Dr B Bhanot
Counselling Services Of Stortford
12 Water Lane
Dr Bandhana (Benny) Bhanot, Clinical Psychologist (CPsychol, DClinPsych, HCPC Registered).
I am based at:
Water Lane Cottage for Counselling and Psychotherapy
12 Water Lane
My contact details are: firstname.lastname@example.org 07731698444
I am an experienced Clinical Psychologist, registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and a Chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS).
I have worked for the NHS since 1999 as a qualified Clinical Psychologist, within a North London specialist service for people with severe mental health difficulties. I have gained a wealth of experience working with the complex needs of service users, from the ages of 19 years to their early 60s, in a wide range of care settings. Forming a trusting relationship with individuals who have experienced trauma in their early life is paramount and a particular skill I have as a therapist.
I can communicate fluently in Punjabi and well in Hindi.
About My Work
A significant number of the people I have worked with have been people (often men) who struggled to seek help for mental distress such that their difficulties escalated further. In my private practise I am committed to working with people such that this is less likely to happen. From the provision of a thorough psychological assessment (using psychometric tests as required) I provide a shared understanding of the individual’s difficulties (formulation) and therapy to address the goals of therapy. I use a range of therapeutic models including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Systemic Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Mindfulness based therapy, Psychodynamic approaches and Behavioural Therapy. I tailor the approach to each individual’s specific needs.
My Interests and Areas of Expertise include:
- All Mental Health difficulties including anxiety, depression, fears/phobias, obsessions, low self-esteem, childhood or more recent trauma, substance abuse, difficulties related to regulating mood (be this related to anger or lows/highs), work-related stress, bereavements and more complex mental health difficulties (such as psychosis).
- Relapse prevention work such that once recovery from a mental illness (or addictive behaviour) has occurred, the risk of re-experiencing an episode is reduced.
- Family/Couples work – focusing upon the provision of psycho-educational materials (e.g. about the illness) and facilitating communication (e.g. sharing relapse prevention plans) between family members effected by mental illness.
- On an organisational level, providing a support group, or a reflective space to think about the impact of work/organisational issues on people’s well-being, with the aim of reducing burn-out in the work context.
What I offer
You may be asking yourself why seeing a Clinical Psychologist may be the best way forward for you. I believe that we are highly skilled and trained professionals who are able to work with a full spectrum of psychological difficulties, ranging from the very common (such as anxiety and depression) to the less common (psychosis). There is extensive evidence that psychological therapies are beneficial for mental health difficulties. Clinical psychology aims to reduce psychological distress and to enhance the promotion of psychological well-being, via the use of evidence based psychological approaches.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications & Training:
- Diploma in Forensic Psychotherapeutic Studies from the Portman Clinic (2005)
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsych) - University of East London (1999)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology – Goldsmiths College, University of London (1994)
- Practitioner Psychologist with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol) with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Emotional abuse
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Fees are available on request if you do not have insurance cover.
I have an enhanced DBS clearance and Professional Indemnity Insurance.
Following treatment, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Punjabi and Hindi|
Types of client