Alex Sanderson-Shortt MA, MBACP (Accred)
79 Carlton Road
I am a fully qualified Relate counsellor who works with couples and individuals in Cheshire and Manchester. There are times when we are sad, angry or just confused about exactly what we feel and think. As an experienced counsellor, I can work with you to help you understand and change these feelings.
Working in partnership
Counselling works best when there is a strong partnership between the counsellor and the client(s). I draw from a wide range of theories and techniques, but it is through building a strong relationship that I have seen the greatest success. I believe absolutely that you are the expert in your life and that you have the skills and resources you need to deal with whatever life throws at you. What I offer you, is help to access these resources and a safe space in which to explore difficult emotions and experiences as you find new ways of understanding and relating to them.
- I have a particular interest in couples counselling and have worked very successfully on relationship issues such as; affairs and betrayals, depression and anxiety, separation and divorce, alcohol abuse, psychosexual therapy and general communication problems - amongst others!
- I have a great deal of experience working with individuals on issues such as; depression and anxiety, sexuality, addictions, bereavement, low self-esteem, internet addiction and careers and work place issues.
- I am a gay man, trained in and have experience of working with lesbian and gay clients, individually and in relationships. I am also trained to work with transgender clients.
- I work extensively where there are issues with sexual functioning, including working with kink and BDSM. I have a "sex - positive" approach which means I approach sexual work in a positive and non-shaming way.
My career in counselling
My interest in counselling began nearly 20 years ago, after being a user of a counselling service and seeing the benefits it brought to my family. I started my training in 1995, and used my skills in a role as a workplace counsellor. Since then I have gone on to do more training and qualifications, having now completed my MA in Relationship Therapy. I have worked for Relate as well as my private practice, working from home in Northwich. My experiences as both a client of counselling services and my range of roles as a counsellor give me a unique perspective. This range of experience means I am not bound to one theory or model of working and can adapt to meet your needs and work in a way that you find comfortable and effective.
I adhere to the ethical guidelines of both the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy and the Association for Family Therapy and am a member of both organisations.
Training, qualifications & experience
Intermediate Counselling Skills
Post Graduate Certificate Relationship Therapy with Gender and Sexually Diverse Clients
MA (distinction) in Relationship Therapy
University Advanced Diploma - Relationship Therapy
Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Skills
I am a fully qualified Relate counsellor
Working with Domestic Violence and Abuse
Working with Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse
Working with Lesbians and Gay Men
Dealing with Affairs
Mindful Sex Therapy
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
LGBT specific issues
Gay and lesbian couples counselling
LGBT individual counselling
Trans* clients and families
Polyamory and open relationships
Free initial consultation of 30 - 45 minutes
£45 per hour for ongoing work
I work from home in a dedicated counselling room.
Appointments are available in the evenings to suit your schedule
Counselling by Skype is available
I can't always get to the phone, so please leave a message and I'll get back to you!
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytimes, evenings and Saturday mornings
Types of client