Heather Bagshaw MBACP Registered, UKCP Accredited
0178 727 8762 / 0788 903 8614
I'm Heather, an experienced, fully qualified counsellor, psychotherapist and supervisor now living on the Essex Suffolk borders. Before coming to Suffolk in July 2014, I was in Sheffield, South Yorkshire where I had a vibrant private practice alongside term time work at Sheffield Hallam University.
I have over 15 years experience covering a wide range of life issues such as -
- eating disorders,
- gender and sexual identity issues,
- self esteem,
- sexual abuse
Alongside my private practice I've worked with bereaved clients at Cruse Bereavement Care, with students and staff at Sheffield Hallam University and people suffering with eating disorders at South Yorkshire Eating Disorder Association. I have also specialist interest and experience working with people suffering with gender identity related issues and people suffering with pervasive unwanted thoughts and traumatic dreams.
How can I help?
I offer what I feel is important in a counselling relationship; a safe empathic, supportive environment where people can explore and sometimes challenge their feelings, behaviours, beliefs and /or values. As we understand more about ourselves, we start to find solutions to what otherwise can seem like difficult or even impossible situations and issues.
I practice with the empathy and compassion that many people don't always feel toward themselves, even though they may offer this same warmth and caring to others. Having had a business background I work within a structured framework to support and hold effective therapeutic work. My rooms offer a comfortable and professional space in which to work. I have weekday, evening and sometimes weekend appointments.
My clients sometimes come to me experiencing unhelpful and damaging patterns repeating in their lives. They may have traumatic memories and dreams that overwhelm them. Some clients have lost their way and become stuck. All of these are regular situations where I have been able to help.
I initially trained and worked face to face with clients and later trained further to develop telephone and online (Skype, FaceTime, email & MSN) working in addition to regular face to face work.
I offer a flexible approach to my working and am happy to discuss fortnightly and/or brief short term interventions.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Supervision Diploma (2009 - Sherwood Psychotherapy Training Institute)
- Master of Arts in Humanistic Psychotherapy (2003 - Derby University)
- Diploma in Person Centred Counselling (2000 - Sherwood Psychotherapy Training Institute)
- Certificate in Online Counselling Skills (2011 - Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body)
- Accredited Member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling Practitioners (BACP)
- Working with Traumatic Nightmares
- Honour Based Violence
- Online Working
Counselling, Psychotherapy, Supervision and Training Design and Delivery at:
- Private Practice (10 years full time)
- Sheffield Hallam University (7 years)
- Cruse Bereavement Care (5 years)
- South Yorkshire Eating Disorders Association (4 years)
- Work with Employee Assistance Programmes (10 years)
- Work with Gender Dysphormic clients
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also have coaching qualifications and experience which can be really helpful when working with clients where their issues are impacting their work life balance and performance.
Additionally, I have had positive outcomes working with people with pervasive unwanted thoughts and traumatic nightmares.
Photos & videos
I offer a free, no obligation, brief introductory session for us to see how we might work together.
If you then decide you would like to work with me, my fees are £48 per 50 minute session in line with regular professional practices.
I also offer supervision to colleagues in the profession. Please contact me directly for further details.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work evenings and some Saturday mornings in addition to offering day time appointments. Please give me a ring to see when we could work together.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I'm Heather, I offer supervision for fellow practitioners and students/trainees.View supervision profile