Bettina Gross - BA, PgDip, MSc Counselling & Psychotherapy, MBACP
Bearsden Baptist Church
14 Roman Road
My name is Bettina Gross, I grew up in Germany but I have been living in Glasgow with my family for almost ten years. I am a qualified and experienced Person Centred and integrative Psychotherapist and a registered member [MBACP] of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP).
I am also trained in Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT).
In my experience psychotherapy/counselling empowers the individual to find their own way of dealing with their issues in life with the help of the counsellor/therapist. You might need to process traumatic events, bereavement or you might experience anxiety, feeling depressed or lonely. It could even be that you need to learn how to cope with chronic illness or you want to improve your relationships and the way you interact with people.
Sometimes it can be helpful if we just allow ourselves to look at painful and uncomfortable emotions which have been with us for a long time but we have tried to oppress them. This could be anger, anxiety, deep emotional pain, boredom, disgust etc. Learning to allow ourselves to experience these emotions in an accepting way can be freeing and enables positive change.
I work with what clients want to bring into the session and want to work on. My aim is to provide a safe, non-judgemental and confidential space for you to get in touch with your feelings and make sense of them, learn to deal with difficult emotions in a more helpful way and also work on possible solutions for a positive change wherever this is needed in your life.
The uniqueness of every client is very important to me. I work with my clients according to their needs. I see my role in supporting my clients to move forward into a new place of hope, freedom and peace in life.
At Tom Allan Centre in Glasgow I have worked with a variety of clients in short term or long term therapy/counselling who have brought multiple issues into the sessions. Two of the most common issues people suffer from are social anxiety and depression so I have a lot of experience in these areas.
I am also experienced in short term counselling and by working as an employee assistance counsellor I have experienced what a positive impact even a few sessions can have for some clients.
I would support you in:
- identifying the main cause of your issue
- developing an acceptance of yourself and becoming able to deal with your situation in a more productive way
- identifying your needs and exploring ways of how you can care for your needs
- setting individual goals if needed/wanted so that you can achieve the desired change
This psychological teaching video from the Norwegian Institute of Emotion Focused Therapy shows the importance of dealing with our emotions in a healthy way so that we are able to attend to our needs and the needs of others.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Master Course (MSc) in Person-centred Counselling and Psychotherapy, Strathclyde University, Glasgow
- Post-graduate Diploma in Person-centred Counselling and Psychotherapy, Strathclyde University, Glasgow
- Advanced Professional Development Training in Emotion Focused Therapy (Experiential Psychotherapy) Level 1 and 2, Strathclyde University, Glasgow
- Emotion Focused Therapy Masterclasses
- Cerificate in Counselling Supervision (COSCA) (ongoing)
- HNC in Integrative Counselling and Professional Development Award in Addiction Counselling, Anniesland College, Glasgow
- Bachelor of Social Pedagogy, Duesseldorf, Germany
The MSc and post-graduate Diploma degrees are accredited by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP).
As part of my ongoing professional development I have undertaken several trainings:
- Understanding Perinatal Depression
- Autism Awareness training
- ASIST (Applied suicide intervention skills training)
- Positive Parenting Programme ( Pre-school and Pre-teens)
- Anger Management psychosocial intervention training
- Coping with Anxiety psychosocial intervention training
- Christian Counselling and Inner Healing Ministries
- Advanced Empathic Attunement, training course for Psychological Practitioners
- Counselling Supervision Certificate Course (COSCA)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Hearing voices
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
Photos & videos
Each session is a therapeutic hour of 50 min and is charged at a rate of £40 per session. However lack of money should not hinder you from getting the help you need. Therefore I offer reduced rates. Please feel free to discuss this with me. The sessions can be done in person or by Skype.
My practice at Bearsden Baptist Church is wheelchair accessible.
How many sessions do you need?
The number of sessions needed is unique and depends on the change you want to make and it depends on the support you need for it. It can vary from a few sessions to longer term work. This is entirely up to your need and your circumstances. And although you will be in charge of the duration of our work together we will discuss what would be helpful for you to work on in our time together and I will help you to focus on the important issues.
How will you know if I am the right therapist for you?
Counselling/Psychotherapy is very personal and therefore needs the right relationship between the counsellor and client. At the first session we will start to explore if counselling/psychotherapy could be helpful for you. You will then get an idea of the way how I would work with you and you will get a feeling of what counselling/psychotherapy is. The first session will give you/us the chance to assess whether you/we would like to continue meeting and working together.
What to do next?
I would be delighted to accompany and support you on your way to become more free to live your life the way you would like it to be. You can sent me an email or give me a call for a free short telephone consultation where we can decide if it would be beneficial for you to meet me for a first session. If I do not answer the phone please leave a message with contact details or send me a text and I will get back to you as soon as possible, usually within 24hrs.
Stress Relief Workshops
Beside working in face to face counselling settings I facilitate workshops for stress management and stress relief with focus on experiential exercises from the mindfulness approach or by using progressive muscle relaxation.
My workshops aim to be positive uplifting, informative and practical. I offer these workshops for groups of 5-30 people in private or corporate settings. Durations of workshops can vary according to setting and purpose from 50 min - 3hours. Fees are available on request.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Thursdays and Thursday evening, Fridays day time. Due to relocation only shorter term face to face work available until August. Sessions via Skype or telephone continue to be available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|