Catherine Brown-Counsellor and Psychotherapist. MBACP(Registered)
Hello and welcome to my counselling profile.
I am a qualified counsellor, and a member of the UK's professional counselling organisation, the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy(BACP). As a member of the BACP I adhere to working inline with the BACP ethical framework and I have an up to date DBS check.
I have an undergraduate degree in Counselling Studies and a BACP Accredited Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I have experience of counselling children, teenagers, and adults.
With my adult clients, i use the Relational approach, which is all about providing a safe, non-judgemental space for you to talk about what is going on in your life. Through counselling I will help you to explore how you relate to yourselves and others, both now and in the past.
In some cases i work creatively with adult clients, using art materials, in order for clients to visually and abstractly express their thoughts, and feelings, because sometimes it may be hard to put into words what is troubling or confusing for you.
The aim of counselling is what you want it to be: whether you just need someone to talk to if you are experiencing or have experienced a tough time in your life; if you wish to better understand the thoughts and feelings you are experiencing; or if you feel that you need to come to terms with what is occurring or has occurred in your life.
Some of the areas I have counselled include: counselling clients who have anxiety disorders, depression, mental health issues; clients who have been abused as a child or adult; work related stress; bereavement counselling; low self esteem issues; seasonal affective disorder, and counselling clients who are experiencing relationship issues.
For my teenage and child clients, i provide a space for for you to express, explore and begin to understand your thoughts and feelings around what is going on in your lives, by using an art and play therapy approach.
I have experience of counselling children at school through the nationally recognised organisation Place2Be.
I have counselled children and teenagers with a range issues, such as; by helping them to come to terms with their parent's separation or divorce, bullying (not only in person but through social media channels, such as Facebook etc), abuse, and self esteem issues.
Previously, i have worked with clients referred by the NHS and victims of crime referred by the North Yorkshire Police, based in Malton and in Scarborough.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP Accredited Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Undergraduate BA honours in Counselling Studies: 2.1
- Trauma and the body. Positive outcomes for Dissociative Survivors
- Couples Counselling Certificate. Leeds Psychotherapy Institute
- Relational Trauma. Positive outcomes for Dissociative Survivors
- The Psychology of Dreams and Personal Resilience. Rossett School
- Working with victims of domestic abuse.Community Counselling
- Working with clients who have been sexually abused. Community Counselling
- Cognition and Memory. British Psychological Society
- Neglect and Abuse in Childhood and Adolescence, effective interventions and Ways Forward.Dr. Margot Sunderland
- Mental Health Awareness. York and District MIND
- How to work with children using play and art therapy. Place2Be
- Child Protection and Safeguarding. Place2Be
- Making endings with children in therapy.Place2Be
- Working with someone with a visual impairment. The York Blind and Partially Sighted Society
Further Voluntary/Work Experience:
- Part of the mental health organisation, York and District MIND for two years helping within the befriending scheme.
- Part of the charity organisation, The York Blind and Partially Sighted Society helping within the befriending scheme.
- Peer Tutor role supporting first year undergraduate counselling students at York St John University.
- Took part in Playback Theatre workshops for three months, involving personal stories being acted out, and heading a workshop for 12-14 year old drama students, with a team of undergraduate counselling and drama students from York St John University.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
An initial first counselling assessment appointment with me is £30
Afterwards, for counselling sessions, I offer two options which are a:
10 sessions at a cost of £400, which works out as £40 per counselling session.
PAY AS YOU GO:
£50 per counselling session
*Reduced rates are available for unemployed clients and students
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Varied availability during the week and on saturdays. Feel free to contact me for further information
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|