David Downes BACP (Accred) - Counselling Psychotherapist & Life Coach/Mentor
125b Ullet Road
01244 940944 / 07535 577304
A great therapist who is very approachable and trustworthy. I recommend him to anyone (a client quote)
Born: Dublin, Ireland, before moving to the UK in childhood; that relaxed friendly Irish approach really working for my clients.
Status: Married - three daughters (all grown up now).
- Royal Navy - submarines (intelligence/communications). Long tours at sea providing a first insight and strong awareness of human psychological capability in demanding circumstances.
- On leaving the Navy, I founded a startup IT business based in the North West, leading to the employment of 115 colleagues located in 6 locations, before its eventual sale in the late 90's.
- Six years retraining as a Counselling Psychotherapist, including four years working with the NHS with two North West based NHS Trusts/Health Boards.
- College lecturer in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Private practice for two years - individuals/couples/groups and corporate clients, to-date.
Principal mode of therapy delivery is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), for individuals/Couples/Families. Working together, I offer quick access to therapy from five locations within the North West and Wales. You will be seen very quickly and will not have to wait weeks/months.
So you're stuck!
Client Presenting Issues (individual/Couples):
- Anxieties - Future Worries/Ruminating About the Past - Eliminating/Better Coping Strategies
- Stress - Work/Relationship/Family/Critical Incident/Meetings - Reduction or removal.
- Depression - Bereavement/Relationship/Work/Family/Biological/Chemical/Neurological/Dietary
- Phobias - Agoraphobia/Panic/Spider/Flying...et al.
- Relationships Problems - Communications and Recovery from.
- Addictions - Alcohol, Drugs, Gambling, Sex...etc..
- Personality Disorders - Aspergers/Narcissism et al - Management and Recovery from.
- Work Related Issues - Bullying in the Workplace/Return to Work Initiatives/Counselling.
- Court Referrals - Pre-Trial/Sentencing - Approved Anger Management Courses
- Critical Incident Stress Desensitization - Road Traffic Accidents, Assaults...etc.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - Civilian/Military
- Alcohol/Gambling/Sex/Drug Addictions - Better Management/Stopping.
- Executive Business Coaching
Training Workshops (individuals/Groups):
- Anger Management - Court Pre-Trial/Pre-Sentencing, Relationship Guidance, Management Training, Employee Relations, Family.
- Assertiveness Training - Becoming confident and stronger at home and in the workplace.
- Communications - Being more confident and comfortable when you speak at home or at work.
- Stress - Elimination of or Managing It Better - at home and in the workplace.
- Critical Incident Stress Desensitisation (CISD) - Inoculation and Recovery from.
- Pain Management - It can get better - Therapeutic and Pharmacological Interventions.
- Living with Development Disorders - Aspergers/Autism/Pathological Demand Avoidance/Oppositional Defiance Disorder et al. Understanding and coping better when living with or being a person diagnosed.
- Redundancy - Transitions.
- Addictions - A better way of living for individuals and family members.
- Clinical Supervision - Integrative/CBT
Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) & Human Factors.
I'm also a consultant to businesses in installing and maintaining policies for CSR, targeted towards reducing stress in the workplace and resolving employee conflicts through mediation.
Coaching - So you're stuck (Remote):
We nearly all, at some stage in our lives become hung up on a problem that could benefit from having a brief telephone conversation with a trusted professional therapist. Does it really require you to book an appointment to come in to see me? No, it doesn't. Sometimes just a few minutes of Skype/phone coaching is enough to set a person up for the day or meeting ahead. To meet these client driven needs, David provides a remote coaching service whereby existing clients can access him quickly. It's inexpensive, prearranged and user-friendly.
Coming from a strong business background has provided me with a unique insight into how business law can best benefit employees when resolving bullying and other forms of conflict in the workplace. Why should you pay for work-induced anxieties/depression, when its cause is elsewhere. Resolving problems, once and for all, via a combination of a psychotherapeutic intervention and mediation, is often the best way forward.
Insurance Health Providers:
David is an approved psychotherapist provider with: BUPA, AVIVA, PRU HEALTH, WPA, CIGNA AND SIMPLYHEALTH.
DRDOWNES LTD is a registered trading style of David & Rebecca Downes.
OUR NAMES ARE OUR CORPORATE IDENTITY
Training, qualifications & experience
Accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
EMDR Trained and member of EMDR UK & Ireland
Diploma in Counselling (Integrative - CBT, Transaction Analysis)
PGC - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - Edgehill University (Level 7)
Cert in Neural Linguistic Processing (NLP)
City & Guilds - Teaching/Training
ESOL Level Two Teaching
CAA Commercial Pilot License (Part 114b Passed)
FAA Private Pilot
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
EAP - Corporate Referrals
Stress Management Workshops
Resolving Conflict in the Workplace
Specialist HR Consultancy
Transfer of Ownership
Fees vary, depending upon location, service and duration:
On-site in my offices £60-£85
Off-site at yours: on request
Remote Skype/Phone: £6 for 6 minute blocks.
Insured Psychotherapy provider at: AVIVA, BUPA, PRUHEALTH, SIMPLYHEALTH, WPA and CIGNA.
*Subject to distance and additional travel costs, external to a radius of 50 miles from the centre of Warrington.
My wife, Rebecca, is also a Registered psychotherapist with The British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy. Together, we offer relationship couples counselling/coaching in a far more dynamic, real-time sense for both partners.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - Friday, 9am - 6pm, on-site and off. Remote Skype/phone - 8am - 8pm, Monday - Saturday, subject to availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|