Cinzia Altobelli MSc RGN UKCP reg Psychotherapist & Supervisor
The Old School House
I am a UKCP registered Integrative psychotherapist, clinical supervisor and trainer with additional expertise in families and addiction.
I have 20 years' experience working therapeutically in settings including the NHS, the community and the charity sector, helping individuals, couples and families with a wide range of moderate to complex problems.
I believe the relationship you have with yourself and others is 'key' and I work to get a better understanding of how this, together with beliefs, feelings and repetitive patterns of behaviours, can get in the way of communication and realizing your full potential. I use different theories to understand and support clients with different issues, to provide a more tailored approach and greater range of options. I like to work creatively and collaboratively and offer short term or long term sessions according to need and personal preference.
I work in Shaftesbury, North Dorset within close reach of Wiltshire and Somerset and I am also available via skype by arrangement.
- "Cinzia Altobelli is an exceptional psychotherapist. Her expertise guided me through a difficult period and I came to know myself better.
In particular Cinzia's expertise in understanding family patterns and her knowledge of addiction were ground breaking for me.I met many other therapists before finding Cinzia,I worked with her for a year and she is without equal, in my experience."
- "The work that we did together has made me so strong from the inside out, and although I know there are tough times ahead, I am in the best place I have ever been to date, to deal with this".
- "When I first started seeing Cinzia I was going through a really tough period in my life; the stress levels at work was the main reason for my unhappiness, but behind all this was a life-long feeling of low self-esteem and perfectionism, of never being good enough and not ever living up to anyone's expectations. All I wanted was to be like everyone else, blend in, be accepted. The alternative was hiding from the world and running away. Thanks to Cinzia I have over the last 6 months learned to accept myself as the person I am, set myself reasonable goals and give myself credit for reaching them. Cinzia has taught me how to identify negative thoughts, how to break the pattern of negative thoughts and stay focused in difficult situations. I have learned how to be my own coach and friend, and I have learned to take control over my thoughts and most of all how important it is to take care of myself. Thanks to Cinzia I have achieved much more both personally and professionally than I ever thought I would."
Training, qualifications & experience
I have been a UKCP registered Psychotherapist since 2005 and a qualified counsellor since 1992. I have been working as a clinical supervisor since 2007 and I completed a Certificate in Supervision in 2011.
- Clinical Assessment, risk management, treatment planning & ability to use a wide range of therapeutic models to meet a variety of complex presentations.
- Individual, Couples, families & group facilitation skills
- Addiction families' specialist
- Experienced clinical supervisor (individuals & groups)
- Experienced trainer
Other relevant training
- Msc in integrative Psychotherapy
- Diploma in integrative Psychotherapy
- Certificate in Supervision
- Certificate Mentalization based Treatment(MBT) for families
- Certificate in counselling with children
- Certificate in Motivational Interviewing with Families
- Diploma in Counselling
- Diploma as a Registered General Nurse
In addition to my experience as a psychotherapist I have attended coaching training and can offer some very helpful tools to benefit clients and supervisees.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Adult, children and young people affected by the addiction of another either currently or historically.
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
Photos & videos
Available upon enquiry & concessions negotiable.
I offer an initial free telephone consultation prior to making an appointment so that I can find out a little more about you and answer any questions you may have.
Families & Addiction
I have worked in the field of addiction for the charity For Families, Action on Addiction (formerly Clouds) for 14 years and was the Leader of Therapeutic services since 2007. In my role I helped individuals, couples, families & children to make sense of their experience living with the effects
(current or historic) of another’s addiction and recovery and to develop better coping skills.
Adults, children and young people living in families affected by addiction can suffer from unrecognised emotional and psychological scars which affect how they view and experience themselves, relationships and the world around them. As all the focus is often on helping the person suffering from addiction, people living with its effects can often be overlooked. I feel passionate about the need for them to access therapeutic support so that the far reaching effects of living with such an experience can be undone.
I am on the list of UKCP accredited supervisors and have been providing supervision to individuals and teams since 2007 in a variety of projects and contexts.
Training developed & delivered
I have developed several CPD training programmes accredited by Bath University around the effects of addiction on families since 2007 and I was commissioned many others short training day/s.
Topics included: the Hidden Harm, Supervision, Systemic Thinking, Domestic abuse & substance misuse. I have recently co-designed and co-delivered a training commissioned by Tower Hamlets aimed at parents in recovery.
Altobelli, C Payne, C (2014) ‘Noticing the Hidden Harm’ Children &Young People BACP Journal
Altobelli, C (2014 ) ’The good enough supervisor’ Children &Young People BACP, 38-41 Journal CP,07-08.
Altobelli, C (2011) Gender difference, Families Upfront Adfam Sept-Nov Issue 2, 16-17.
Altobelli, C Rawlinson, M (2011) 'Thinking beyond the individual 'a diary of a training week. DDN magazine
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am on leave from 11/11-20/11 .
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a UKCP registered independent, integrative psychotherapist and accredited UKCP supervisor with a nursing background.View supervision profile