Counselling and Family Centre
40 Mayor's Road
0161 941 7754
We have been offering support to children, young people and adults for more than 40 years.
We offer appointments from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm in our comfortable Altrincham Counselling Centre, at The Broomwood Community Centre, and home counselling for those who are unable to attend due to health reasons. We can offer a choice of male or female counsellor, and counselling in a range of languages.
Our counselling service supports children and young people from 5 years and above, adults - either as individuals or the relationship between 2 people, families, individuals struggling with peri-natal issues and families struggling to cope with the effects of addiction within the family.
We offer a free assessment and up to 8 free counselling sessions for those from households with a low income.
Please see our website for up to date information.
Our opening times are:
Monday to Thursday 9am - 10pm
Friday 9am - 4pm
Appointments line: 0161 941 7754
Training, qualifications & experience
Experienced counsellors qualified to diploma level and above.
We are an organisational member of BACP.
Our counsellors are supervised by a team of 5 'in house' qualified clinical supervisors.
Member organisations *
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling we deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work related stress
Other areas of counselling we deal with
What is counselling?
Trained counsellors actively listen and offer guidance (but not advice) throughout sessions in a non-judgemental environment.
How can counselling help?
Some people like to have someone they can turn to and tell anything to without being judged, and feel better for being listened to. Others require help with specific issues such as bereavement or depression. Our statistics show that there is a marked improvement in the lives of our clients who attend counselling.
How confidential is it?
Only you and your counsellor will know what has been said in sessions (with exceptions such as self harm, drug trafficking, money laundering, child protection issues - in accordance with BACP guidelines). All identifying information is kept in locked filing cabinets, and if you don't want anyone to know you're attending counselling we'll even use a code word when we ring you. Your counsellor will explain our confidentiality policy to you on your first session.
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
Photos & videos
- Ongoing - Working with families with a parenting focus
- 13/03/17 - Working with couples. Building better therapeutic relationships
- 20/03/17 - Working therapeutically with children and young people - 4 day foundation course
- 25/03/17 - Is spirituality or meditation relevant to the caring professionals?
- 04/04/17 - Understanding complex grief - 2 day course
- 10/04/17 - Working with couples. Bereavement, loss and change
- 22/04/17 - Working with trauma... the body remembers
- 24/04/17 - Assessing children and young people - the importance of beginnings when working with children
- 28/04/17 - Working with conflict within families
- 15/05/17 - Working with couples. The adult sexual relationship
All appointments £40
For Households with an income of below £30,000 per annum
Free assessment and up to 8 ongoing counselling sessions. Additional sessions will be charged at £20.00 per session.
We regret that we are unable to offer subsidesed rates for counselling in the home.
Counselling can help with well being, and issues that are causing problems in your life. It is a safe environment in which you can explore and discover yourself with a trained professional with a non-judgemental attitude.
Free parking is available outside the centre and we're just a short walk from the bus terminus/tram stop/taxi rank.
Our centre is set by Stamford Park, a tranquil environment just outside Altrincham town centre.
Counselling at CFC is open ended, meaning you can attend for as long as you like. Each session lasts for about an hour and you will see the same counsellor each week.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Farsi, Polish, Punjabi, Spanish, Urdu.|
Appointments from 9am to 9pm Mondays to Fridays. Male and female counsellors. Range of languages spoken.
Types of client