Gail Knight - BACP Registered & Senior Accredited
I am a BACP Registered and Senior Accredited Counsellor with several years experience of working in the NHS (GP practice) and a variety of other specialist settings (see below). I therefore have experience of supporting people through many difficult and challenging situations.
My key aim as a counsellor is to create a warm and down to earth environment where my clients can feel safe and comfortable enough to open up, be honest and move forward.
It's my firm belief that counselling can help people, whether it's to deal with a specific issue which has come along or whether it's to deal with longer term problems which keep re-emerging. For this reason I offer short or long term therapy which is designed to suit your needs.
Whilst I have experience and training in a variety of issues (see below) I am particularly keen to help those who find life difficult as a result of experiencing problems in their childhood years, for whatever reason.
In order to help you in the best way possible I will use an eclectic model of counselling. This means I combine a few different training approaches and am always open to new ideas. I believe no two people, or their experiences, are alike and consequently an approach which does not rely on one single method is more suitable for helping people.
I decided to train as a counsellor because I became concerned at the way the world seemed to be progressing and I wanted to make a positive difference to people who were having difficulties coping in that world. I will do my very best for you, using my experience and professional training as a counsellor and my own experience of the difficult world we can live in.
Training, qualifications & experience
- NHS - 8 years as a GP/Medical Centre counsellor (Sept 2003 - Oct 2011)
- NHS - 2 years with East Staffs PCT offering therapeutic smoking cessation (Sept 2002 - Oct 2004).
- Private practice ( 'Knight and Day Counselling' August 2002+ ) - I am contacted by the public at large
and also take referrals from GP's, Occupational health teams and any other contacting organisations
eg. Staffs Fire and Rescue.
- Employee Assistance Associate ( 2005+ ) - I work alongside 6 EAP's counselling staff in
organisations such as British Rail, The Council, NHS, British Transport Police, The Prison Service,
Royal Mail, Probation Service etc.
* I also provide Professional Support Services and de-briefing work for some of the organisations
I also have experience in the following areas as a result of counselling clients accessing these
- Pathway Domestic Abuse (April 2013 - Jan 2016)
- Prison Chaplaincy Service - young offender bereavement (Sept 2010 - July 2012)
- Cornerstone housing charity - Lichfield (homeless) 2009
- SARAC - Sexual Abuse & Rape Advice Centre - Burton (Sept 2002- April 2004)
- ADSIS - Alcohol & Drug Services in Staffordshire - Burton (Mar 2001 - Dec 2002)
I have also been involved with befriending schemes for Age Concern and the Shenstone Live At Home
I attempt to gain a wide range of knowledge via training. A small portion of the courses/seminars attended since qualification are listed here:
Managing anger & conflict (EPB), Brief therapy for depression (Mindfields), Anxiety and depression (J Briscoe), Sexual abuse and domestic violence (SARAC), Developing assertiveness & self confidence (EPB), Self harm (J Briscoe), Understanding bereavement (Cruse), Understanding Eating Disorders (BEAT), Working with Trauma & Sexuality in the consulting room (BASRT), Living with Dissociation, Trauma and the Body, Relational Trauma, Recovery (PODS 1-4)), Understanding & Working with Dissociation (Foundation Course - ESTD & FPP), The Fast Trauma and Phobia Cure (Mindfields College - Human Givens) .....etc
- MBACP (Snr. Accred.) - BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor (2012)
- MBACP (Accred.) - BACP Accredited Counsellor (2005)
- Primary Cert. in Critical Incident & Post Trauma Management (2006)
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Humanistic) (2002)
- Certificate in Alcohol and Substance Misuse Counselling (2002)
- B.A. (Hons) - Degree in Applied Social Science (main subject Psychology 1987)
* EMDR training (level 1)
* Rewind training
** Registered with the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy.
** BUPA recognised
** ANXIETY UK Approved Therapist
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
Photos & videos
I charge £45 per counselling session.
You can contact me for a chat via phone initially or e-mail if you prefer. If you feel comfortable with me we could then arrange an introductory appointment. After this, if we both feel that I can help you and a good rapport has developed, we could then look at how we proceed in terms of more sessions. There is no obligation to continue after this first appointment.
** I am a Bupa recognised counsellor. If you have this kind of cover please check the details as you may be eligible for free sessions.
I operate from home in a small village half-way between Lichfield and Rugeley, approximately 4 miles from each.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesdays - 9am - 3.30 & 7pm - 9.20pm. Wednesdays - 9am - 3.30 & 7pm - 9.20pm Thursdays 9am - 5.00
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|