Dr Cheryl Cross
71 Marmion Road
I am a passionate and dedicated psychologist and I love the diverse nature of working in clinical psychology. I am creative and innovative and love to work with clients to help make sense of chaos and make changes in their lives.
I have worked in a wide range of clinical settings; primary care, secondary care and military CMHTs, hospital inpatient wards and residential rehabilitation units both within the NHS and privately. This range of experience has allowed me to further develop the creative application of my clinical skills by adapting them to suit the needs of clients while remaining true to the models and evidence base.
I believe across all of these settings the key to successful therapy is a compassionate and respectful therapeutic relationship. This is essential for the client to be able to develop the trust in you necessary for them take the next step and start making a difference in their lives.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked in the NHS since 2005, working in a range of clinical settings including adult and older adult mental health (both community and inpatient mental health services), neurological services, learning disability services, child and adolescent mental health services. I have also worked for the Ministry of Defence providing psychological therapy for the armed forces. I have a specialist interest in trauma focused work and a particular passion for working with the Military, Veterans and Emergency Service Personnel. I am EMDR trained and also completed the training to become a Trauma Risk Management Team Practitioner (TRiM) with the Royal Marines. I continue to work with Emergency Service Personnel and Veterans as part of my NHS post.
After qualifying as a Clinical Psychologist from the University of Southampton I worked in primary care mental health (an IAPT service) working to provide cognitive behaviour therapy to individuals with depression and anxiety disorders.
From this role I moved to provide psychological therapies as part of secondary care adult mental health services. This includes working with clients with severe, complex and chronic mental health difficulties such as personality disorders, psychosis, childhood abuse/complex trauma, dissociative disorders and complex co-morbid presentations. I also work in the DBT service and provide supervision, consultation and training to the wider community team.
I use a range of psychological therapies to suit the needs of individuals. I use Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR), Compassion Focussed Therapy, Mindfulness and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT).
- BSc (Hons) Physiology with Psychology, University of Southampton
- Grad Dip Psychology, University of East London
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (D.Clin.Psychol), University of Southampton
- Using Compassion Focused Therapy to work with the Legacy of Disrupted Childhood Attachments and Traumatic Experiences with Dr Deborah Lee, 2014
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) with Dr Maggie Stanton, 2012 and 2013
- Trauma across the lifespan, BABCP conference, 2012
- Compassion focused CBT for adults with PTSD and childhood trauma with Dr Deborah Lee, 2012
- Trauma Risk Management Team Practitioner (TRiM Pratitioner) with Major Cameron March MBE RM (Retd), 2011
- EMDR training, levels 1,2 & 3, 2011
- Trauma series module 1, Workshops 1,2 & 3, Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre, 2010
- Schema Focused Therapy with Dr. Candida Richards, 2009
- Registered Practitioner Psychologist, Health Professionals Council (HPC)
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist (C.Psychol), British Psychological Society (BPS) and the Division of Clinical Psychology
- Member of the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy (BABCP)
- Member of the EMDR Association UK & Ireland
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am also able to help individuals experiencing combat trauma, health anxiety, trauma following childbirth, trauma following a physical health condition such as cancer, depersonalization and panic with or without agoraphobia.
As well as the therapies listed I use; Compassion Focused Therapy and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT).
For information about fees, please visit http://www.hampshirepsychology.co.uk/fees-information/
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointments are available with Hampshire & Surrey Psychology associates during week days, evenings and weekends.
Types of client