Bernadette Wright BACP (Accred)
01892 546773 / 07746679301
Hi & welcome to my profile. I work as a BACP (Accred) Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Qualified Clinical Supervisor. I work as an integrative therapist, which means that I use different approaches directly tailored to suit the requirements of my clients and yet mainly draw from Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy , Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy all of which I have training in.
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy in particular is excellent for dealing with Eating Disorders and Personality Disorders which are my particular areas of expertise.
I qualified in 2005 as a General Practitioner and very quickly recognised a common denominator between the majority of my clients, low self-esteem, poor body image and problems with assertiveness (they tended to use anger as a way of communicating or were easily intimidated and/or bent against their will) and limited resources regarding self efficacy. So many of my clients were presenting in this way, with self-loathing and a limited ability to be kind to themselves. Furthermore, I was working with a lot of clients who were clinically obese or indeed painfully skinny and I learnt very quickly that even the ones presenting with normal body weight were often abusing themselves by self-harming and substance abuse, poor diet, often coupled with difficult and challenging relationships with themselves and others, and were clearly using food to self-medicate, either by overeating or indeed under-eating or using other kinds of mind altering substances.
When considering all of the above I strongly felt that I needed to embark on further training and in 2007 I trained as a Master Practitioner in Eating Disorders and Obesity at The National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCFED). I am now a Registered Supervisor with the NCFED and attended (again third time) last year’s training course as an assistant to Deanne Jade, Principal and Founder of the NCFED, in order to ensure my skills remain cutting edge.
I have a solid reputation of being a caring and approachable therapist with an ability to very quickly put my clients at ease and yet more importantly an ability to directly get to the heart of they're presenting issues and together get the job done, whilst supporting my clients to move into psychological health and in turn helping them to live the life they deserve to live. I am passionate about my work and love what I do and consider myself extremely lucky to be working in a job I have so much energy for.
I am recognised as one of The National Centre of Eating Disorders most experienced specialists in the world of Eating Disorders and indeed in Kent and I am currently running two courses related to this field of work;
1) "Take the food, weight & shape off your mind'" (for the general public starting again on September 13th 2017 (although I have had therapists on my courses with much success ) details on my website.
2) Working With Eating Disorders Ethically and With Competence (for professionals working in this world and who would like to be able to support clients presenting with distressed eating issues, starting on November 4th 2017 and account for CPD hours) details on my Website.
Training, qualifications & experience
2017 Currently completing further training in Group Psychotherapy.
2017 March 2017 Awarded a Diploma in DBT Therapy distinction.
2017 Helping as an assistant throughout this year at The National Centre of Eating Disorders on their Master Practitioner of Eating Disorders Course due to the fact that changes in this work happen so rapidly I was keen to ensure I am up to date.
2015 Completed a years training in Identity-Orientated Psycho Trauma Therapy IoPT( The psycho-trauma work of Prof Franz Ruppert) this was the first training in London ever, I am now involved in this work and will be continuing further training in this field at some stage in the future when my timetable permits.
2009 Awarded the status of BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist
2008 Master Practitioner in Eating Disorders and Obesity
2008 Advanced Practitioner Emotional Freedom Techniques
2008 Diploma Cognitive Behaviour Therapy CBT
2007 Advanced Diploma Eating Disorders & Nutritional Skills for Eating Disorders
2006 Diploma In Clinical Supervision (Supervision of Counsellors and Allied professionals)
2005 Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Counselling BACP (Accredited Course)
I take my Continuing Personal Therapy seriously and I have also trained in
Couples Counselling (1year training)
Schema Therapy Training
TA 101 Training
I trained as a Link Adoption Counsellor 2010 (1years training) and I am experienced in working in this field.
I Trained with Dr Julia Buckroyd 2009 in her revolutionary as shown as on The BBC1 "Understanding You're Eating Programme".
I trained in 2002-2005 and did my Clinical Placement with The YMCA in Tunbridge Wells (who I am still very much involved with to this day) working with the vulnerable young residents in they're housing scheme who had been homeless or in need and I was offered work with them after my training which I did until I set up privately.
I also did my clinical placement in Sevenoaks Family Support Centre and again after completing my training was offered work with them and set up a counselling service with them which I run successfully for three years before embarking as an independent private practitioner.
I have had a thriving practise for many years now and as such I have worked with hundred of clients presenting with all sorts of issues and dilemmas within their lives and yet I still remain as enthusiastic and motivated as I was on my first day of clinical practise back in in September 2004.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have extensive experience in experience in supporting families whose loved ones are struggling with learning issues such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, speech and language problems.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
Photos & videos
I have a policy of providing counselling which is generally offered on a weekly or intensive basis.
*PLEASE GO TO MY WEBSITE FOR A COMPREHENSIVE OUTLINE OF MY FEES *.
If you are struggling with an Eating Disorder/ Obesity/Distressed Eating, or if you are a Carer or worried about a loved one, please contact me regardless of my fees if you are struggling financially, as I do have a policy of offering low cost /no cost and always offer subsidised/free places to people on my courses, if they are unable to finance the fees.
Equally if you are a therapist or student in training the same rules apply for my professional courses (if finance is an issue) as my mission is to train as many professional in this underfunded field as possible.
*Please note telephone support is immediately available and then you will new put on a waiting list for one to one support*.
Upcoming Courses Starting Again Wednesday 13th September 2017
“TAKE THE FOOD, WEIGHT & SHAPE OFF YOUR MIND”,
Change your life forever, dieting doesn’t work, therefore, make changes that will make you happy, ‘diet no more and gain the piece of mind you have always yearned for and learn the tools needed to keep it that way’.
I promise I will not weigh you and clap along with everyone else if you have lost weight and I will guide you appropriately if gaining weight is fearful for you. I will not suggest a food replacement liquid diet or detoxing on the latest fad to hit the papers, and yet if you invest in time with me you can permanently change your relationship with food and your mindset!
STARTING ON WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13TH 2017,
CHRIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET, TUNBRIDGE WELLS,
RUNNING ONCE A WEEK, FOR 6 WEEKS
Join my courses and learn exactly what the National Centre of Eating Disorders has taught me, that you can live your life differently and be happy with both your size & shape and gain health both physically and mentally as a bonus!
Over a six-week course I will;
- Enlighten you about the nature of your problem, the effects of dieting, the ways in which the body controls appetite / weight and other matters relating to nutrition.
- You will learn psychotherapeutically why you behave as you do with food and other mind altering substances.
- I will teach you how to recognize the emotions concealed beneath food cravings, and how to deal with them as they arise.
- I will support you to change your mindset and in turn change your life and your health.
- This course will help you to reduce stress/anxiety effectively and to enhance your sense of control over food/thoughts and over life in general and undo the part of the problem which has become a habit.
- As part of the course both self-esteem, body image and assertiveness issues will be addressed and wound seamlessly into the course.
- Guide you back into viewing food in its proper context and as an enjoyable way of keeping you alive and well.
- Finally, I will help you come to see food as a friend, something to enjoy and savor as nourishment for both your body and soul.
This popular and successful course will run for 6 weeks and the investment will be £150.
Please contact me with any questions you might have on www.healing-minds.co.uk 01892-546773/07746679301.
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING FOR EATING DISORDERS AND OBESITY
2 DAYS WORKSHOP STARTING ON SATURDAY 4TH & SATURDAY 11TH OF NOVEMBER 2017
HOW TO WORK ETHICALLY & COMPETENTLY WITH EATING DISORDERS AND OBESITY.
HELD AT CHRIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET, TUNBRIDGE WELLS
PLEASE ARRIVE AT 9.00PM ON BOTH SATURDAYS
This course is extremely valuable for any professionals working with people who suffer in this way, it is based on my training with Deanne Jade from The National Centre of Eating Disorders with whom I trained with in 2008, I have however been working as therapist since 2004;
- Broaden your skills base and learn how you can work competently and ethically with Eating Disorders and Obesity,
- How to recognize an eating disorder and support recovery,
- Have a deeper understanding of Eating Disorders,
- Add to your toolbox as a therapist, coach or teacher in any professional setting,
- Transform your own relationship with food, weight and shape.
This two-day work shop will be cost £160 and will include course guide lines and other relevant paperwork.
Course outline to follow shortly.
PLEASE CONTACT BERNIE WRIGHT at www.healing-minds.co.uk or ring me on 01892-546773/07746679301.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Saturday 8am onwards.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I work as a trained Clinical Supervisor and as such, specialise in Eating Disorders and Eating Distress.View supervision profile