Phil Clarkstone, MSc. PG Dip. MBACP - Counselling South London
07876 343 669 / 07876 343 669
There is nothing that cannot be changed. With 16 years experience, my long-established practice is founded on effective but gentle therapy. The space here is really pleasant, you will feel safe, we are readily accessible from across south east London.
Hugely experienced and highly qualified, the workers at Counselling South London are counsellors and also supervisors. With a combined 25 years experience in counselling and psychotherapy, as well as 20 years as group and individual supervisors, Phil Clarkstone and Jane Sturtridge will be able to help you.
For about the last sixteen years, I have worked alongside many, many men and women who have become troubled in their lives. Whilst I do have a comprehensive technical understanding of psychotherapy, my belief is that people are transformed by the presence of a person who does not hide behind a wall of knowledge. Above all, I believe that clients do best with therapists who are first and foremost sincere, kind, and genuinely engaged in the human aspects of their client's recovery - not simply reeling out prescriptive solutions. I offer this to my clients - and I know it works.
I have seen first-hand how counselling, can really transform seemingly impossible emotional and practical situations into something manageable. I bring not only a vast experience as a psychotherapist, but also a knowledge borne out of my experience as a client, in years past.
I have worked as a service manager to a mental health charity since 2004, as well as being a supervisor and trainer to other counsellors since 2002. I have a wide network of very experienced colleagues - if you have any queries, do call for a brief chat.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have Accredited Register status with BACP.
The Studying Bit:
MSc Degree in Therapeutic Counselling 2003
Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling 2000
Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Skills 1999
MSc Degree in the Sociology of Health 1997
Cruse Supervision 2002
Cruse Awareness in Bereavement Care 1999
BA/Hons Sociology 1993
I have undertaken many, many training sessions and courses since 1998, as well as my formal studies connected to degree work. Far too many to mention.
- I gained a counselling diploma in 2000 having studied and worked in placements in the previous two years
- I worked within a staff counselling team, on placement, within a London university, until 2003.
- I have worked in private practice since 2002.
- I continue to work as Counselling Services Manager for the Greenwich area of a highly regarded, NHS supported, counselling service in the voluntary sector. I've been in post since 2004.
- I am an experienced group supervisor and trainer, with experience as a counselling group facilitator.
- I am an experienced telephone counsellor - working with Work Stress Management for some years.
Some other things:
- I have served on the Greenwich Council Emergency Planning and Liaison Group from 2005 to 2010, and also of the Greenwich Safeguarding Children Child Death Overview Panel until 2014.
- In 2007, I worked with Prof Colin Murray-Parkes to deliver a conference on Love and Loss at the University of Greenwich
- I am a contributor to the international academic journal Bereavement Care in Practice
- In 2015, among other projects, I devised "Into The Forest of Loss", a creative visualization using walking, poetry and prose, to facilitate and support healthy grief.
- My projects in 2016 include developing therapeutic work in a prison setting, evolving therapeutic walking to support people with mental health difficulties, and those experiencing loss.
- I am the Team Leader for the development of an all-abilities volunteer cycling project to enable people with profound disabilities, physical impairment, and learning disabilities, to participate in an ordinary cycling club.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a special interest in the following topics:
Photos & videos
All sessions cost £50. A concessionary rate may be negotiable in special circumstances.
Please contact me on 07876 343669 to discuss your needs.
The rooms at Counselling South London are used exclusively by me and my colleague, Jane Sturtridge. The consulting rooms are calm and secluded, and designed for the purpose of encouraging a sense of retreat and calm. They are sited in a quiet residential area of Eltham.
Jane Sturtridge is my direct colleague. She is a highly experienced counsellor and I have no hesitation in recommending her: read more about her on our website (link on this page) or by looking at her entry on Counselling Directory.
I do not work with couples - although I do work with individuals who are in couple counselling elsewhere.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available from 8am to 9pm on weekdays.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I trained as a supervisor in 2002.View supervision profile