Dr Esther Rose, Clinical Psychologist in Central London
17 Cavendish Square
I am a Clinical Psychologist (HCPC registered and BPS Chartered) based in Central London and I provide a range of talking therapies to individuals and couples. A key aspect of my therapeutic work is to develop a trusting relationship so that therapy feels like a safe place for you to share and explore your concerns and feel understood without judgement. I believe it is also crucial to take time for us to reach a good understanding of your current difficulties and life patterns, how they have developed and what keeps them going. This can help identify how you can take more control of your responses to emotional situations and cope better with day-to-day challenges and/or more long-term emotional struggles you have had.
The therapeutic approaches I predominantly use are Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Schema Therapy. As a Certified Schema Therapist I have found that this approach can be a very effective treatment for clients with interpersonal/relationship difficulties and/or those who have been unable to benefit from previous courses of therapy. Many of my existing clients have reported that this has helped them to make sense of their difficulties and change long-standing negative life patterns. I have specialist training in Systemic Therapy which is typically used to work with couples and families who are experiencing conflict and transitions in their relationships. I have also completed training in Mentalization Based Treatment (MBT) which is particularly helpful in enabling clients to develop better emotional regulation and behavioural control skills, so that they can have more fulfilling and satisfying relationships.
The types of problems I can provide therapy for include:
- Relationship difficulties: including relationship breakdown, commitment issues, infidelity (for both individuals and couples)
- Anxiety: including worry, panic attacks, health anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, phobias
- Depression: including low mood and low self esteem
- Trauma: including post-traumatic stress disorder and long standing traumatic difficulties relating to childhood abuse
- Adjustment difficulties: such as adjusting to living with a physical health condition; loss or change of role, e.g. job, parenting stage, relationship breakdown or bereavement
- Problematic ways of coping: such as self-harm, substance use, eating disorders, aggression/violence
- Sleep difficulties
- Paranoid beliefs, hearing voices and psychosis
At our first meeting we would discuss what is troubling you at the moment and what you would like to address and achieve through the process of therapy. We can then think together about which treatment approach may be most beneficial for you and and how we can bring about positive change in the number of sessions you would like to commit to. I can offer both long-term and short-term therapy either weekly or fortnightly. If travelling to sessions is difficult we can have a consultation via Skype or over the telephone.
Training, qualifications & experience
I completed my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy) at University of Hertfordshire and prior to this I completed my Undergraduate Degree in Psychology (BSc) and achieved First Class Honours. I have also completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Systemic Practice (Families and couples therapy) and I am a Certified Schema Therapist. Furthermore, I have undertaken Practitioner level training in Mentalization Based Treatment.
I have worked in the NHS for over 13 years and in private practice for the last six years. Throughout my training and post-qualification experience I have worked with individuals, couples and families across a broad range of cultural backgrounds and age groups. I have developed a breadth of experience in providing psychological assessment and therapy to a diverse range of clients presenting with psychological difficulties varying in severity and complexity (including depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, anger, deliberate self-harm, family, couple and relationship difficulties, traumatic stress, bereavement, psychosis and personality disorders).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Fees depend on a number of factors (e.g. whether your are self funding or have a private health insurance). I am able to offer discounted rates for blocks of sessions and for Trainee Psychologists. Please contact me directly for more information.
I am registered with AXA PPP, BUPA, Aviva, Cigna, HTH, Geoblue, MetLife, Allianz and Simply Health Insurance companies. Clients using medical insurance are required to provide the relevant authorisation details prior to begining treatment.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have the most flexibility on Wednesdays and Saturdays and more limited availability on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
Types of client