Janet Astle Senior practitioner ~ Member MNCS (Accred)
Looking for the “right” therapist or Coach is a little like shopping on-line but with symptoms to guide you in your search. Where there are lots of professionals offering ways of helping you, but you don’t really know what "all of that" means. Meanwhile you are perhaps trying to juggle life with feelings which may be uncomfortable, painful, confusing, overwhelming or even actually non-existent. My video below may be helpful!
So you are here searching, hoping the therapist or Coach will have the answers to help you!
I really do know how difficult this can be, I have experienced it myself – yes, I have “been in therapy”. It is a requirement of many training organisations and I chose to continue for some time after my Psychotherapy training to “get to know myself” better and what I needed to support me in life – So I really do get it!
Clients like knowing that. They also like that there is nothing I offer which I haven’t experienced myself as a client at some stage in my life. I know it works; many years ago it saved my life!
One of the most unhelpful ways to think of ourselves is that one day we will be perfect, fixed etc
and the thing is that while you focus on that you aren’t being there for YourSelf in the present, perhaps like so many others in your life. One of the reasons we feel discomfort, sadness or anger is that;
- We are hurting in some way and need support
- Someone at some time didn’t give us the support we wanted (perhaps in the past, recent or distant)
- And now you are also not giving YourSelf attention and support in the same way.
Make sense? You can’t be fixed, because you aren’t broken, it just feels that way.
So....... whatever service you may be looking for, I am not going to tell you I have the answers you want, but I do have many things you will need!
- Tools - You can use to help you understand and cope with what is happening right now
- Clarity – Around what exactly IS happening and not what it appears to be
- Knowledge - And Self wisdom, knowing yourself much better than you did before
- Skills - To identify something which may be a trigger, an unhelpful pattern or way of being
- Boundaries – To enable you to support those around you, but no longer at a cost to YourSelf
- Peace – How to locate that stillness within you, that IS a kind of achievement worth having
- Self Love – This is an ultimate, which we all strive for but often look for in others around us
Ultimately – What I would say to you here is that this is a potential turning point in your life, it may feel like a breakdown in some way (I use the term Breakthrough) but whatever it is you are searching for, it is your choice to make the most of this opportunity, however uncomfortable or painful it may be. I understand.
If you would like to talk more about how I can help you personally, then please do contact me. There is never any expectation from me that you will continue, unless it feels right.
Training, qualifications & experience
Experience ~ To include over 30 Years in Healthcare & WellBeing
Voluntary Work & Experience:
- Cruse Bereavement Care - Offering 1 - 1 Counselling to children and adults within their own home, working with issues around grief and loss. Later Supervision training leading to supervision of other volunteers.
- Checkpoint (Children's Society) Working in outreach destinations such as GP surgeries and Brixham Youth Enquiry offering 1 - 1 counselling to young adults with varying issues from bullying, abuse, alcohol & drug use to relationships.
- South Devon Women's Aid offering 1 - 1 counselling to women with varying issues around loss, bullying and domestic violence.
- Checkpoint group work "Esteem" with young adults exploring and building confidence and self-esteem.
- Children and Families in Grief - Working with families that have experienced a significant loss.
- BTEC D32 33 Assessors Award
- NEBS Management Certificate 1998/9
- Cruse Bereavement Care Bereavement Counselling Skills February 2001
- Advanced Diploma (Level 4) Therapeutic Counselling 2005 - awarding body CPCAB.
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy level 2 October 2007. Devon Counselling College
- Cruse Bereavement Care Accreditation certificate 20th May 2008
- Diploma in Hypnotherapy July 2008
- Sand Play Therapy September 2008
- Level 6 Diploma in Body Psychotherapy
- Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Supervision (Marjon) 2011
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Grief and Loss:
I specialise in grief and loss which we often experience with an ending of some kind. We can experience loss in all areas of life and often don't realise this may be what's happening.
Self esteem, confidence, respect & loss of Self identity
Innocence, childhood, status, home, role, way of life, relationship, redundancy
Also many other things which can affect us in a similar way to an actual death.
Whatever concern Clients may bring at some stage, often there is some grief connected to loss within their lives.
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
Photos & videos
- Psychotherapy, Counselling and Coaching - Individual £40 Per hour
- Consultancy, Supervision & Mentoring - Individual £45 per hour
Family work around Bereavement is available, please contact me to discuss any queries you may have.
I also offer group supervision, Coaching & Mentoring, please contact me for further details
*Student rates available, please contact me regarding this.
I am happy to receive cash payments, cheques and direct bank transfers
How it works:
Ok so you have read the above and want to know more.....
- You contact me or give me details on how to contact you if that is preferable
- Depending on the service:
Counselling / Psychotherapy / Supervision / Mentoring (or organisational Consultancy)
I offer a complimentary 30 minute consultation space. This gives opportunity for you to ask questions and to see if we feel comfortable in working together to meet your needs.
Coaching – I offer a 30 minute breakthrough session. In this complimentary 30 minute space is opportunity for you to ask questions, receive some coaching and learn how to shift your thinking towards the possibility of change.
- You visit my practice which is based in Brixham and outline the concern or problem you want help with and we discuss a way of working together and agree to continue or not.
You may also wish to go away and think about whether or not you want to continue.
Either way is absolutely fine, I won’t take anything personally if you choose not to work with me; I know how important it is to find the “right” person at this time!
If you choose to continue then we book a block of 4 – 6 sessions, in the first of which I will complete an assessment gaining all the basic information I need. I write and you just talk to help me fill out the form.
If you have any further questions then please do get in touch.
You will note my experience and qualifications here, if you need updates to that please contact me by email.
Check my website for free supportive gifts, to include a 10 minute meditation.
I also run free meditative sessions in Torbay, you will find more on face book at Sadhana Southwest, let me know if you would like to come along, or email me / message me here.
My practice is easily accessible and sits on the number 17 bus route, there is also on street parking available
There is sloping disabled access to my practice followed by 2 small steps at intervals within, however this may be unsuitable for a wheelchair user.
Thank you for reading and I wish you well...
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
My practice is open between 10am - 7pm Monday to Thursday and between 10am - 12.30pm on Fridays *Evening and emergency appointments are available on request
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Hello..View supervision profile