Victoria Nelson BSc (Hons), MBACP
I offer a free initial consultation
Therapy is a process of learning how to derive the maximum benefit from everyday living, especially in difficult circumstances. This does not mean to deny the reality of our struggles but instead to learn how to embrace life fully and deal with the obstacles in a responsible and creative way.
I use a variety of therapeutic methods depending on what presenting issues are displayed. These are Transactional Analysis, CBT, Mindfulness and Compassion focused therapy.
I understand that the relationship between the therapist and client (you) is of the utmost importance, so it is important to make sure that we are the right match.
I have years of experience for both individuals and for couples looking for solutions to:
- Relationship difficulties and divorce; bereavement, grief and loss
- Anger management; depression, anxiety and panic attacks
- Abuse (sexual, emotional, physical and mental)
- Trauma and stress; low self-esteem; addictions and eating disorders
- Mid-life crisis; spiritual difficulties; redundancy
- Sense of not belonging and alienation or living across cultures; Identity
- Sex, Sexuality and gender
Everyone is unique and needs to be understood in their own context.
An Individual analysis is a process of exploration and discovery. Here you will be the focus and together we will find out how to provide you with a safe and inspiring space. A therapeutic space is a fertile ground in which to grow a new and refreshed perspective of the full range of your possibilities. The benefits of developing a friendly and fluid relationship with yourself are innumerable. Learning how to kindly put all the pieces of your puzzle back together naturally bring about changes leading to loving and accepting every aspect of your life.
Individual Therapy can:
·Help you regain the courage to respond to the challenges that life places in your path.
·Show you how to observe what you bring into your personal and professional relationships and explore better options to respond to them.
·Enable you to stop reading from the scripts written by others and begin to compose your own lines.
·Give you the inspiration to remember who you are, what you actually want, and what choices you need to make.
·Teach you how to embrace the whole range of experiences that life has for you without losing your balance.
When communication fails and conflict prevails professional help can make a difference.
A couple is a fragile and profoundly meaningful organism as complex and paradoxical as the most mysterious riddle. In a relationship nobody wins if anyone is losing. There are no rights or wrongs but two separate perspectives co-existing and co-creating one another all the time. Each party’s role is constantly being moulded by the assumptions and beliefs of the other. Additionally, social, cultural, biological and spiritual influences present the two people in love with even more perspectives to juggle.
Particular dynamics of relation in a couple are manifesting hidden narratives, which in turn contribute to shaping the interpersonal experience. The system or the constellation that gives the context to a couple influences individual fears and hopes. When the story of a couple becomes cause of pain, the story needs to be re-told. Nothing feels worse than the frustration, anger and disappointment of needing love and getting pain. The aim of couple therapy is to illuminate all and every one of these influences so that a negative narrative can be reviewed and communication improved.
I am BSL (British Sign Language) trained and understand deaf culture for deaf or hard of hearing clients. Deaf-counselling for Deaf clients in Surrey and London.
SKYPE AND FACE TIME
Skype or Face-time appointments are available for people with constrained timetables. This approach is suitable for frequent travellers, people with prolonged working hours in highly demanding jobs and for those who live far from London & Surrey or even abroad.
If you are looking for a counsellor or therapist in Walton on Thames, Weybridge, Esher, Claygate, Shepperton, or Hersham, send me an email.
My private practice is based in Hersham, Walton-on-Thames In Surrey. My consulting room is in a garden office at my home, with its own private entrance. It is set in a quiet garden and there is plenty of free parking in the area.
I live approx 10 min walk from Hersham Train station with regular direct train links to Waterloo and Clapham Junction.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have extensive counselling experience in loss and addictions (Drug, Alcohol, Sex, Food, Gambling) support agencies (ASCA), in schools and colleges with children & young adults and counselling agencies in SW London.
I am currently working in the NHS on the IAPT (Increasing Access to Psychological therapies) scheme working with individuals one-to-one and work as a freelance counsellor for various counselling organisations in Surrey.
I have extensive counselling experience of working with Deaf people with a range of communication styles (Oral and BSL users)/ deafened/ Hard of hearing).
My formal qualifications are :
- Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences, Sussex University
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, Roehampton University
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling, Middlesex University
- Advanced 4 year Psychotherapy Training in Transactional Analysis and Couples Therapy Training, Metanoia Institute, Ealing, London
- UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy)
- BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- EATA (European Institute of Transactional Analysis)
- IARTA (International Association for Relational Transactional analysis)
- Metanoia Institute
I am fully insured and have regular supervision and abide by the ethical guidelines of the BACP, IARTA and EATA. I attend regular CPD courses to increase my knowledge and expertise in this field.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Relational Psychotherapy
- Love Addiction
- Gender and Identity issues
- Family Issues
- Multi-faith relationships
- Sense of not belonging
- Sense of alienation
- Living across cultures
- Deaf couples or mixed Deaf / hearing couples
- Gay, lesbian & transgender couples & Individuals
- British Sign Language (BSL)
- Sign Supported English
- Visual Frame Signing
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Person-centred therapy
- Psychoanalytical and psychodynamic
Photos & videos
Initial consultation of 30 mins - Free
Daytime 9am - 4pm -£40 individual sessions lasting 50 mins
Evening 6pm - 9pm -£50 individual sessions lasting 50 mins
£55.00 couples sessions lasting one hour
Concessions are available between 9am-4pm. I have limited availability for reduced rate if you are on a low income. Please enquire when contacting me.
Although I am based in North Surrey, I am willing to travel to clients local area subject to funding being available to cover travel time and cost and any additional costs such as room hire.
For further details, please click on my website link above. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will reply as soon as possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
9:00 - 16:00 & evenings from 18:00 to 21:00 weekdays
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|