Cathy Cook. B.A.(Hons) Counselling. FdA. MBACP. New Life Counselling.
Cheltenham Mediation Services Ltd
10 Bath Street
Hi, and welcome to my page...
All of us, at some point in our lives, are likely to feel overwhelmed by our feelings. Relationship breakdowns, bereavement, family issues, depression, anxiety, etc. can leave us struggling to function as well as we would like. I am passionate about supporting people through difficult situations and empowering them to reach their full potential.
I can offer you a confidential, supportive, safe, warm, welcoming, non-judgmental space where we can look at what is distressing you and find the best way forward.
My counselling room is located in the heart of Cheltenham, where we can chat in a private and pleasant environment.
Following your initial enquiry I will offer you a free one-to-one, no obligation session to ensure that you feel comfortable to continue with further sessions. We will discuss what you hope to achieve from counselling and establish goals. Subsequent sessions will be one-to-one, last 50 minutes and, ideally, be on a weekly basis.
As an experienced integrative counsellor I will tailor different counselling approaches to suit your individual needs. I offer both short-term therapy (6 - 8 weeks), which is more solution focused, or open-ended therapy, where you have more freedom to discover how your past may still be affecting you and explore ways in which to move forward confidently.
My experience in counselling includes a wide range of issues including:
- Relationship difficulties
- Divorce, separation and blended/step families
- Domestic Abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Low self-esteem, feelings of inadequacy and inability to cope
- Anger issues
- Struggling socially
- Struggling at school
- Stress at work
My clients originate from a wide variety of circumstances and ethnic backgrounds, and I welcome clients from all faiths or none.
I am a Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and work within their ethical framework. I also hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
Feel free to telephone or email me if you have any questions. I will be unable to answer my telephone if I am counselling, so please leave me your contact details and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Training, qualifications & experience
- BA (Hons) in Counselling
- FdA in Therapeutic Counselling
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies (CPCAB)
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (CPCAB)
In addition to my private practice, I am a counsellor with Teens In Crisis plus (a charity offering counselling to young people aged 9 - 24 years in Gloucestershire) and a School Counsellor at two local secondary schools.
I have worked with a diverse range of clients from many different backgrounds, nationalities and faiths, however, my main experience has been gained in 'The School of Life', equipping me to empathise fully with the experiences of others.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Please note that the first counselling session is entirely free, with no obligation to continue.
- The fee is £40 per hour thereafter (50 minute session).
- Note: A bursary may be available for those who are struggling financially (evidence required)
- Concessions available for students
- Short-term or Long-term counselling undertaken.
- Counselling undertaken on behalf of churches and other organisations.
- Back-to-work counselling undertaken on behalf of employers or individuals.
- Home counselling is available by special arrangement for those who are housebound or have difficulty attending Cheltenham Town Centre.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am at Cheltenham on Tuesday and Thursdays late afternoon and evenings. Please phone/email to discuss further.
Types of client