving Confidence/Self Esteem
- Emotion Regulation
- Improving Relationships
- Stress Management
- Building Resilience
Please contact me for further details on any of the above.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday 12pm - 8pm, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 9am-8pm, Friday 9am - 5.30pm, Saturday 10am - 2pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am an HCPC Registered and Chartered Psychologist with the British Psychological Society (BPS).View supervision profile