Liz Calvert: York Based Counsellor & Psychotherapist
01904 340127 / 07544 556428
Choosing a Counselor can be daunting because, essentially, you are looking for a particular (qualified) personality. You hope to find someone you can connect with, trust, and show your vulnerability to – but most of all, you want a therapist who will make it as easy as possible for you, whilst still being effective. Therapy can be hard at times and it is important not to make it more difficult by working with the wrong person or method for you.
With this in mind, I would like to invite you to come and meet me on a ‘free, no obligation’ basis to discuss what sort of help you want or might benefit from and see if you feel comfortable.You may also like to have a chat on the phone (07544556428 01904 340 127) or by email. either or both is absolutely fine - whatever helps inform your decision.
Specialisms and expertise
As an addictions and trauma specialist for many years, I have extensive experience of counseling adults and adolescence in areas such as alcohol and drug misuse, gambling, sexual and other types of abuse, neglect, self harm . However, I also have a wealth of experience in relation to a much broader range of work, including over and under eating, anxiety,domestic violence, depression, and loneliness.
I also enjoy working with individuals seeking self improvement and enhanced well being. For example, clients may wish to explore and liberate themselves from difficulties with depression, relationship issues, confidence, stress or anxiety.
I have enjoyed working with and seeing clients improve who have diagnosed mental health conditions and/or seemingly unexplained mood swings.
You can read more about the areas of work I perform below and if you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
I have been fortunate to gain experience working with the military and am able to work with military families and veterans . I welcome clients from a military background and believe that I can serve them well.
I pride myself in being an effective therapist who can help clients achieve outstanding and long lasting results. I do this by using an extensive range of methods and techniques but perhaps more importantly by creating a reliable, trusting and safe relationship in which therapy and healing can take place..
I am grateful and excited to be one of only a small group of therapists in the UK to complete the pioneering Internal Family Systems Therapy devised by Richard Schwartz PhD.
IFS is one of the fastest growing psycho therapeutic models in the field today.It is safe, respectful, effective, empowering therapy which is currently receiving wonderful testimonies from leading trauma specialists.( See wwwselfleadership.org).I am honored to be assisting the founder(s) and lead trainers in IFS training's currently taking place in the U.K.
IFS works extremely well with all human suffering it will help you to discover who you are and to become all that you want to be.
I understand that flexibility with appointment times can be necessary so I do offer evening and weekend slots and some early mornings.I am also happy to work around shift patterns.
Training, qualifications & experience
Amongst other experience I have:
- 25 years experience in the impact of trauma on the mind and body;
- 11 years experience in specialist addictions and trauma work;
- 6 years of working with Gamcare (provider of services for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling);
- Over 5 years experience of assisting 11 to 18 year olds affected by substance misuse;
- Many years of experience in facilitating therapeutic groups (including alcohol, anger management, drug use cessation, low self esteem and substance misuse).
As well as being a highly professional and trustworthy Counsellor, I utilise the following tools and qualifications whenever appropriate for a particular client:
- Membership to the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists;
- B.A Honors Degree in Person Centred Counselling , Lancaster University;
- H.E Advanced Diploma in Trauma and Loss, University of Cumbria;
- IFS (Internal Family Systems Therapist) Level 3: currently the highest available qualification;
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitising and Reprocessing) NICE guidelines recommended treatment for PTSD;
- Hakomi (Body-centered Psychotherapy using Mindfulness) ;
- MBSR (Mindfulness based stress reduction training)Solution Focussed Therapy;
- Training in loss (including bereavement, identity, income, profession; pets etc);
- CRUSE: Foundation Training to support young people affected by bereavement;
- Death and Bereavement from a Multi-Cultural Perspective training;
- Extensive training in Child protection and impact of early childhood abuse/neglect on adults;
- Mental Health Foundation Programme;
- Worked alongside CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services), The Early Intervention team and Social Care;
- Motivational interviewing;
- Diploma in Holistic Aromatherapy and Therapeutic Massage ITEC Anatomy & Physiology
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Internal Family Systems
Students £35.00 (including student Counsellors).
Skype and telephone counselling is available upon request.
I offer a limited amount of sessions at a ‘reduced client rate’ in order to assist with access to counselling for everyone. Please do ask about current availability. Should there not be any reduced rate sessions available, I would be happy to add you to the waiting list if eligible.
*Needless to say, as a member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists, I adhere to their codes of ethics and professional conduct, which includes confidentiality of the highest level along with numerous other client protections. These will be explained to you at your initial appointment but should you have any queries in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I like to offer a flexible service so weekend,evening and early morning appointments are available.I can use an alternative venue for us to meet for anyone who needs wheelchair access..
Types of client