W. David Keenan, PhD, MSc, FNCS & MBACP(Accred); UKRCP Reg.Ind Psychotherapist
City East Offices
72 Newtownards Road
28 Corn Market
028 90691340 / 07875593841
Couples, Self-esteem, Depression counsellor since 1985. Coming to counselling may be difficult; I provide a caring, non-judgmental service to help you achieve your goals. Flexible appts available including evenings and Saturdays.
- Confidential Drug Testing and Reports now available
- Anxiety & Depression - In Northern Ireland 1 in 5 of us will face a mental health problem sometime in our lives.
- Low Self Esteem - most children suffer alone with a sense of worthlessness. Many become adults with the same loneliness and sense of defeat
- Stress - one of the biggest problems causing absenteeism from school or lost
days off work.
- Addiction - whether with alcohol, drugs, food or gambling lives fall apart and
- Grief - Feeling alone or not understood after the loss of someone.
- Life Transitions - often the most difficult part of life is fitting in after a
significant move or change.
- Trauma Related Issues - can result in the replay of unwanted horrible images, fear, isolation and harm.
- Couples Counselling- every year more marriages have such difficulties they end in separation or divorce.
- Anger Management - this is not a problem with being angry. Everyone has the right to be angry. It is more how you express anger and control it rather than it controlling you.
Training, qualifications & experience
David is a Registered Fellow & Clinical Supervisor with the National Counselling Society and a Registered Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist with BACP. He is trained in both evidenced based approaches Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) used in an Integrative Counselling modality with individuals and couples.
He has the following qualifications:-
PhD St Lukes University (2000) USA
Masters of Science in Counselling (1993) National-Louis University, Chicago
Bachelors of Arts (Honours) in Behavioral Sciences & Business Management (1991) National College of Education
Post Graduate Certificate in Further & Higher Education (2010)
Clinical Supervision Certificate AEB (1999)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Adjustment problems with moving location or work.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
Counselling sessions are 45 - 50 minutes and cost
Individual Counselling £40.
Couples Counselling £50
concessional sliding scale available
Individual Supervision Sessions £40/hr
David has been a Director of the European Federation of Therapeutic Communities providing addiction services; Northern Ireland Association of Counsellors & Therapists; a member of the Northern Ireland Counselling Forum.He served 12 years in the US Army as a combat Psych Specialist and Field Medic as well as a civilian FireFighter. Currently he teaches Counselling and Health & Social Care at SERC College.
David, a counsellor for 25 years; a clinical supervisor for 15 years and is an Accredited Member of the British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists and the National Counselling Society. He works with trauma survivors, relationship issues, addictions, transitional life issues and with teenagers and young adults experiencing court, work or school problems.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Belfast office Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri 9 am - 8pm. Saturday 9 am - 5 pm. Newry at Ballybot House Monday & Wednesday evening 6 - 9pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have been a counsellor/psychotherpist since 1985 and a clinical supervisor since 1993. I taught on the UUJ Foundation Degree in Counselling and the AQA Diploma course at the South Eastern Regional College, I hold a BA(Hons) in Behavioural Sciences and a MSc in Counselling which includes training in all 3 main modalities; Humanism, Psychodynamic and CBT. I practice as a Holistic Integrative therapist and am experienced in supervising from this and the 3 individual component modalities. Fees are £40/hr Offices in Both Newry area and Belfast City.View supervision profile