Eva Roussou - Clinical Psychologist & Systemic Psychotherapist
South East London
Welcome to my profile.
Taking the step to contact a professional takes courage, and the complexity of information online can make it even more challenging. For therapy to be an effective and positive experience, two basic elements need to be in place: finding a therapist that you can build good rapport with, feel safe, listened to and respected; and accessing a form of therapy that is suitable for your specific difficulties and needs, at that point in time.
I hope the following information will help you in your search. Moreover, it is important you have the chance to ask your own questions, so I would encourage you to contact me for a free of charge consultation.
What to expect
In our first session, we will give plenty of attention to explore the specific difficulties and symptoms (if any) you are experiencing, without isolating them from the rest of your life. None of us is defined exclusively by our problems, and this is something that can be missed in problem-focused therapies. As a therapist I always practice from a whole-person perspective, assessing difficulties in depth and also acknowledging your life experiences, strengths, cultural-relational models you have grown up with, and experiences of personal empowerment and disempowerment across your life span.
Being qualified as both psychologist and psychotherapist, I am able to work in different ways according to your individual needs. If you are dealing with a personal situation in your life, such as difficulty in relationships, family dynamics, self-esteem, decision-making, parenting, loneliness, or a need for career and personal development, a counseling or psychotherapy approach will be helpful. You may need only a few counselling sessions to enable you to make a decision about an issue, or you may wish to work for longer term to address more complicated issues in your life.I often work from a Systemic Psychotherapy perspective because it can be incredibly effective and deeply empowering. We will address the problem or difficulty you are experiencing in the context of the systems you belong to (personal relationships, family, community) or interact with (e.g. your work environment or industry). We will understand how these important relationships affect your choices and well-being, and discover more options and ways forward for emotional and/or practical changes you want to make.
If you are experiencing mental health difficulties (such as symptoms of anxiety or depression, or you have a diagnosis) evidence-based Psychological Therapies can also be used. Psychology offers a solid, research-based understanding of difficulties and conditions, together with practical skills to manage these. If this is a suitable option for your difficulties, I will advise at the end of our first session, and suggest a form of psychological therapy, such as CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) for our therapeutic work.
Each individual is unique, and therapy, whether brief or longer term, needs to work for you. We will work collaboratively to agree on the type or combinations of therapy that are best suited to your specific needs, expectations and preferences. You may benefit from a combination of approaches to help you deal with relationship difficulties that are also causing you anxiety and low mood, or perhaps joint sessions with your partner or family members are needed to effectively address the issues. In addition, we will regularly review our progress, to make sure the therapy is effective and a positive experience for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- HCPC registered Clinical & Counselling Psychologist
- Doctoral Level Qualification in Clinical Psychology
- Qualifying Programme in Individual, Couples and Family Systemic Psychotherapy
- Externship in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples (EFT)
- Full Member EFTA - Family Therapist
- Registered Member MBACP
- Certificate in Leadership, Strategic Thinking and Non-Profit Management
I have been practicing for 16 years in inpatient care, outpatient /community services, schools, specialist services, forensic settings and private practice. I have worked therapeutically with people from different backgrounds, perspectives, and native languages. Much of my work as a psychologist has been on 1:1 basis, but as a family therapist I also work with couples and families.
Areas that I have worked extensively in include:
- Common mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety, and anxiety disorders
- Poor coping skills, low self-esteem, poor self-image
- Difficulties with family and personal relationships, including communication issues, considering separation or divorce, difficulties with parenting or a need to understand own experiences of being parented to make more informed choices for children
- Work-related issues (stress, burn out, compassion fatigue, bullying, career progression)
- Issues arising from cross-cultural relationships
- Managing loneliness
- Women’s mental health, gender-specific issues, perinatal conditions
- Managing the impact of chronic pain or physical symptoms (including diagnosed somatoform disorders).
- I have a particular expertise in trauma: PTSD and trauma-related depression, physical and emotional impact of trauma and interpersonal violence (including domestic and sexual), impact on relationships, on self-esteem, and feelings of guilt and shame.
- I have worked in highly specialist services in the NHS offering evidence-based therapies for eating disorders, personality difficulties, and distress intolerance.
I practice under the code of ethics of the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC), the European Family Therapy Association (EFTA) and the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP).
I also have considerable experience in managing clinical services and supervising mental health professionals. I am a visiting lecturer at King’s College London, where I teach postgraduate modules on complex trauma and on women’s mental health needs. I am a member of the Steering Group of AGENDA (www.weareagenda.org).
Committed to continuous professional and personal development, I strongly believe in professionals’ continued development of their own insight as a means for providing effective and safe therapy to others.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Psychosomatic issues
- Relationship Communication
- Family issues
- Secrets in families
- Weight Management
- Cross-cultural relationships
- Cultural and adaptation issues
- Sleep difficulties, insomnia
- Issues of identity and sense of self
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
An initial 15 minute consultation over telephone is offered free of charge.
Each session lasts 55 minutes.
Appointments are offered in South East London (Honor Oak Park) and over Skype.
Individual sessions: £70
Couples & Family sessions: £80
Longer sessions: possible, charged pro rated.
Cancellation fee: £25 if the session is cancelled in short notice (3 days or less).
Accessing therapy on a weekly basis is ideal, but not a possible option for everyone due to work, childcare, or financial issues.
I work flexibly with clients to fit therapy around busy lives. This can mean variable frequency, exclusively over skype therapy, or alternating between face to face and Skype appointments.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime Tuesday - Friday, Saturday morning - currently no evening availability
Types of client