01271 374403 / 07841 424996
What I do
I offer short and long term Psychotherapy, Arts Therapy, Counselling and Couple work in North Devon for people who come with a range of issues. Counselling and Psychotherapy can give us the opportunity to talk through our difficulties with some one neutral in a confidential and safe space. It can help us to look at past experiences which may have had a lasting affect on how we feel both within our relationships with other people, and within ourselves and It can help us better understand our emotions.
How I work
I practice Integrative Psychotherapy which means I draw on different therapeutic models of working, which enables me to work with each client differently. Together we would decide what you need from therapy, how we can best work together and which approach would benefit you most. In practice Psychotherapy and Counselling have common characteristics. Both look at a wide variety of personal issues and provide support through different life experiences. Counselling tends to be shorter term work and may focus on a specific problem, whereas Psychotherapy can focus on more complex issues, exploring the problem in greater depth.
Using the Arts
In addition to this, you may choose to use the arts, which can give you further insight and another perspective in helping you to understand your difficulties. This can add another dimension to the work and can help to give you a greater awareness of any issues you may wish to explore. Many people find that the use of the arts can provide a different way of expressing deeply felt emotions and experiences that they cannot communicate by words alone. There are several different art forms to choose from and you do not need to be an artist to work in this way. During sessions I may invite you to use the arts, however the decision to work in this way is optional and would always be up to you.
I am also qualified to work with couples. If you are having difficulties in your relationship I may be able to help. Ideally couple counselling can help where both parties would like to explore any problems between them. Sometimes both parties do not wish to attend and in this case one of the individuals may choose to explore their feelings alone about their relationship or any difficulties they are experiencing within it.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and Qualifications
- Masters Degree - Integrative Arts Psychotherapy – Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education / London Metropolitan University
- Diploma –Integrative Arts Psychotherapy – Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education / London Metropolitan University
- Diploma in the Therapeutic Application of the Arts - Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (CSCT)
- Graduate Certificate Foundation in Couple Counselling - Relate
- Certificate in Counselling for Depression
- Couples Therapy for Depression training - Approved (Association for Family Therapy –AFT) as Specialist Training in Evidence-Based Practice with Couples for Depression
- UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) Accredited Member
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Accredited Member
- Member of the Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education
- Member of the British Association of Art Therapists (BAAT)
I have a vast variety of experience working within the NHS and within The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service. I have also worked for Buckinghamshire County Council, and within a Forensic setting. As well as this I have experience of working within the Charitable Sector with women survivors of sexual abuse and victims of atrocities. I have a special interest in working with people who suffer with depression and anxiety and with people who have experienced trauma in their lives. I have also worked for Relate, providing Couple Counselling and more recently I have undergone training in Couples Therapy for Depression.
I adhere to UKCP and HCPC code of ethics for good practice.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
Initial meeting - £10.00
Individual sessions - £40.00 per 50 minute session and there are some concessions available. Please enquire.
Couple counselling - £40.00 per 60 minute session with some concessions available. Please enquire.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
By arrangement - weekend and evening appointments offered as well as daytime
Types of client