Debbie Horton Registered MBACP
Areas of work
I specialise in working with individuals who are having difficulties in adjustment during times of change, for example, following the birth of a child, after separation, when children leave home, or when there has been a major change in the life of someone close to you. These times can be difficult, put a strain on relationships and evoke conflicting and complex responses. They might also be an opportunity for you to grow and grow together with others.
An hour a week or fortnight for you to really explore your feelings and thoughts, with someone who is not a part of your social network and who is trained to deliver therapy can be beneficial in helping you to work through this territory without getting too lost in it.
I work in a down-to-earth and gentle way, to support you to explore your feelings and thoughts and to grow in self-awareness, as awareness is everything. Just on its own, increased awareness can result in new perspectives. Counselling is really very practical. It’s about helping you to find your own strengths, and to recognise and use them in a positive way.
Please note that I work with people over the age of 16.
Please phone or email me if you would like to find out more or to arrange an initial session.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Counselling (Dartmoor Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- BA Hons (History)
- Registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- I abide by the BACP code of ethics.
- Previous work in an Exeter Counselling agency.
- I am committed to ongoing self-inquiry and professional development.
- I am DBS checked.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
My fees are as follows:
- £35 an hour.
- £30 for the introductory session
- Concessions are available for the unemployed, low - waged and counselling students.. please ask.
Totnes. There is a car park nearby or it is a 10-15 minute walk from the station.
Exeter. My practice room is very central, just off Southernhay and close to the Princesshay shopping centre. There are car parks or metered on-street parking close by.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
9am - 8pm Mondays to Fridays.
Types of client