Catherine Cowie B.Sc., M.Sc. (Counselling), MBACP
I'd feel privileged to welcome you to my person-centred counselling practice in Alloway, South Ayrshire.
Making the decision to begin a counselling relationship is a very personal process. Before committing to one, you're likely to want to confirm both that counselling is appropriate for you, and that you're comfortable with the counsellor you're considering. You are most welcome to make preliminary contact with me, without any obligation, so you can find out a bit more and so together we can explore whether I'd be the right counsellor for you. You can do this through my website (www.catherinecowiecounselling.co.uk), phoning (voicemail inbox), by sending a text or by e-mailing me.
Again and again I see changes unfolding in my clients. My way of working with clients is based on the fundamental understandings at the heart of the person-centred approach. These include the viewpoint that since each person's set of experiences is unique to them, so too is each person's way of perceiving and responding to the world. It would be my job as your counsellor to learn from you what it's like to lead your life.
It has been demonstrated repeatedly that just being in the type of relationship where you are warmly accepted and accurately understood can behealing and can release the creative, developmental tendency that every person is born with. You too can move forward from the place you're in now with my help. As an experienced and skilled person-centred counsellor, I'd be committed to understanding you and offering you a genuine, non-judgmental and confidential relationship in a physically and emotionally safe place. If this sounds like something you'd like to try, why not get in touch?
- I work with adults (aged 18 years or over) and young adults (aged 14 years -17 years).
- I can see clients on a one-to-one basis, as a couple or in a small family group.
- I have particular experience of working with students.
- Appointments are available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, daytime and early evening. I may also be able to offer appointments at other times by arrangement.
- Session last around 50 minutes though a first session may take 75 - 90 minutes (to allow for necessary administrative tasks).
- Normally I'll see clients weekly, though if circumstances require (e.g. to fit with irregular work patterns) appointments can be more or less frequent than this.
- When clients can't get to me regularly, we can work via Skype
- Personal change goes at its own pace so it's difficult to estimate how many sessions an individual will need. Many clients feel insufficiently ready to end in fewer than six sessions, but it's important that clients feel in control in the counselling relationship - the decision to end is always in the client's hands.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Counselling (University of Strathclyde)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Adult Educational Guidance (University of Strathclyde)
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Physics and Mathematics (University of Edinburgh)
- Working towards MBACP(Accred) status
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
My fees for professional services are:
- £35 per session for individuals
- £45 per session for couples and small family groups
- It matters to me that counselling should be available to everybody irrespective of their income, and so I have a few reduced-cost places available to low waged or unwaged clients.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, daytime and early evening. Other appointments may be available by arrangement
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|