Catherine Pamplin MA Art Pschotherapy, HCPC Reg.
1 Market Street
I am a qualified Art Therapist, full member of the British Association of Art Therapists and state registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). I warmly welcome you to contact me, whatever your concerns or reasons for seeking therapeutic support.
Why art therapy? Art therapy is form of psychotherapy that, together with the option of talking, uses art materials and art-making to explore, express and communicate feelings, thoughts, issues and concerns. The art-making process and the artworks can ‘hold’ and help us cope with things that are otherwise difficult to bear. Our art can also bring unexpected and healing insights. Sessions focus on the things that are most meaningful, important and concerning to you.
Art therapy can benefit people of any age, background or ability, including those with complex needs, disabilities or life-limiting conditions. I work with children, young people, adults and the elderly. No experience of art or therapy is necessary and those who find talking difficult or impossible, or who simply crave a creative outlet, may find art therapy especially beneficial.
Art therapy is used in many settings, including hospitals, schools, care homes, hospices, prisons, mental health services and community well-being initiatives.
I have personal as well as professional experience of the value of art therapy, so I am passionate about sharing the benefits Art Therapy can bring for those struggling with issues such as:
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Loss and Grief
- Anxiety or Fear
- Relationship/Family issues or breakdown
- Infertility, post-natal depression, adoption, fostering, children in care
- Trauma or Abuse
- Self harm or addiction
- Health issues, including chronic or terminal illness
- Physical or mental disabilities
- Being cared for, or a Carer
- Other difficulties experienced or faced
Currently I offer one-to-one Art Therapy sessions at Riverside Wellbeing, which has two lovely therapy rooms and is based in Whaley Bridge.
I am also exploring possibilities to offer Art Therapy sessions in Buxton, which may include Group Art Therapy or 'Arts for Wellbeing' workshops, so please do let me know if these would be of interest to you.
I am happy to work in schools, hospitals, care homes and other settings, provided suitable arrangements can be agreed with the venue.
Training, qualifications & experience
Postgraduate Masters of Arts (MA) in Art Psychotherapy, Goldsmiths College, University of London (2009)
Undergraduate Degree (BSc) in Anthropology, University College London (UCL) (2000)
Other Art Therapy related training:
Rewind Technique (for Trauma) 2016
Brief approaches to Art Therapy 2015
Neuroscience, Attachment & Creativity 2014
Working with Anger in Art Therapy 2014
Private Practice Training 2014
For 5 years I worked for a London-based children's charity, offering therapeutic support to children in schools as well as to their parents and carers. I worked as an Art Therapist, Supervisor to trainees and charity Coordinator.
During my training as an Art Therapist I worked in an NHS adult psychiatric hospital, with in-patients and outpatients.
Prior to training as a therapist I worked for charities in the UK and overseas (Uganda, Indonesia and the Caribbean) including working with vulnerable, marginalised people and with former child soldiers.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Phone enquiries - no charge.
- Initial consultation (Art Therapy Assessment) - 50 minutes: £40
- Weekly Art Therapy (one-to-one) sessions @ Riverside Wellbeing - 50 minutes: £45 [If you have little income or receive benefits please ask me about a discretionary reduced fee]
- Weekly Art Therapy (one-to-one) sessions @ other locations: £30-55 depending on venue arrangements
- Weekly block booking by a school, care home or other organisation: £30-55 per session, or day rate negotiable
- Group Art Therapy and 'Arts for Well-Being' group sessions - prices and locations to be confirmed.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have. If I am unable to answer please do leave me a message, ideally with the best times to contact you, and I will call you back.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Currently available for one-to-one and group work, with some flexibility around times and days.
Types of client