Carolyn Stevens MBACP Senior Accredited - LifeSpace Counselling
02476 342 554
Do you feel that life now isn't how you want it to be? Do you sometimes find that, in spite of your friends and family, you still have a sense of being alone or feel that you don't really belong? It may be that past experiences still have you in their grip. Perhaps parts of your life now are causing you stress or anxiety. As a Person Centred counsellor I will respect what is important to you and work with you to understand your reactions and experience. Once you have a clearer understanding about how things are affecting you and your life, it is easier to work out how to make the changes that will make a real improvement.
The world can be an unfriendly place sometimes, particularly if others react more to the differences between us than to the similarities. I value the differences each person brings whether that is in terms of your individual identity and description, or in how you have experienced your life so far. I aim to help you rediscover strengths and qualities that are intuitively yours and help you use them to find a way forward.
I qualified as a counsellor in 1998, and have worked full time as a counsellor and teacher of counselling since then. My early experience of working in a rape and sexual abuse centre gave me an understanding of how power can be used abusively. This, combined with my previous role in the NHS as a Speech and Language Therapist, means that I believe it is profoundly important to not only be able to communicate our distress, but also to be heard and understood in our distress. This belief is at the root of all my counselling work, be it with individuals or couples, or in short or long term contracts.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 1979 BSc (hons) Speech Pathology and Therapy
- 1991 RSA Counselling Skills
- 1998 Diploma in Humanistic Counselling (Distinction)
- 2002 Post-Graduate Certificate in Person Centred Group Facilitation
- 2002 Post graduate Certificate in Education
- 2004 Intermediate Certificate in Equality and Diversity
- 2009 Diploma in Casework Supervision
- 2013 MA Death Studies (Distinction)
- 1979 - 1995 Speech and language Therapist working with adults and children with speech and language difficulties
- 1995 - 2000 Work within the Rape Crisis movement, including work with domestic violence, rape, child sexual abuse.
- 1999 - 2006 Lecturer in counselling skills and counselling at all levels
- 1999 - 2009 Freelance trainer in use of counselling skills in NHS professions, stress management, assertiveness
- 2000 to date Private practice as a counsellor and supervisor
- Recognising and responding to Personality Disorder (C&W Partnership Trust
- Psychopharmacology and Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Working with unprepared clients (BACP)
- Recent developments in the Psychology of Bereavement (Therapy Challenges)
- Working with communication patterns between couples (Therapy Challenges)
- Trauma and the Body: Somatisation and Dissociation (PODS)
- Making Trauma Therapy Safer (Babette Rothschild)
- Working with the Older LGBT Person Pink Therapy)
- Counselling and the Law
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Counselling £45 per session
Counselling (student counsellors) £40 per session
Couples £50 per session
Supervision £45 per hour
Supervision (student counsellors) £40 per hour
I work from purpose built premises, in a quiet location with easy parking.
The counselling room can be accessed by a ramp if need be, please alert me to this when making an appointment so I can make sure the ramp is in place.
I can offer appointments during the daytime and in the evenings.
I work with adults and older adults.
Long or short term work.
I am experienced in working with EAPs and other workplace funded counselling schemes.
I have experience in working with organisations who have experienced a critical incident.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays and Thursdays, daytime and evening
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have worked as a supervisor for 15 years, and I am a Senior Accredited Supervisor with BACP. I work within the Person Centred model and I see supervision as a collegiate process where my role is to help you think more clearly about yourself as a counsellor, your clients and the processes between you.View supervision profile