Helen King (MBACP) - Practical & Mindful approaches to Living & Relating.
07985 041 060
Come, find some breathing space - "press pause" on the difficult stuff - and let some clarity shine through. I'll help you let-go of exhausting, repetitive thoughts and fears about being unable to control outcomes, of "not knowing" or feeling heard. Come and talk freely and openly with me about what you'd like to see different.
There is no fee for our initial meeting, as it is more of an info-gathering session and as much for you to ask questions of me.
My personal style is open and laid-back, conversational rather than vacuous silent nodding, and with the sole aim of you opening out your life, understanding and appreciating yourself more, and engaging in more interesting relationships with others.
My photo (above) is of a print that hangs in my office - when you look at it one way, it could be underwater plants, yet, in another way, it could be garden plants. I like the fact that we all see life in different ways - with the option to see something from another angle, if we so choose.
Originally, I trained to MSc-level in the traditional psychotherapy of Transactional Analysis (TA) and re-skilled in 2014/15 in the contemporary, outcome-focused Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) - with additional training over the years in Trauma, Couples Therapy and Mindful approaches to living.
Initial consultation: 50 mins (no fee) - for an individual or a couple.
Short-term: weekly / 50 minutes / £45.00 per session.
12 weeks utilising a blend of Acceptance & Commitment Therapy and Transactional Analysis.
Longer-term therapy: weekly / 50 minutes / £45.00 per session.
Open-ended - going deeper - working with both conscious issues and unconscious feelings, for longer-lasting change.
On-line counselling:weekly / 50 minutes.
By arrangement only, utilising online conference software VSee. Offered to those who are logistically unable to come into the office.
Early-bird appointments: I reserve a couple of weekly slots for those who like to/can rise early. They start from 8am - or otherwise appointments are a mix of daytime/evening.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced training in Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT is a division of Association of Contextual Behavioural Science).
- PGDip Transactional Analysis Psychotherapeutic Studies (Middlesex University)
- Advanced training (MSc) in Transactional Analysis psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute).
- Trauma Therapy training (Wealdon College)
- Addictions training (ASCA)
- Various training, including: "Integral Model for Treating Trauma & Addiction"; "Addiction & Narcissism" (LifeWorks Community)
- Working with Groups, Working with Couples, Bodywork (Metanoia)
- Bowlby Attachment Relationships (PPA)
- Bereavement Counselling (Kingston Bereavement)
- Motivational Interviewing (Kingston Strategic Partnership)
- Various NHS in-depth training (workshop based and on-the-job) in Mental Health procedure and diagnosis (Kingston & District PCT)
Other relevant training
- Beliefs and Values in World Religions (WLIHE)
- 12-Step model of working with addictive behaviours.
- 7 years private practice.
- 3 years counselling with ASCA, Richmond (Addiction Support & Care Agency)
- One year counselling in a centre for survivors of sexual and domestic abuse
- One year counselling with Metanoia Institute Clinic - clients with varied issues
- One year employed as Programme Assistant, Lifeworks Community, Surrey - private residential addictions rehab
- 3 years: Kingston & District Community NHS Trust - serving on a panel reviewing patients who have been Sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
- Administrating and marketing the BFSS National RE (Interfaith) Centre, focused on celebrating difference in society and running workshops and courses for State school teachers.
- I have considerable life experience, and hold a managerial background in marketing, manufacturing and strategy consultancy.
I am registered with and adhere to the following organisations' codes of ethics
- BACP - MBACP/Registered (Member British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists)
- ACBS (Association of Contextual Behavioural Science)
- BPS (British Psychological Society / ordinary member)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Loss of Self
Business counselling / Work issues
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Equine therapy
Individuals: £45.00 per session.
Couples: £65.00 per session.
Initial consultation: no fee.
If availability allows, I reserve some places for reduced fee clients, depending on income and circumstances. This can be discussed at our first meeting.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evenings.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I have constructive and creative supervision with David Tidsall (TSTA) in High Wycombe, and highly recommend him to other psychotherapists.View supervision profile