Barrie Foster (BSJ Consultancy Counselling & Psychotherapy)
07949 140 226
Private, confidential counselling and psychological therapy clinic 10 minutes drive from the Centre of Louth and Horncastle (home consultations also available):
Welcome to my profile page, my name is Barrie and I work integratively with counselling and psychotherapy. This means I use models like cognitive behavioural therapy, gestalt therapy, person-centred counselling, EMDR, solution focussed therapy, NLP and clinical hypnotherapy to help you recover from past trauma and current issues around stress, anxiety, low mood and depression.
"I believe there is often much more to helping a person than talking and listening." Barrie Foster.
Here are just a few of the areas I can help you with:
- divorce, separation and relationship issues
- confidence building, low self-esteem, body image
- childhood abuse or trauma
- adult abuse or trauma
- loss of a loved one or bereavement issues
- post traumatic stress disorder, including emotional residue from accidents
- low mood and depression, including post-natal depression
- anxiety, including social phobia
- stress, including moving home, new job or a change in circumstances
Everyone is unique in their individuality and if your problem is not listed, I may still be able to help. Please feel free to ask.
Here are some recent client testimonials:
"I feel like I've got my life back, thank you Barrie." Client, Louth, Lincolnshire.
"Counselling wasn't what I expected, it was so much more informal and very helpful." Client, Horncastle, Lincolnshire.
"Counselling isn't a miracle cure, but supported me whilst I was going through a very difficult time. Afterwards, I felt stronger and more able to manage with my life. Thank you." Client, Louth, Lincolnshire.
"Without you, I wouldn't be here. Thank you Barrie." Client, Lincolnshire.
* I will adhere to the ethical and moral values of the BACP Ethical Framework. Basically this means I will treat you with respect and provide a safe, confidential and ethical relationship.
* Our first session is an initial consultation which generally lasts for 60 minutes. This is an opportunity to meet each other, discuss your problem, for me to take a note of your history, and for us both to discuss your goals/outcomes of your therapy.
* I generally works short term, up to 6 sessions. However, the number of sessions is determined by your needs and choice.
* At the end of the initial assessment/consultation, I will give you an honest opinion as to whether I feel counselling/therapy will be useful to you.
* I will normally ask you to provisionally commit to a number of sessions at this time. This will help me to formulate a treatment programme to suit your needs.
* During our time together, I will encourage you to share your thoughts and feelings about what is bothering you. I will also remind you in many therapeutic ways that you are valued and respected.
* I will help us both develop a professional, trusting relationship, as I listen to you expressing your difficulties.
* When you feel ready, working as a team, we will process your feelings to help bring you to a happier and more contented place in your life.
My clinic is 10 minutes drive from the centre of Louth and 10 minutes drive from the centre of Horncastle.
I can also travel throughout the Louth and surrounding areas of Lincolnshire to provide home consultations. The fee may be a little more due to travelling time and expenses. If you have a query about this, please feel free to contact me via the contact on this profile page, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you read down this page, I give quite an insight into my background. I am a genuine, friendly person, have lots of experience with meeting new people, and have been told I help make my clients feel comfortable and safe, which is very important when entering into a professional relationship where the client needs to find the courage to trust their therapist or counsellor.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counselling qualifications to Post Graduate level.
- E.M.D.R. Part 1, 2, 3.
- N.L.P. Practitioner and Master Practitioner.
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy (accredited by the British Medical Hypnotherapy Examination Board).
- Time Line Therapy Practitioner.
- Solution Focused Therapy.
- Over 20 years experience in private practice.
- Continuing Professional Development.
Barrie Foster is a Registered Member of the B.A.C.P. and a Member of the U.K. Guild of Hypnotist Examiners and a trusted provider for insurers.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am also the Narrator to over 150 different self-help CD and Mp3 downloads available via www.selfhypnosis.com. From healthy eating to fear of commitment, from positive thinking to anger management, my voice guides you through a safe and encouraging journey towards your healing and a healthier lifestyle.
Photos & videos
- Fee from £50 per consultation (60 minutes).
- Generally short-term intervention, approximately 4 - 6 sessions. Therapy is tailored to meet your specific needs and requirements.
How did I become a counsellor and multi-modal therapist?
I soon learned that if I wanted to get anywhere in life, I had to put in the extra effort to get there. For years I worked very hard and achieved useful skills in many different areas. But the 1980s recession changed my working life completely. I looked at this change as an opportunity to try something new, to push myself out of my comfort zone, take some risks and challenge myself. I chose to see just what I could achieve.
This was an important episode in my life and a huge part to finding out my own strengths and capabilities. You can read more about how therapy changed me and how I work with clients in a recently published book called The Clients Dance, available from Amazon.
I went on to study and learn different psychotherapy models, like integrated counselling, EMDR, NLP, clinical hypnotherapy and solution focussed therapy.
I like to keep the attitude that we never stop learning and developing. We people, if we choose, can learn and grow all the time, pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone to discover more about our capabilities. We can create our own opportunities in life, if we are prepared to put in the hard work to get there.
I qualified to work in private practice in the 1980s and worked both full and part time whilst continuing to develop in other areas of my life. I lectured for a large London based training organisation, delivered talks and lectures to fellow therapists and developed my own practical based therapy. During this time, I also travelled around the UK and to South Africa facilitating and assisting with workshops and seminars.
In the 1990s, whilst working in an inner city high school, I developed further as a professional and ethical counsellor and therapist. I developed the first in-school counselling service for young people in Leeds, West Yorkshire. In the background, I continued to work in private practice, going on to develop a practice in central London, and gaining further experience working for the NHS.
Now, I bring my professional experience as a counsellor and therapist, and, first-hand experience of personal change to help clients recover from difficulties and reach a more comfortable place in their life.
Both my books The Client's Dance and Do it for you are written in an clear, jargon free way and could be useful to fellow counsellors/therapists, clients, or those who take an interest in the area. Both are available via Amazon kindle.
Thanks for taking time to read my profile.
Wishing you well,
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Generally flexible, within office hours, 9am to 5pm. However, I am available some evenings and weekends, please contact me for further details.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|