Sharon Christie-Connor FDAP (ACCREDITED)
Sometimes we just need someone to listen, and that's where counselling comes in.
There are no "rules" about how long to come to a counsellor, everyone's different.
My counselling room is situated in Elgin Chiropractor Clinic on the corner of Commerce Street and South Street in Elgin, just opposite Beaver Travel.
I offer counselling for just about anything that can cause problems in a person's life, be it bereavement, low self-esteem, stress, anger, depression or anxiety, to name just a few.
The first appointment is a chance to see if we would be able to work together and lasts about an hour and costs £30..
Appointments are available 7 days a week. If you need an early morning slot before work, or one after work in the evening, I'll be able to offer one. If weekends suit better, there are slots then too. So all in all, you shouldn't have to wait very long at all to get a time that suits you.
I specialise in addiction counselling(drugs, alcohol, gambling or food/eating disorders). I'm a person-centered trained counsellor, and so offering empathic, non-judgemental support and understanding is of the utmost importance to me. I also offer counselling to the families of people who are addicted.
I am a fully accredited member of the Federation of Drug and Alcohol Professionals (FDAP).
I also offer short term solution focused therapy on various areas, which means that clients can have between four and six sessions and instead of focusing on the problem, we focus on how the client would like it to be and we develop a way of achieving this.
Have You a Problem with Alcohol?(CAGE Questionnaire)
1. Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?
2. Have people annoyed you by criticising your drinking?
3. Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking?
4. Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover (eye-opener)?
STRESS - A NEW PHENOMENON?
Are you stressed? Find out by taking the test below.
Answer yes or no to the following twenty questions.
1. Do you frequently neglect your diet (e.g. skip meals)?
2. Do you frequently try to do everything yourself?
3. Do you frequently blow up easily?
4. Do you frequently set unrealistic goals?
5. Do you frequently fail to see the funny side of things?
6. Do you frequently get easily irritated?
7. Do you frequently make a "big deal" of everything?
8. Do you frequently complain that you are disorganized?
9. Do you frequently keep everything inside (and don’t confide in people)?
10. Do you frequently neglect exercise?
11. Do you frequently have few supportive relationships?
12. Do you frequently get too little rest?
13. Do you frequently get angry when you are kept waiting?
14. Do you frequently ignore stress symptoms?
15. Do you frequently put things off until later?
16. Do you frequently think there is only one right way to do something?
17. Do you frequently fail to build relaxation into every day?
18. Do you frequently spend a lot of time complaining and fretting about the past?
19. Do you frequently race through the day?
20. Do you frequently feel unable to cope with all you have to do?
(This test is meant to help you judge for yourself if you are stressed or not. If you feel that you are, it is advised to speak to your G.P.)
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained and work as an Addiction Therapist at The Alexander Clinic in Oldmeldrum, Aberdeenshire
Hazelden Diploma in Addiction Counselling 2007
Hazelden Diploma in Addiction Studies 2007
Practitioner Skills for Eating Disorders from the National Centre For Eating Disorders, London 2009.
Volunteer support worker for the Rape and Abuse Line (RAL in Dingwall, Ross-Shire) 2009.
Skills used: CBT, RT, REBT, MI
Areas of counselling I deal with
Photos & videos
£30 for a one hour session
Many of us have our hair washed or cut or coloured or styled on a regular basis. We go to the beauty salon every so often, we update our wardrobes every season. The result is that we usually look good on the outside, but what about the inside? How long does the "fix" last for? What do we do to get our "oil change" in the inside? - our emotional side? Left neglected, the little things become like the stone in our shoe. Having 1-1 counselling is probably one of the most worth-while investments you can make in yourself. You can learn some useful life skills in addition to the ones you already have, and it's not just yourself who benefits.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Early morning right through to late evening, including weeknds, seven days a week
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|