BLISS Services. Andrew Welch BSC (HONS) CBT. FDA Counselling (MBACP) (MBABCP)
3-13 Quay Road
Erik Tolhurst Centre
01670 540 979 (Daytime) / 07921252107 (Daytime/Evening)
We can offer affordable sessions between £15-£30 per hour. (depending on your circumstances) for problems that relate to: Anger management, depression, social anxiety, OCD, ADHD, PTSD, generalised anxiety, phobias, health anxiety, panic, self esteem, relationship problems, eating disorders, stress, relationships and substance use.
I manage and provide Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and humanistic counselling services for BLISS services, a charity located in Blyth Northumberland. (Charity no: 1073474)
Referrals to our Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and counselling services are predominantly made by Doctors Surgeries, Primary Care Teams, Social Services, the clients themselves and a variety of partner organisations.
We also offer Adult and Child Anger Management Coaching, most of the childrens' referrals are from schools or social services.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a fully qualified Cognitive Behavioural Therapist Bsc (Hons) and a Fully qualified counsellor (FDA). I gained these qualifications at Cumbria University and Sunderland University.
I have worked at a Drug and alcohol centre, employment mentoring service, in schools, a youth service and I have worked at BLISS for six years as an anger management coach/mediator, counsellor and now as a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist.
I currently deliver CBT for anger management and domestic violence awareness for social services clients at Blyth and Ashington Social Services. I attend multi disciplinary meetings at social services providing assessments and reports.
I have delivered CBT workshops at Northumberland College for student counsellors and we are in the process of setting up placements for trainee counsellors.
- Bsc (Hons) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Foundation Degree In Cognitive Behavioural Counselling
- Counselling With Eating Disorders Certificate
- Introduction To Gestalt Therapy
- Counselling Level 2
- Counselling Level 3
- NVQ Level 3 Information Advice and Guidance
- Anger Management Coaching Certificate
- Assertive Training level 2
- Assertive Training level 3
- NVQ level 3 Community Mediation Skills
- Domestic Violence Certificate
- 1st Degree Reiki Training
- Drug Awareness Level 1
- Alcohol Awareness Level 1
- Counselling With Dreams and Images
- Family Mediation certificate
- Mental Health Awareness
- Counselling in schools certificate
- Working with Survivors of Sexual Abuse Certificate
- Working with Asylum Seekers Certificate
- Child Protection Safegaurding Certificate
- Working with Eating Disorder Certificate
- Changing times and changing counselling workshop
I am a member of the British Association for Counsellors & Psychotherapists (MBACP)and I am also a member of the British Association of Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapists (MBABCP) and i am committed to work within their ethical guidelines.
I receive clinical supervision once a month from an accredited BABCP supervisor
Member organisations *
Areas of counselling we deal with
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling we deal with
BLISS Services also offer:
- Family mediation
- Community Mediation
- Anger management coaching in schools
- CBT Workshops (£35 Per person)
- Domestic violence workshops (£35 Per person)
Because we are a registered charity we can offer rates between £15-£30 per hour depending on your financial circumstances. These prices will beat any other services that charge!
A reduced rate of £10 will be charged for your first consultation so that you can decide whether counselling or CBT is for you.
After the first consultation we will work together to decide which therapy would be best suited to meet your needs. These options are outlined below however these will be explained and will be made clear to you in our first session.
Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy
CBT assists people by equipping them with a framework to help them cope more effectively with their thinking and behaviour enabling people to lead a more fulfilled life. The National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines recommend CBT for psychological treatment for Anxiety and Depression disorders. CBT tends to be the chosen treatment model because it has the most evidence based research in identifying the positive outcomes for its effectiveness.
- Ultimately the CBT intervention becomes a self help tool for individuals empowering a person with the skills to help them to understand and manage their individual conditions.
- CBT is a time limited, direct, goal orientated, scientifically tested talking therapy that collaboratively helps individuals focus on beliefs that relate to the person, others and the world.
- A Cognitive Behavioural Therapist can help clients recognise unhelpful thoughts; the therapist helps a client to challenge these thoughts to test if they are logical.
- Changing unhelpful thoughts can in theory help a client to feel and behave differently
Clients receive an in-depth psychological assessment using diagnostic tests such as:
- The hospital anxiety and depression score (HADS) and the novaco anger scale
- A problem list is drawn up with 5-6 problems that the client wants to change through CBT.
- Usually between 8-12 sessions are required for a duration of one hour per session to achieve goals that are collaboratively agreed to work on.
- Continued clinical supervision is secured with an accredited BABCP supervisor.
Humanistic counselling makes the assumption that all individuals have the capacity to heal and grow from a trauma or a negative enviroment. By providing the right conditions in therapy, a client is given the opportunity to flourish and grow, this facilitates change in their lives. Humanistic therapy emphasizes the uniqueness of the individual and explores the nature of creativity, love, and self actualization. Humanistic therapy includes psychotherapies such as person-centered therapy, Gestalt and transactional analysis.
- Humanistic therapy is a non-directive approach
- Humanistic therapy has no time constraints (Regarding number of sessions)
- Helps to gain awareness in the 'here and now'
- Helps to make sense of experiences, feelings, thoughts and behaviours
- Promotes self directed growth
- Provides these conditions: Empathy, genuineness and unconditional positive regard.
Can provide home visits under special circumstances.
We have disabled access and our therapy rooms are spacious, private and very comfortable.
'My Anxiety doesn't control me any more I control it. I have learnt to put unhelpful thoughts into perspective for example when I have an unhelpful thought I weigh the situation up and think of both sides. It isn't just black and white anymore and this has helped a lot.'
Feedback from a CBT client
"We regularly refer patients to Bliss Services for help with Anger Management problems. This is an increasing problem amongst our patient population and we are frequently asked by patients to make referrals. There is some evidence that brief CBT based therapy is useful in helping people find appropriate strategies for managing their anger. There is a gap in the provision locally for people with specific anger management issues who would not be appropriate for group therapy. We have had positive feedback from patients who have used the service at Bliss."
Feedback from Dr. E. Watson of Seaton Park Medical Group
"The counselling sessions have been very helpful in respect to my misuse and also helping me to cope and deal with problems of anxiety. Every session I have attended has helped me greatly as the feeling of pressure has been lifted after my counselling. The sessions and service has changed me as a person and helped the problems I face day to day. I have gained enough confidence to return to the working environment."
Feedback from a Mr C. Curry (Counselling client)
As a social worker and senior Practitionaer at Northumberland Children Services, I have worked With BLISS Services for a number of years. BLISS is an important local service which children Services use as an invaluble source for supporting children and their families. The service is essential particually for mediation, counselling and anger management. I would support any future funding for BLISS as it would be highly dissappointing if this service was not to continue.
Sarah Bulmer. Social Worker.
The course has been excellent for me, I have a clear view of my old core beliefs and how they came about, I now understand why they are better for me, the best thing is, now I have a good understanding of thinking styles and most importantly I can use these to challenge my thoughts what ever the situation, this has helped me massively, Andy is very easy to talk to and very good at helping to understand why I think and act the way I did! Overall I think Andy and the course has changed the way I think and act for the better, and because of this I have a lot more control and a much better outlook of the world and the future, I would not hesitate to recommend Andy to anyone.
Feedback from a CBT Client
"I have got out of counselling how to challenge my thoughts when I get angry and getting my children off the register and learnt to think of the consequences of my actions and to stay out of trouble."
Feedback from a anger management client
"I learnt that you can’t die from a panic attack. I liked how easy it is to talk without getting judged. I really enjoyed talking freely.☺"
Feedback from a Counselling client
BLISS would like to thank the individuals who have allowed us to share these testimonials!
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|