Anne McKay, Chartered Clinical Psychologist in Psychotherapy, DIT therapist
I am an senior clinical psychologist in the Brixton/ Tulse Hill area. I have years of experience helping people with anxiety and depression, and have a deep understanding of the unique experiences which can contribute to emotional stress. My particular specialism is working with issues related to parenting, particularly with first time parents.
What I offer:
- Assessment consultation: 1-2 meetings to think about your difficulties and to think about what treatment would be most helpful. These meetings may be longer than 60 minutes
- Clinical Psychology: short interventions for anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, work stress, and anxiety in relationships
- Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy: a 16 session model to improve depression and anxiety symptoms where there is a clear link with the symptoms and feeling anxious about relationships. The focus is understanding and improving current relationships with family, friends and colleagues (see link: http://www.d-i-t.org/)
- Psychodynamic therapy: an open-ended therapy allowing for exploration of interpersonal issues. This can be helpful when other therapies have failed to address the core dynamics of longer-term or recurrent depression and anxiety - see link (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-shrink-tank/201002/let-the-evidence-show-psychodynamic-therapy-provides-effective-and)
- A Mentalisation- Based Therapy intervention for people experiencing difficulties with strong feelings in relationships (family or work), including anger management and eating disorders. The sessions help with understanding emotions and working out how to manage them when feeling under stress. (see link: https://tavistockandportman.nhs.uk/care-and-treatment/treatments/mentalisation-based-therapy/)
I have specialist experience working with perinatal mental health and parenting issues. Wanting to have a baby and having a baby can be an exciting and hopeful time, but can also raise anxieties which people find it hard to talk about as they feel they have to be positive and 'be perfect'. I offer women and men a space to talk about:
- worries about fertility, or about undergoing fertility treatment
- bereavement following miscarriage and stillbirth
- anxiety and depression in pregnancy, and post-natal depression
- couple work to prepare for parenthood
- Separation and Divorce - thinking about the children for parents who are separating or thinking of separating to think about how to work together in a stressful time
I very much like to work with first time mothers and fathers, as thinking together about bonding, communicating with your baby, managing sleep problems, and exhaustion can be very supportive and give you confidence in negotiating this huge and exciting change in your life and relationships.
I offer supervision in Clinical and Counselling Psychology and Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist with the BPS.
Other qualifications include:
- Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (Anna Freud Centre, Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust)
- Masters in Consulting to Organisations (UEL, Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust)
- Diploma in Forensic Psychotherapy (UCL, Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust)
- Mentalisation Based Therapy for personality disorder - basic training (Anna Freud Centre)
I have worked in different settings in the NHS for 20 years, including in psychiatry and community mental health teams. I have offered short-term therapies in the community (GP surgeries and an IAPT service). For the past 13 years I have been working in perinatal and parental mental health in Children's Centres and Adult Psychology, and more recently, in the Maudsley Hospital outpatient perinatal psychotherapy service. I am a supervisor of clinical psychologists and trainee psychotherapists in psychodynamic psychotherapy.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
I offer a free initial meeting (either by phone or in person) to see if we would work well together.
I offer a sliding scale, depending on the frequency and type of therapy. Individual therapy fees range from £60 - £80 per session.
I offer a proportion of my sessions at a reduced fee for students, public sector workers and people who are not in a position to afford a full fee. If you contact me I can let you know when one will be available.
Once we have agreed a set of sessions, these will usually be at the same day and time each week, and will last 50 minutes. If you have any concerns about this, please discuss it with me at the initial meeting
My consulting room is near Brixton Underground station and Herne Hill and Tulse Hill stations. It is five minutes from bus routes connecting Peckham, Clapham, Streatham and West Norwood. There is fee-free parking on the street outside.
What to expect when you phone me: I will telephone you back as soon as possible in the evening and talk through what you want
What to expect in the initial meeting:
I will explain confidentiality, explore your symptoms, what is distressing you and get an overview of the buildup of your difficulties.
I will explain what therapy I think might be most useful and we will think together about what would work for you. If I think I am not able to offer you the most useful therapy for you, I will try to refer you to someone who can.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Early mornings and evenings, daytime on Wednesdays.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a senior clinical psychologist, qualified since 1993.View supervision profile