Anne Harrison BA PG Dip Psych Cou, MBACP(Acc)
7 Grove Square
0795 121 7559
I am a person-centred accredited counsellor, wishing to offer you a warm and confidential space to share any stresses and difficulties you may be experiencing at present. From my own personal experience, I know the importance of finding a safe, therapeutic place with a trusted person, where you feel valued and affirmed, and genuinely accepted, while exploring painful or difficult issues. I would be happy to offer you a space such as this, and to assure you of my deep belief in its healing potential.
- I trained for a Diploma in Counselling (1995), and deepened my training between 2010 and 2013 as a psychosynthesis counsellor (2013). I have experience of working with a wide range of issues, and have also trained to work specifically with trauma which may be trapped in the body (EFT).
- I am a registered accredited counsellor/therapist with BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- I have bases in Barnard Castle and Leyburn, which are both safe, comfortable and a confidential environments.
Why do I believe in counselling? I first trained in 1995, after periods of teaching, youth work, and social work, and after a period of counselling to help me with life adjustment in the early 1990's. I found it to be a good, even life-changing experience, where I felt valued and affirmed, and listened to at a deeper level I had not experienced previously. My deep desire is that you are able to find the same kind of holding and genuineness in the counselling you experience, which may release new potential in your life.
What should I bring to counselling? Bring anything which causes you difficulty at present - relationship problems, anger, bereavement, depression, anxiety, stress, phobias, sexual, physical or emotional abuse, domestic abuse, hurt from painful memories, confusion, trauma, or a struggle with habits and addictions which are difficult to change. You may also be struggling to just find a direction in life.
What kind of counselling do I do?
- I am an integrative person-centred counsellor, doing both short and long term counselling or therapy. I trained in psychosynthesis as a framework to help my clients integrate their dreams and longings, which sometimes emerge out of crisis times.
- Within this framework, I help you to express and discover your needs through simply talking and being listened to.. Where appropriate, I also use CBT, brief therapy,and creative tools such as drawing, sand-tray work and visualisation, and even body work if appropriate.
- I am also an advanced trained EFT practitioner, which involved a tapping method on the energy meridians of the body (face and upper body), to unblock trauma and release energy. This can be a tool for self-use and relaxation. I would use this with you if I felt it might help, and with your agreement in advance.
Some practical points
- I offer 50-60 minute session, and have 3 venues from which I offer counselling.
- Rooms are in quiet areas of Leyburn, Richmond and Darlington (If you live nearer to Richmond and Darlington, please see my other entry for these places on the Directory.)
- The sites are easily accessible from Wensleydale, Bedale, the A66, A1 and Teesside.
- There is free parking outside
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counselling experience in NHS primary care settings, a GP surgery, and young people in school based settings. I have worked with people with anxiety, stress, addiction, depression, suicidal thoughts, relationship difficulties, and those suffering the effects of abuse (present and past) and trauma.
- Experience as a bereavement counsellor in a hospice, with adults with terminal illness, and chronic and long-term disabilities, and bereaved partners and relatives.
- Experience of counselling children between 4 and 18 with play and creative therapy, to help them adjust to the loss of a parent or sibling. I also have led training in bereavement and loss, and taught counselling skills to 16-18 yr olds as part of their Health and Social Care course.
- I have also worked for a number of years in a generic counselling service, and have believed in giving people the opportunity to explore questions of meaning, belief and spirituality. Questions such as "Where am I going? What gives my life meaning?", and also, "What gives me joy and fulfilment?" are signs of a desire to know more about what makes us "tick", and we don't have to belong to an expressed faith community to want to explore this.
- Diploma in Counselling (AEB 1995)
- Post-graduate Certificate in Psychosynthesis Counselling (2011)
- Post-graduate Diploma in Psychosynthesis Counselling (2013) (Both these qualifications are from the Psychosynthesis and Education Trust, London, validated by the University of East London).
- I am an advanced certified practitioner of EFT (level 3) and registered with AAMET.
- I am a registered accredited member of BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- I am an accredited member of ACC (Association of Christian Counsellors)
- I also hold a BA (Hons) degree in English (Liverpool), PGCE, Diploma in Social Work, and PG Diploma in Theology.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Sessions are currently £40 per hour.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about any of the above, particularly about psychosynthesis, please access my website,
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|