Christine Pearson - The Mill Counselling Service
Clayton West, Huddersfield
I am a fully trained and qualified Relate counsellor with over fifteen years experience of working with individuals, couples and families. I also work with children from 5 upwards in private practice, primary and secondary schools. When working with children and young people, as well as using 'talking therapy', I offer play therapy and use sandplay which, using miniature toys, provides a creative and fun intervention for exploring children's relationship to self, others and life experiences.
I believe each individual is unique and therefore it is important their needs and personal circumstances are considered in therapy. I feel it is important to offer an integrative therapy to clients, these can include systemic, psychodynamic, CBT and person-centered.
Along with meeting clients face-to-face, I am also able to provide counselling on the telephone and by email.
How Counselling Can Help
Sometimes situations can become too difficult to cope with on your own; stress, anxiety and worry can affect you, the relationship with your partner, children, friends and at work. I offer a safe, confidential environment where you can share your story and try and make sense of changes taking place in your life, helping you become more positive and focused.
Some of the issues counselling can help with are:
- Family Conflict
- Mental Health Issues
- Low Self Esteem
- Domestic Violence
- Parent/child difficulties
- Behavioural Issues
What To Expect at Our First Appointment
If you are attending on your own or with a partner, we will complete the necessary paperwork which asks for general information such as name, address and GP contact details. We will then explore what you feel the presenting issues are and work together on what you want from the counselling process. In a way it's like a 'mini counselling session'. You will be able to share your thoughts and feelings in a safe, confidential space without being judged.
If you are a parent(s) who would like their child to benefit from counselling, I usually invite you to meet with me initially without the child being present. The reason for this is so that issues which may not be appropriate for the child to hear, can be discussed freely. During this meeting, along with other issues we will discuss confidentiality, a brief outline about how I work with the child and any changes/situations being experienced in the family which you have already briefly mentioned. Following this initial assessment, we will arrange a mutually convenient time for me to meet with the child.
After our initial meeting, if you feel counselling is something you believe may help, we will arrange a mutually convenient day and time for further appointments; payment for the first and any on-going work is payable in advance.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate and Diploma in Counselling from the University of Leeds
- Relate Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling
- Relate Institute - included on the Relate Practitioners Directory (indicating completion of the required supervision and CPD hours
- BACP - Certificate of Proficiency
- Winston's Wish - Working creatively with bereaved children and young people
- NSCAP - Adolescence: in search for identity
- PTUK - Exploring sand play
- Northorpe C.S. - understanding anxiety/self harm/emotional well-being
- Relate Certificate in Counselling children and young people
- Child Protection and Safeguarding
- Understanding Eating Disorders
- CCMH - Therapeutic Work with Teenagers
Various Relate training has included:
- Mental Health - exploring anxiety, depression, OCD and Borderline Personality Disorder
- Using Storytelling as a Metaphor
- Telephone Counselling Training
- Counselling in text - email and live chat
- Young Survivors Training
- Training the trainer
- Supporting parents with children with additional needs
- Understand Parkinson's Disease
- Domestic Violence and Abuse
- Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse
- Couples and Affairs
- Suicidal Risk and Support
- Mental Health Awareness
- Bereavement and Loss
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Photos & videos
The price for each 50 minute counselling appointment is £45.
I can offer appointments at a reduced negotiable rate for people on low incomes and discounts are available when buying a block of 6 sessions.
Please contact me for further information on costs should the use of a sign language interpreter be required as this will have an additional fee.
The location of my premises is convenient to Huddersfield, Barnsley and Wakefield.
There is usually ample free parking available.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer day and evening appointments Monday to Friday. In addition, Saturday morning appointments can be arranged.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|