Bernadette Wright BACP (Accred)
29 Richmond Place
01892 546773 / 07746679301
I work as a BACP (Accred) Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Qualified Clinical Supervisor. I work as an integrative therapist, which means that I use different approaches directly tailored to suit the requirements of my clients and yet mainly draw from Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy , Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy all of which I have training in.
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy in particular is excellent for dealing with Eating Disorders and Personality Disorders which are my particular areas of expertise.
I qualified in 2005 as a General Practitioner and very quickly recognised a common denominator between the majority of my clients, low self-esteem, poor body image and problems with assertiveness (they tended to use anger as a way of communicating or were easily intimidated and/or bent against their will) and limited resources regarding self efficacy. So many of my clients were presenting in this way, with self-loathing and a limited ability to be kind to themselves. Furthermore, I was working with a lot of clients who were clinically obese or indeed painfully skinny and I learnt very quickly that even the ones presenting with normal body weight were often abusing themselves by self-harming and substance abuse, poor diet, often coupled with difficult and challenging relationships with themselves and others, and were clearly using food to self-medicate, either by overeating or indeed under-eating or using other kinds of mind altering substances.
When considering all of the above I strongly felt that I needed to embark on further training and in 2007 I trained as a Master Practitioner in Eating Disorders and Obesity at The National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCFED). I am now a Registered Supervisor with the NCFED and attended (again third time) last year’s training course as an assistant to Deanne Jade, Principal and Founder of the NCFED, in order to ensure my skills remain cutting edge.
I have a solid reputation of being a caring and approachable therapist with an ability to very quickly put my clients at ease and yet more importantly an ability to directly get to the heart of they're presenting issues and together get the job done, whilst supporting my clients to move into psychological health and in turn helping them to live the life they deserve to live. I am passionate about my work and love what I do and consider myself extremely lucky to be working in a job I have so much energy for.
I am recognised as one of The National Centre of Eating Disorders most experienced specialists in the world of Eating Disorders and indeed in Kent and I am currently running two courses related to this field of work;
1) "Take The Weight Off Your Mind," (for the general public starting again in September although I have had therapists on my courses with much success ) details on my website.
2) Working With Eating Disorders Ethically and With Competence (for professionals working in this world and who would like to be able to support clients presenting with distressed eating issues, courses in November and account for CPD hours) details on my Website.
Training, qualifications & experience
2017 March 2017 Awarded a Diploma in DBT Therapy with a distinction.
Currently doing further training in Group Psychotherapy.
2016 Helped as an assistant throughout this year at The National Centre of Eating Disorders on their Master Practitioner of Eating Disorders Course due to the fact that changes in this work happen so rapidly I was keen to ensure I am up to date.
2015 Completed a years training in Identity-Orientated Psyco trauma Therapy IoPT( The psycho-trauma work of Prof Franz Ruppert) this was the first training in London ever, I am now involved in this work and will be continuing further training in this field at some stage in the future when my timetable permits.
2009 Awarded the status of BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist
2008 Master Practitioner in Eating Disorders and Obesity
2008 Advanced Practitioner Emotional Freedom Techniques
2008 Diploma Cognitive Behaviour Therapy CBT
2007 Advanced Diploma Eating Disorders & Nutritional Skills for Eating Disorders
2006 Diploma In Clinical Supervision (Supervision of Counsellors and Allied professionals)
2005 Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Counselling BACP (Accredited Course)
I take my Continuing Personal Therapy seriously and I have also trained in
Couples Counselling (1year training)
Schema Therapy Training
TA 101 Training
I trained as a Link Adoption Counsellor 2010 (1years training) and I am experienced in working in this field.
I Trained with Dr Julia Buckroyd 2009 in her revolutionary as shown as on The BBC1 "Understanding You're Eating Programme".
I trained in 2002-2005 and did my Clinical Placement with The YMCA in Tunbridge Wells (who I am still very much involved with to this day) working with the vulnerable young residents in they're housing scheme who had been homeless or in need and I was offered work with them after my training which I did until I set up privately.
I also did my clinical placement in Sevenoaks Family Support Centre and again after completing my training was offered work with them and set up a counselling service with them which I run successfully for three years before embarking as an independent private practitioner.
I have had a thriving practise for many years now and as such I have worked with hundred of clients presenting with all sorts of issues and dilemmas within their lives and yet I still remain as enthusiastic and motivated as I was on my first day of clinical practise back in in September 2004.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I extensive experience in experience in supporting families whose loved ones are struggling with learning issues such as dyslexia and dyspraxia.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
I have a policy of providingcounselling which is generally offered on a weekly or intensive basis, due to my training commitments I am now unable to offer long term therapy.
*PLEASE GO TO MY WEBSITE FOR A COMPREHENSIVE OUTLINE OF MY FEES *.
If you are struggling with an Eating Disorder/ Obesity/Distressed Eating, or if you are a Carer or worried about a loved one, please contact me regardless of my fees if you are struggling financially, as I do have a policy of offering low cost no cost and always offer subsidised/free places to people on my courses.
Equally if you are a therapist or student in training the same rules apply for my professional courses (if finance is an issue) as my mission is to train as many professional in this underfunded field as possible.
*Please note telephone support is immediately available and then you will new put on a waiting list for one to one support*.
Upcoming Courses Starting Again September 2017
TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF YOUR MINDS
Change your life forever, dieting doesn’t work, therefore, make changes that will make you happy ‘diet no more and gain the body you have always wanted!’
Join my course and learn exactly what the National Centre of Eating Disorders has taught me, that you can live your life differently and be happy with both your size and shape. Over a six-week course I will;
- Enlighten you about the nature of your problem, the effects of dieting, the ways in which the body controls appetite and weight, and other matters relating to nutrition.
- You will learn psychotherapeutically why you behave as you do with food and other mind altering substances.
- I will teach you how to recognize the emotions concealed beneath food cravings, and how to deal with them without turning to food.
- I will support you to change your mindset and in turn change your life.
- This course will help you to reduce stress effectively and to enhance your sense of control over food and over life in general and undo that part of the problem which has become a habit.
- Guide your eating experience back into its proper perspective and as an enjoyable way of keeping you alive and well.
- Finally, I will help you come to see food as a friend, something to enjoy.
This very popular and successful course will run for 6 consecutive weeks and the investment will be £150.
Please contact me with any questions you might have on 01892-546773
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING FOR EATING DISORDERS AND OBESITY
2 DAY WORKSHOPS STARTING SEPTEMBER 2017.
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING COURSES IN EATING DISORDERS AND OBESITY
This course is extremely valuable for any professionals working with people who suffer in this way, it is based on my training with Deanne Jade from The National Centre of Eating Disorders with whom I trained with in 2008, I have however been a therapist since 2004;
- Broaden your skill base and learn how you can work competently and ethically with Eating Disorders and Obesity
- How to recognise when an eating disorders is present
- Have a deeper understanding of Eating Disorders
- Add to your ability as a therapist, coach or teacher in any professional setting
- Transform your own relationship with food.
The two day courses will cost £160
Details on my website.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Friday 8am - 7pm and I offer occasional one off weekend sessions which are always available by arrangement.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I work as a trained Clincal Supervisor and as such, specialise in Eating Disorders and Eating Distress.View supervision profile