Bill Brind Dip.Human Sexuality., Reg.MBACP., COSRT(Accredited)
07818 040542 (24-hour confidential voice mail available - only I listen to any messages)
My therapeutic approach is behavioural, integrative and/or psychodynamic - depending on the concern being explored and the approach that you feel best suits your needs and that you feel comfortable working with. I offer short or long term therapy for clients aged 17 years and over, male and female, individuals and couples regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
Prior to undertaking my psychosexual psychotherapy training, my core professional background was in mental health and general nursing where I worked in various mental health and general nursing settings.
I have extensive experience working with couples and individuals with sexual problems (with concurrent mental health problems and also couples and individuals without mental health problems).
I have extensive clinical experience spanning over 27 years in the following areas:
- male & female psychosexual disorders; erectile problems, ejaculation problems, vaginismus,
- anorgasmia, absent/lowered libido/sex drive, painful intercourse, sexual aversion/phobias
- sexual orientation and gender identity confusions or concerns (transgender)
- sexual addiction (Internet, pornography, telephone sex, sex workers, other sexual behaviours)
- sexual variant behaviours; sexual offending, exhibitionism, fetishistic behaviours, and
- intrusive/disturbing thoughts/fantasies
I understand how difficult it can be having even an initial appointment with a therapist, let alone engaging in regular therapy sessions. The unknown can be scary. But you are not alone - therapy involves the therapist and client working together in a safe and trusting, non-judgemental working relationship.
A large part of the work is you and I working together, to gain some understanding and to make sense of your feelings:
- your emotional pain
- fantasies and behaviours etc that are troubling you and getting in your way.
I continue my private practice in a comfortable consulting room in Manningtree, Essex (within walking distance of Manningtree rail station and the town centre). I accept self referrals and referrals from other agencies such as GP's, Community Mental Health Teams, Social Care Services, Probation Service, Solicitors and Employee Assistance Programmes.
There is wheelchair access to my consulting room. Free parking. Cafe on site.
It is not always easy to seek counselling or therapy for personal problems of any sort but seeking help for such private and intimate concerns or difficulties to do with sex, sexuality and personal relationships can be even more daunting and anxiety provoking.
If you are reading my profile and other therapy websites, there is probably something inside you saying "enough is enough" and you are wanting to address and explore what is concerning you (and if you are in a relationship, possibly concerning your partner too) so that you can move on and start feeling more secure, content and fulfilled with your life.
Even just thinking about addressing such concerns can raise anxieties and other feelings too.
We are only human and humans can be very complex, so it is not surprising some people 'hide' and mask such pain for as long as they can.
Some people spend weeks, months, even years thinking about seeking help. Others 'bite the bullet' and refer themselves to a therapist or visit their General Practitioner in the first instance.
You may have undertaken personal therapy in the past or this may be your first time.
Training, qualifications & experience
~ Diploma in Human Sexuality (St George's Hospital Med School, Univ. Lond) (1990)
~ Certificate in Counselling (Colchester Institute)
~ RMN (U.K. Registered Nurse in Mental Health) (1979)
~ SEN(G) (U.K. Enrolled General Nurse) (1981)
~ Certificate in Care & Management of Persons with AIDS and HIV (and related conditions)
~ Certificate for Maternal & Child Welfare
~ I have undertaken various professional courses in sexual variant behaviours, sexual offending,
psychodynamics of human development and forensic psychotherapeutic studies.
~ I attend regular courses and workshops in order to up date and maintain my Continuing Professional Development.
On graduating from my psychosexual training, I worked full time as a lead psychosexual psychotherapist in the NHS (adult mental health) for 19 years where I worked with people experiencing mental health problems in addition to having sexual problems. I retired from the NHS in November 2012.
I supervise students undertaking psychosexual therapy training.
I am a member and adhere to the Professional Codes of Practice and Ethics of the following professional membership organisations:
- COSRT (Accredited) (College Of Sexual & Relationship Therapists)
- BACP (Registered Member with the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- APP (Associate Member with Association for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in the NHS)
- ATSAC (Association for the Treatment of Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Sexual variant (or different) behaviours including:
- Working with men who seek men or have anonymous sex with men in Public Sex Environments (PSE) - 'cottaging' (visiting public toilets to meet/see other men) or 'cruising (visiting public areas, parks, fields etc, to meet/see other men) and who are unhappy or distressed with their behaviour
- Sexual offending
- Intrusive/disturbing sexualised thoughts/fantasies
- Obsessive thinking/ruminating thoughts of a sexual nature
£55 per hourly session (individual or couples)
If you are unsure as to whether my professional therapy service is for you or if you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact me on my mobile number 07818 040542 (24-hour confidential voice mail is available - only I listen to any messages) when we can discuss further. If I am unable to take your call personally, you may wish to leave me your name and a contact number and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Wednesday's from 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|