Charmaine Robertson-Jones MSc (Registered with UKCP & AFT)
St. Barnabas House
Sometimes life can be a real struggle or throw challenges our way that requires space and exploration to think about our next move to manage those issues. I am a collaborative and non-judgmental therapist ... ready to listen and support you!
I am a trained Systemic Family Psychotherapist and Social worker. I have a working history in with the NHS in Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (since 2009), Social Services (Since 2004), and the NSPCC. I often work with parent and carers running parenting programs during my work within CAMHS.
I also have skills to work with adults, couples and families (experience gained from adult services in NHS/private practice) across the life span, going through difficult or straining life experiences and relationships issues. My interest is in relationships, issues that have an impact on relationships and family/couple issues and children and adolescent difficulties, such as loss/bereavement, separation and divorce, conflict in work or relationships, depression, anxiety, stress, relationships affected by substance misuse, family issues, low confidence and more see below.
The services I am able to provide are:
- Family therapy
- Couple therapy
- Individual Therapy
- Support groups for parents
- Direct work with children and adolescents
I can offer sessions to individuals of any age (adults/young people/children), couples, and families.
My private practice is based in Gillingham, and I am able to see clients within the Kent and Medway area. I can offer sessions in the evenings and Saturday mornings.
My values as a therapist
- To work collaboratively and in partnership with every client
- To be open-minded and non-judgmental
- I aim to not take sides or be blaming
- To be respectful and seek to understand your situation and experiences
- To work towards your aims and goals
- To be honest and support you in moving forward
- Creating a safe space to feel listened to and have important conversations
- At the appropriate time and when you feel safe in our therapeutic relationship, to gently challenge to help aid your insight and to deepen your self-awareness of the issues that surround your relationships issues, feelings, and circumstances.
- I have regular supervision, to ensure that you are getting the right support from me.
What to expect from an Initial sessions or consultation
- To develop your aims and goals of what you want to get out of therapy, sometimes you may not have ideas of what or how you want things to change or any goals. This is okay as you can come and talk about the issues that are having an impact upon you and your life - and your hopes regarding outcomes of the sessions may come to you as the sessions progress.
- In this session we will talk about confidentiality
- You will have a chance to ask questions about the therapy process
- We will begin to develop an understanding of how the issues your are experiencing are having an impact on all the significant areas of you life - taking into consideration the physical, emotional, mental, relationships, and other areas of importance to you such as work, self-esteem, or day to day living.
- If I am working with a couple or family group I aim to make all feel welcomed and to give everyone a chance to contribute and take part, if they wish.
- When working with children and adolescents, I use various media (art materials, drawing, flowcharts, play materials) to aid talking. I will adapt my way of working to suit peoples ages and needs.
Couple and family therapy sessions
You may wish to come as a family or a couple straight away to therapy sessions or you may decide to come alone first to explore the issues that are concerning you, before sharing how you feel and think with others. I will not take sides or hold any one to blame within these sessions, the aim is to support you and facilitate important and sensitive conversations to allow peoples feelings and perspectives to be heard and then to think about how to make the differences you and your partner/family feel is important to each of you.
I aim to make all feel welcomed and to give everyone a chance to contribute and take part, if they wish.
Research (information from the Association of Family Therapy) shows Family Therapy is useful for children, young people, adults and older adults going through a number of issues, difficulties and circumstances:
- Couple relationship difficulties
- Child and adolescent mental health issues
- Adult mental health issues
- Child, adolescent and adult behaviour difficulties
- Parenting issues
- Illness and disability in the family
- Separation, divorce and step-family life
- Anorexia, bulimia and other eating disorders
- Fostering, adoption, kinship care and the needs of ‘looked after’ children
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Drug and alcohol misuse
- The effects of trauma
- Difficulties related to ageing and other life cycle changes.
How long will it take?
The number of sessions you will require, often depends on your needs. Different clients attend therapy at different points of their life trying to manage issues - such as in a crisis or when needing to explore issues before making decisions, gaining help to make changes or to just be heard and listened too.
You don't have to make any commitment to continue therapy. Sometimes a small number of sessions can make a difference (between 1-6 sessions), whereas more complex difficulties may take longer. In our therapy schedule I ensure to build in reviews for us to explore how you are finding the sessions and if your needs are being met.
Length of sessions
Individual sessions between 45-50 minutes
Family sessions between 60-90 minutes
Couple sessions between 50-60 minutes
Children sessions 30-45 minutes - this is dependent on how long each individual child can manage.
Please call if your interested in parenting support groups.
Training, qualifications & experience
Systemic Family and Couple psychotherapist
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas I am able to work with:
- Working with Looked after Children and their social and professional networks
- Adoption experiences and issues
- Issues around culture, immigration, migration and discrimination
- Parenting issues or difficulties
- Feelings of prejudice
- Issues connected to social differences, such as, age, disability/ability, racism, gender, sexuality, religion, spirituality, employment, education, class, appearance.
Photos & videos
Introductory session £40 per hour
Individual sessions £50 per hour
Couple sessions £65 per hour
Family sessions between £70-£80 per hour
The parent support groups depend on how many parents attend - please call if your interested in this service.
If sessions need to be cancelled please do so at least 24 hours before the session. I do recognise that sometimes sessions have be to canceled for all types of reasons. If sessions are not cancelled, with at least 24 hours notice full session fees are still payable due the cost of room hire and other costs I will incur.
I am a registered psychotherapist and a member of these organisations:
- United Kingdom of Psychotherapists - UKCP
- Association of Family Therapy - AFT
- Health Care professionals Council - HCPC as a social worker
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays evenings, Tuesday evenings, Friday evenings and Saturday mornings. Please email me as I'm currently out of the country until 30th August 2016.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|