Elizabeth Houghton, counsellor and psychotherapist
Welcome to my directory page.
I am an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist who has worked in talking therapies for the last 12 years in a variety of therapeutic settings. I am dedicated to running a private practice in Ashford and I am also an NHS counsellor in the Shepway and Ashford areas.
My approach is Client-Centred and Outcome-Orientated. I do not view therapy as a strict adherence to one approach; instead I aim to work collaboratively with you to ascertain your unique and holistic needs, drawing on a wide range of practices, whilst respecting your pace and safety. These include:
- Contemporary Psychotherapy
- Neuro Linguistics Programming (NLP)
- Humanistic Therapy
- Problem and Solution focusing
- Cognitve Behavioural Therapy
I facilitate either specific outcomes or ones that are more open ended and wider ranging. Sessions start as being weekly and then, as appropriate, may become less frequent. The first session is an opportunity for us to consider how we might effectively work together. Assessment doesn't involve a set of questions-answers, it is continually updated according to different stages and needs in your recovery or personal development. I consider your feedback to be vitally important to this process.
Training, qualifications & experience
Registrations and affiliations
- BUPA recognised therapist
- Registered member of UK Council for Psychotherapy
- Accredited and registered member of Community for Contemporary Psychotherapists
- Member of College of Hypno-Psychotherapists
- Advanced Diploma in Contemporary Psychotherapy: client-centred, integrative, outcome-orientated, hypno-psychotherapeutic
- Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistics Programming
- Diploma in Counselling: humanistic
I am experienced in a variety of settings including:
- Mental health
- The criminal justice system
- Community counselling
- Trauma and abuse
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Bodily Distress conditions such as Fibromyalgia.
My fees are £40 and sessions last between 60 and 90 minutes.
An initial free telephone consultation is available for up to 20 minutes.
Some discounted places are available in accordance with clients' resources and commitment.
Additional self-empowering activities that you can do between sessions will usually be offered, to greatly enhance the value of your investment.
If you would like to contact me to make an an appointment, or if you are considering working with me you can find my confidential number at the top of the page or alternatively click the above link to email me.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evenings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|