Victoria Nelson BSc (Hons), MBACP registered
'It's the relationship that heals' Yalom
My greatest passion as a therapist is bringing healing to people that have been through a stressful/ traumatic time. Life brings stresses and sometimes these can be overwhelming and our lives start to unravel. My aim to support clients, children (14 years onwards), young adults, couples and adults to develop healthier ways of coping and living, so they can view themselves as complete and whole individuals and go on to have to more stable and safe relationships with others.
I offer psychotherapy and counselling, both long term and short term. Psychotherapy is at its best with questions about life and love relationships, and feelings of emptiness or lacking purpose.
If you are looking for a psychotherapeutic counsellor or therapist in Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge, Esher, Claygate, Shepperton, or Hersham, send me an email where we can organise a free 30-minute consultation.
I offer clients different models of therapy that can be chosen or offered using my experience.
Please see below a short description on what therapy models I offer.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is a talking therapy that can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave. It's most commonly used to treat anxiety and depression, but can be useful for other mental and physical health problems.
Transactional Analysis (TA) is a widely recognised form of modern psychology that involves a set of practical conceptual tools designed to promote personal growth and change.TA therapy is based on the theory that each person has three ego states: Parent, Adult, and Child.
Schema Therapy (or more properly, Schema-Focused Cognitive Therapy) is an integrative approach to treatment that combines the best aspects of cognitive-behavioural, experiential, interpersonal and psychoanalytic therapies into one unified model, ideally suited for clients who suffer from personality disorders, chronic depression, emotional dysregulation, and other difficult individual and couples problems.
Schema therapy has recently been blended with mindfulness meditation for clients who want to add a spiritual dimension to their lives.
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is an approach to psychotherapy that was originally created as a relapse-prevention treatment for depression. Mindfulness and mindfulness meditation, focus on becoming aware of all incoming thoughts and feelings and accepting them, but not attaching or reacting to them.
Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) is a system of psychotherapy that integrates techniques from cognitive behavioural therapy with concepts from evolutionary psychology, social psychology, developmental psychology, Buddhist psychology, and neuroscience.
I have over 10 years of experience for both individuals and couples looking for solutions to:
- Relationship difficulties and divorce; bereavement, grief, and loss
- Anger management; depression, anxiety, and panic attacks
- Abuse (sexual, emotional, physical and mental)
- Trauma and stress; low self-esteem; addictions and eating disorders
- Mid-life crisis; spiritual difficulties; redundancy
- Sense of not belonging and alienation or living across cultures; Identity
- Sex, Sexuality, and gender
My private practice is based in Hersham, Walton-on-Thames In Surrey. My consulting office is in my garden with its own private entrance.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have extensive counselling experience in loss and addictions (Drug, Alcohol, Sex, Food, Gambling) support agencies (ASCA), in schools and colleges with children & young adults and counselling agencies in SW London.
I work part time in the NHS on the IAPT (Increasing Access to Psychological therapies) scheme working with individuals one-to-one and work as a freelance counsellor for various counselling organisations in Surrey and the UK.
I am a managing director and owner of a counselling service with a team of counsellors in the UK.
I am a member of the Diversity and Equality committee at Metanoia training Institute, Ealing.
My formal qualifications are :
- Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences, Sussex University
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, Roehampton University
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling, Middlesex University
- Advanced 4 year Psychotherapy Master's Training in Transactional Analysis and Couples Therapy Training, Metanoia Institute, Ealing, London
- UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy)
- BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- EATA (European Institute of Transactional Analysis)
- IARTA (International Association for Relational Transactional analysis)
- Metanoia Institute
I am fully insured and have regular supervision and abide by the ethical guidelines of the BACP, IARTA and EATA. I attend regular CPD courses to increase my knowledge and expertise in this field.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Person-centred therapy
- Psychoanalytical and psychodynamic
Initial consultation of 30 mins - Free
£45 per session in the day 9-5pm
£50 per session in the evening 6-9pm
£60 per 60-minute session
Concessions are available between 9am-4pm. I have limited availability for reduced rate if you are on a low income.
Those on benefits or low incomes can apply for our Reduced Fee Scheme. Please enquire if you are on a low income.
Although I am based in North Surrey, I am willing to travel to clients local area subject to funding being available to cover travel time and cost and any additional costs such as room hire.
For further details, please click on my website link above. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will reply as soon as possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||BSL (British Sign Language)|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|