Donna James MBACP, MBPsS, BSc (Hons), BEd (Hons)
Feeling overwhelmed or alone with your struggles? You need someone impartial, sensitive and professional to confide in, and a safe confidential space. I will calmly help you make sense of whatever you bring and find a way towards positive change and improved wellbeing. I will work with you gently, patiently and without judgement to explore your feelings and concerns. Counselling is a therapeutic partnership, after all; it’s not something that’s done to you. There may even be some laughter as well as pain in the journey that we take together.
I have an Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling and, in addition, am an Open University Psychology graduate. I can also draw on almost twenty years of experience as a primary teacher and music tutor, often working with children with special needs. Therapy is a second career for me but it often feels as if I’ve been a therapist for a lot longer! ‘Integrative’ means that I use a variety of approaches, choosing those most suited to your needs. I have helped clients with a range of issues: depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, addiction, relationship difficulties, sexual abuse, guilt, trauma, grief, sleep difficulties, identity issues, life stresses and transitions – to give some examples. I will accompany you in discovering the ongoing patterns and reactions that may not be working for you in your life, and assist with information and resources that might offer new, healthier ways of coping.
It can be hard to ask for help, but you’ve already taken the first step by exploring online. The next step is to email or call. The initial session will give us an opportunity to meet and assess your needs. This is charged at £20. If you decide to continue, we would then contract for further sessions. I am available for shorter-term as well as longer-term psychotherapeutic work. I currently work from therapy rooms in central Exeter on Fridays. A warm welcome awaits you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling (BACP Accredited) - Iron Mill Institute
- Certificate in Counselling - Iron Mill Institute
- BSc (Hons) Psychology 2:1 - The Open University
- BEd (Hons) Education 2:1 - University of Plymouth, Rolle Faculty
- Sexual Abuse and Related Issues training (13 Hours) - The Rape & Sexual Abuse Line, Exeter
- Beginning, Developing & Strengthening the Way We Work Online - BACP/OCTIA 2015
Professional Work outside of Private Practice
- I am a Grief Support Worker and Agency Trainer for the Balloons Charity, working with bereaved children, young people and volunteers.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Child related issues
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
£35 per session (1 hour)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I'm currently available on Fridays.