Patricia Miller - MBACP, Adv. Dip. Couns.
Most of us experience powerful feelings of stress, anger and disappointment at some stage in our lives. Perhaps because of something that has happened recently or events that have happened in our past. Dealing with these feelings can be very difficult alone.
In a caring and sensitive manner I can help you to recognise, understand and resolve the difficulties that are affecting the quality of your life.
~ How would we achieve this?
As a fully qualified therapist I primarily use a type of therapy known as Psychodynamic. It is regarded as one of the most effective forms of therapy for a broad range of conditions including anxiety, depression, relationship issues and bereavement.
Together we will explore the deep-rooted issues in your life that typically manifest themselves as negative feelings, behaviours and beliefs. We will then develop techniques and strategies that will enable you to deal with these feelings more effectively, in turn creating lasting changes in the quality of your life.
We could also consider complementing this approach with Mindfulness. The practice of Mindfulness develops our attention to what is happening in the present moment, and accepting whatever is happening there, without judgement. It can bring significant benefits in terms of reducing negative thoughts and anxiety.
~ How much would it cost?
I charge between £20 and £40 per 50 minute session, depending on your circumstances.
~ How many sessions would I need?
That depends on the nature of your requirements. An initial assessment will identify the focus of your therapy.
~ Where am I based?
I run a home-based practice from the village of East Ogwell, just outside Newton Abbot. There is ample parking and good access by bus.
~ Why choose me?
- I am fully qualified, experienced and use a proven type of therapy.
- I offer a very comfortable, convenient and peaceful location that ensures both safety and confidentiality.
- My charges are not fixed; they will reflect your personal ability to pay.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked within the NHS and private sector with learning disability and mental health clients for twenty years. During this time I developed a specific interest in counselling.
Ten years ago I started training to become a fully qualified psychodynamic counsellor. Having completed my diploma I proceeded to work as a counsellor for the Devon Partnership NHS Trust.
During this time I have worked with a range of clients in the following areas: generalized anxiety & stress, bereavement, gender issues, eating disorders, domestic abuse & childhood sexual and physical abuse.
I also provide voluntary bereavement and home support to the Rowcroft Hospice in Torquay.
I am a full member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory (NCFE)
- Higher Diploma in Psychodynamic Therapy (NCFE)
- Victims of Violence and Abuse Prevension training (NHS)
- Conflict Resolution training (NHS)
- Compassion focused therapy (NHS)
- - Anger, Rage and Relationships (Cruse)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- £35 to £40 per session (according to client circumstances).
- An initial assessment lasting up to 90 minutes will identify the focus of the therapy, costing £50 (irrespective of client circumstances).
- Further sessions will be on a weekly basis, lasting 50 minutes.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client