Carolyn De Ferrars
- My name is Carolyn and I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor offering private counselling in Godalming and Farnham, Surrey. We all struggle with issues in life that cause us anxiety and distress. Sometimes it can be hard to talk to friends and family about problems and difficult emotions. I can offer you a safe, confidential space in which you can talk about anything that you need to, without criticism or fear of being judged.
I have a special interest in working with teenagers (10+) and have received specialist training in working with this age group. Previously I have worked in a secondary school and mentored young people. Some teenagers like to just talk about things. Some prefer a more creative approach. I am able to be flexible regarding the style and content of the sessions. Our sessions are informal and the emphasis is on helping the young person to feel comfortable enough with me to be able to share their difficulties.
- I also work with children aged 5+. Counselling children is very different from counselling adults. I use a lot of play based techniques in order to help the child to express themselves and work through their anxieties. Some of the therapeutic tools I use are drawing, Play Doh, drama and story telling.
How counselling may help?
You may feel that you need help with a specific issue such as a bereavement, redundancy or other life event. At other times it can feel as if life is a real struggle and you may feel confused, dissatisfied or lacking confidence. Sometimes you come to realise that events that have happened in the past can be affecting the way that you live your life today.
I can offer you a safe space to explore any of these issues in your own time. Building up a good relationship between us is really important, in order that you will feel able to talk about these difficult feelings and thoughts. It is not unusual to feel nervous about taking the first step and talking to someone that you don't know about your concerns. I offer an initial FREE 20-30 minute taster session. This gives you the opportunity to meet me and to ask any questions that you have about the counselling process.
How I work:
I am trained to help you to explore, and make sense of personal difficulties or to look at how you may want to change some areas of your life. I will not tell you what to do or give you advice. My aim is to enable you to look at options and develop ways of altering your approach to life, empowering you to move forward and make changes that will benefit you, both now and in the future.
I believe that everyone is an individual and has different styles, personalities and outlooks on life. Working as an Integrative Counsellor enables me to draw upon different approaches in order to offer you a way of working that best suits you.
I have experience working with individuals from all walks of life. Issues I have helped people with recently include
- relationship issues
- bullying at
- self harm
- exam stress
- transition to secondary school
- job loss
- family issues
- low self esteem
Training, qualifications & experience
FdA Integrative Counselling, University of Greenwich (commended)
Post graduate Diploma in Counselling children and Young People , University of Wales. (MA level)
I am an Accredited Member of BACP and am on their Professional Register. I adhere to their Code of Ethics.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
I offer a free taster session which lasts 20- 30 minutes .This allows you to find out a bit more about counselling and to see if you feel that counselling will help you at this time.
I offer 50 minute sessions which costs £45 per session.I can offer concessions in certain circumstances-please ask.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Wednesdays 18.00-21.00 Saturdays 09.00-13.00
Types of client