Felicity Tutton MBACP (Accred)
Hello and welcome to my profile.
As both a BACP accredited counsellor and trainee psychotherapist, I am experienced in working with adults, young people and teenagers.
You may be looking at counselling for many reasons, for example: challenging family/relationship issues; bereavement; low self esteem or confidence or perhaps you want to feel more fulfilled in life generally.
I also have training and experience in supporting people experiencing: mental health issues including anxiety and depression; personality adaptations; difficulties resulting from attachment issues, or early or later life trauma or abuse, for example post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), dissociation.
Counselling can be shorter term, where your aim is to resolve a specific issue or immediate crisis, or longer term, where you can explore issues at greater depth to enable more change. When we first meet, we can talk together about goals you are hoping to achieve.
I offer a confidential and non-judgemental space and will always go at a pace that feels appropriate for you. I see the relationship we build between us in the therapy as providing a safe base from which I can support you to gain increased self-awareness, explore new choices, see more positive ways of being and feel increasingly in control.
I work holistically, believing that as human beings we cannot separate our bodies, minds and emotions. To reflect this, I draw, as appropriate, from: creative approaches; body awareness; mindfulness; sensorimotor psychotherapy and latest findings from neuroscience. I don't want this to be just jargon however, so please ask questions and let's talk about what's helpful for you as an individual.
There will be regular opportunities for us to review how your therapy is going. Endings are an important part of the process and you are always in control of when you finish therapy. However, a desire to end could be for a variety of reasons, so I always encourage you to talk about your thoughts on this so we can plan together for an ending that is satisfying and supportive to you.
And finally...as an ancient Chinese proverb says,
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".
If you feel ready to step out on that journey and would like to explore possibilities, then I look forward to hearing from you.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications, training and experience:
My qualifications include:
- CPCAB Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling (core models - Person Centred, Psychodynamic and CBT)
- BEd (Hons) in primary teaching
- Post Graduate Diploma in Special Educational Needs (Visual Impairment)
- MSc Gestalt Psychotherapy at the Metanoia Institute, London (in progress). This reflects my commitment both to working relationally and with longer term emotional, psychological and mental health issues. health issues.
Through CSTD, Bath, I am also studying for my Diploma in counselling supervision.
I am a member of the following professional bodies:
- BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists), as a Registered member (MBACP Accred)
- UKCP (United Kingdom Council of Psychotherapists), as a trainee Psychotherapist
- UKAGP (United Kingdom Association of Gestalt Practitioners), as a trainee member
- ACC (Association of Christian Counsellors)
- TAG (Trauma and Abuse Group)
- SCPN (Swindon Counsellors and Psychotherapists Network)
A little more about me.
On my journey as a counsellor, I have gained (and am continuing to gain) much experience both through my private practice and also through being:
- an accredited volunteer counsellor with Willows Counselling Service, Swindon, which offers affordable counselling in the community.
- a peripatetic counsellor with a Gloucestershire charity offering counselling to young people aged 9 - 21 years.
As a Christian, I enjoy sharing journeys with people from different or from no faith backgrounds. I love diversity and and am often told I have a deep level of empathy and understanding for others. This I believe comes partly from my own experiences of being in therapy, which have been a significant part of helping me work through challenges in my personal life journey.
Previously, I worked as a primary teacher, before moving into special needs education where I specialised in working with young people aged 0 - 18 year with visual impairment. I chose to retrain as a counsellor as I realised that my real passion was in supporting people of all ages in a more holistic way.
Additionally, my life experience has given me a passionate interest in working with people of all ages from different cultural backgrounds. I have particular understanding of the culture of East Asian countries.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am also passionate about working with:
- PTSD and Dissociation
- Student counsellors needing their own therapy.
- Individuals of any age affected by learning and physical disabilities, impairments etc. I am familiar with using Makaton voice equipment for people with hearing impairment.
- Cultural diversity
Photos & videos
The first session is a chance for us to meet, to look together at any questions you may have, perhaps from what you have read here, and to explore what you are hoping to gain from therapy. This gives you time to sense if I am someone you would like to work with, and also allows me to be comfortable that I can support you with what you are bringing. I offer the first 60 minute session at the reduced rate of £20, meaning the first half an hour is free of charge.
Sessions fees are:
£40 for individual counselling - 60 minutes
However, I believe that therapy should be available to everyone, so am able to offer a limited number of day time concessions to those on low income. Please ask about availability of these if it would be helpful.
I accept payment by cash, cheque and bank transfer.
I offer day time or early evening sessions during the week. Counselling usually works best when we can meet on the same day and time each week, although I can sometimes be accommodating if shift work means you need greater flexibility.
Venue information OR further information
I use a comfortable, confidential and professional room (See photo). There is free parking by the building, main bus routes close by, a ramp for easy access and same level cloakroom facility.
Being based in Hucclecote, Gloucester, I am within easy reach from other areas too, e.g. Stonehouse, Stroud, the Forest and Cheltenham.
My contact details:
You are welcome to contact me by phone or email. If I unable to answer immediately, I will return your call or message as soon as possible. I look forward to hearing from you.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer day time sessions during the week, including early mornings and evenings. Please get in touch to see if I have a suitable day and time for you.
Types of client