Felicity Tutton MBACP (Accred)
Hello and welcome to my profile.
I am a BACP accredited Integrative counsellor and trainee Gestalt psychotherapist with much experience in supporting adults, young people, teenagers and couples. Therapy can be shorter or longer term. I offer a confidential and non-judgemental space where we can find together a pace that feels helpful for you.
You may be reading this for many reasons, including challenging family/relationship issues, or low self esteem or confidence. Perhaps you are feeling stuck, don't know where or how to start, or have something you need to get off your chest. Anything that feels important to you is welcome!
At times we can all struggle with our mental health, which is just as much part of our-self as our physical health. Yet sadly, in my view, whereas we talk to friends about our toothache or our deteriorating eyesight, people are generally more closed about problems with their mental health, and it can become the proverbial elephant. Many things can affect it, e.g. stress, financial pressure, illness, the (great British!) weather, chemical make up, so why should it be so taboo? If you are experiencing any form of mental health symptom, or would like to look at how you can build or maintain a healthier mental health, I can offer you compassionate support. Examples of issues I'm experienced working with include: anxiety, stress, panic attacks and depression; difficulties resulting from attachment issues, or trauma or abuse, e.g. post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), dissociation; personality 'disorders' (see 'Other areas of counselling below').
As a Christian, I enjoy sharing journeys with people from different, same or from no faith backgrounds. I love diversity and and am often told I have a deep level of empathy and understanding for others. This I believe comes partly from my own valued experiences of being in therapy, which has been a significant part of helping me work through tangles in my personal life journey.
I will always accept you for who you are right now and see the therapeutic relationship we build between us as central to supporting you to: gain greater self-acceptance, awareness and choice; complete any unfinished business etc. I believe that along life's journey we can pick up beliefs, often held subconsciously, e.g. "I mustn't express my feelings", "I must always put others' needs before my own". Whilst these aren't necessarily wrong in themselves, they can become limiting. People often find that support to become aware of their patterns can help them avoid stepping in the same hole too often, which allows them more time to enjoy more pleasant experiences along the way!
I work holistically, believing that as human beings we cannot separate our bodies, minds and emotions. In sessions, for example, we will often notice and pay attention to sensations arising within our bodies, as these can offer us valuable information about how we are in relationship with others.
There will be regular opportunities for us to review how your therapy is going. Endings are an important part of the process, so we will plan together for an ending that is satisfying and supportive to you.
And finally...as an ancient Chinese proverb says,
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".
If you feel ready to step out on that journey and would like to find a fellow traveller to accompany you, then I look forward to hearing from you.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications, training and experience:
My qualifications include:
- CPCAB Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling (core models - Person Centred, Psychodynamic and CBT)
- MSc Gestalt Psychotherapy at the Metanoia Institute, London (in progress). This reflects my commitment both to working relationally and with longer term emotional, psychological and mental health issues. As part of my training, I am currently spending valuable time on an observational placement with my local Mental Health trust, so have understanding about this system and prescribed medication, etc
- CSTD Bath, where I am currently studying for my Diploma in therapeutic supervision
- BEd (Hons) in primary teaching
- Post Graduate Diploma in Special Educational Needs (Visual Impairment)
I am a member of the following professional bodies:
- BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists), as a Registered and accredited member (MBACP Accred)
- UKCP (United Kingdom Council of Psychotherapists), as a trainee Psychotherapist
- UKAGP (United Kingdom Association of Gestalt Practitioners), as a trainee member
- ACC (Association of Christian Counsellors), as a registered member
- TAG (Trauma and Abuse Group)
- SCPN (Swindon Counsellors and Psychotherapists Network)
A little more about me.
As well as my private practice, I am also:
- an accredited volunteer counsellor with Willows Counselling Service, Swindon, which offers affordable counselling in the community.
- a peripatetic counsellor with a Gloucestershire charity offering counselling to young people aged 9 - 21 years.
Previously, I worked as a primary teacher, before moving into special needs education where I specialised in working with young people aged 0 - 18 year with visual impairment. I chose to retrain as a counsellor as I realised that my real passion was in supporting people of all ages in a more holistic way.
Additionally, my life experience has given me a passionate interest in working with people of all ages from different cultural backgrounds.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am also passionate about working with:
- People who have been 'diagnosed' with personality 'disorders' (e.g. borderline personality) and asked to find their own therapy. I prefer to call these personality 'adaptations' or 'disrupted attachment issues' as see them as arising, through no fault of our own, from relationships often in early life. I can offer you support with these adaptations in a relational, non-shaming way, which can be alongside any medication you may be taking.
- Student counsellors needing their own therapy.
- Individuals of any age with learning and phsyical disabilities, impairments, etc
- Cultural diversity
As a trainee supervisor, I have a few supervision places available. Please contact me to talk about these.
Photos & videos
The first session is a chance for us to meet, to look together at any questions you may have, perhaps from what you have read here, and to explore what you are hoping to gain from therapy. This gives you time to sense if I am someone you would like to work with, and also allows me to be comfortable that I can support you with what you are bringing.
Sessions fees are:
£40 for individual therapy - 60 minutes (£30 reduced fee for initial session)
£50 for couples therapy - 60 minutes
However, I believe that therapy should be available to everyone, so am able to offer a limited number of day time concessions to those on low income. Please ask about availability of these if it would be helpful.
I accept payment by cash, cheque and bank transfer.
I offer day time or early evening sessions during the week. Counselling usually works best when we can meet on the same day and time each week, although I can sometimes be accommodating if shift work means you need greater flexibility.
Venue information OR further information
I use a comfortable, confidential and professional room (See photo). There is free parking by the building, main bus routes close by, a ramp for easy access and same level cloakroom facility.
Being based in Hucclecote, Gloucester, I am within easy reach from other areas too, e.g. Stonehouse, Stroud, the Forest and Cheltenham.
My contact details:
You are welcome to contact me by phone or email. If I unable to answer immediately, I will return your call or message as soon as possible. I look forward to hearing from you.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer day time sessions during the week, including early mornings and evenings. Please get in touch to see if I have a suitable day and time for you.
Types of client