Lynn Barnes UKCP AND BACP reg. Psychotherapist
How can I help you?
Are you are having a relationship issue, feeling low or just need to talk to someone, I offer short and long term counselling and psychotherapy in Twickenham from a confidential, quiet office in the garden of my home. People that visit the office find it a calming, soothing space where they feel comfortable talking about the things in their life that have bought them to counselling.
As well as offering counselling and psychotherapy for depression, anxiety, phobias, relationship issues and general stress I have specilaist training, knowledge and experience to help people recovery from all types of traumatic events.
The type of counselling I offer include talking therapy but I will also offer you other tools and techniques such as Mindfulness or CBT or EMDR as appropriate. However it is generally our thereupeutic relationship that is the most important part of the therapy.
Specialist Trauma Counselling
I am a trauma specialist helping people resolve the impact of traumatic experiences on their mind, bodies and lives. Traumatic experiences such as abuse, assault, rape, road traffic accidents, bullying and/or harassment, life changing medical diagnosis, natural disasters or the traumatic death of a person can cause depression, anxiety, relationship difficulties, addictions and a number of other symptoms including dissociation. Please contact me if you wish to discuss whether your circumstances fall into this area.
Other Types of Counselling and Psychotherapy
I offer counselling and psychotherapy for generalised anxiety disorder, panic attacks, depression, anxiety symptoms, relationship issues, phobias and many more. These are listed further down in my profile. This can be for limited number of sessions such as 6, 8 or 12 or more open ended such as 12+.
Having worked in Occupational Health units I also offer stress reduction counselling and utilise mindfulness to help reduce the stress response. When you are feeling calmer in yourself, the environemnt around you feels calmer and you can feel more in control and cope with the ups and downs of life.
In the first session I will ask you a number of questions to get to know you and what brings you to counselling. I will also ask what you want from our sessions. We will discuss your goals and if these are realistic to the therapy I can offer. At the end of this first session I will discuss with you what the next step will be. There is no obligation to book further sessions if you decide you do not want to.
I accept that most people seeking counselling are not concerned with what theories and techniques I am familiar with and that is the therapeutic relationship and what happens in sessions that is important.
However for those that are interested I refer to theory from a number of different models such as person centered, transactional analysis, attachment theory, Gestalt, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and body psychotherapy. I also have an interest in how the brain and mind work and how they influence our thoughts, feelings and body sensations. The wisdom of the body is often untouched in many of the traditioanl appraoches that concentreate on 'talking therapy'
If you would like to know more about the theories I refer to please ask.
- I am registered by UKCP and on their Accredited voluntary register
- I am a member of BACP and on their Accredited voluntary register
- I am an Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) Accredited Practitioner
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a range of experience and have been helping people for over 10 years.
- Private practice since 2007 - long term and short term counselling and psychotherapy
- Occupational Health/Workplace Experience - Transport for London Counselling and Trauma Service, NHS Psychological Well - Being Service.
- GP referred practice
- Private clinic in London
- MSc Integrative Psychotherapy (Metanoia/Middlesex University)
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute)
- EMDR Training - Parts 1,2,3 & Accredited EMDR Practitioner (Approved Training by EMDR International Association and EMDR Europe Association)
- Post Graduate Foundation Certificate in Cogntiive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (Metanoia Institute)
- Certificate in Couples Work (Metanoia Institute)
- Level 1: Affect Dysregulation, Survival Defenses and Traumatic Memory (Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute
Continuing Professional Development
I regularly attend professional development workshops and peer group discussions to ensure my practice incorporates the latest developments in the fields of counselling, psychotherapy, neuroscience, trauma, EMDR and mindfulness.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Personality disorders
Photos & videos
One to One sessions
Monday - Thursday 8am - 3.30pm - £55
Monday - Thursday 5pm - 7.30pm - £60
I ask for 48 hours notice of appointment cancellation other the session will still have to be paid for
Please feel free to phone me to ask any questions or just talk through if counselling is the right step for you. There is no obligation to book an appointment.
I understand you may be anxious about making that first step to contact a counsellor. I am used to that and will help you to make the right decision for you at the time.
I am able to take private health referrals from BUPA and Aviva for psychotherapy. These must be pre-authorized by the relevant company.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - Morning / evening Tuesday / Wednesday/ Thursday - afternoon/ evening
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|